Is your Gun Store Overpricing Things?

Does Your Gun Store Price Gouge?

• Yes

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No

Votes: 32 43.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There is no such thing as gouging, you either agree - willingly - to pay his asking price, or you do not. If he is selling all his products at his asking prices, then he has them priced just right, even if you think they aren't nice.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, brick and mortar stores have more overhead than online retailers. Some sell the guns at higher prices, some sell the guns cheap and try to make their profit on the accessories or the range, or selling coffee and hot dogs in the corner.

Staying in business and staying profitable is tough. And while the local stores offer the advice, knowledge, and convenience that an e-store can't, it comes at a cost.

Local gun shops aren't just brick and mortar. They are boutique stores. Compare diamond earrings at a local store to ones on-line and see if your jaw doesn't drop at the difference.

I voted know because the LGS is a completely different distribution network than the big chain stores and they have their place. Most that last have some sort of expertise in a certain niche of the firearms community. Some are great environments for people with a lot of free time to sit around and talk. Some are attached to ranges or have other amenities.

Don't go into a Bass Pro shop or similar and expect to get good answers to any of your questions. You might get lucky, but probably not.

Just don't be the guy who goes into a local shop, wastes a bunch of time asking questions, then buys something online to save $50. Unless they don't give you correct answers. Then waste all their time you want and buy online.

Last edited:
I have a few LGS in the area. I regulary visit two. I have visited all of them to know that they do not have what I want. The LGS that I visit the most is just down the street a few blocks.

If a store's prices are to high they will lack customers and be out of business.

I see the prices and all the prices on everything seem high but then I remember purchasing .22 Long Rifle for 35 cents a box.

What's a gun store? I haven't been to one in over a year.

I get all my ammo, guns, accessories, reloading supplies...etc...online. No driving around or calling shops or big boxes to be placed on hold then finding out they don't carry the item.

The convenience of getting exactly what I need when I need it, having everything delivered to my UPS Store, and not paying sales tax (most of the time) outweighs the cost of shipping. To tell the truth, the prices in the brick and mortars are usually much higher anyway.

I have one local shop and one big box store that I frequent. During the last dust up, the LGS raised prices immediately due to the increased demand. They were exorbitant and it almost put them out of business. Sportsman's Warehouse, on the other hand , kept the same pricing and naturally sold out of rifles and most popular ammo within days.

Those are the people I want to deal with. I go to Sportsman's Warehouse a lot.

The LGS seems to have learned their lesson but only time will tell. The upshot for me is I order my ammo from Ammoman and have it dropped right at my front door. If Sportsman's Warehouse has a gun I like, I just buy it. If I have to order it, I will go to Bud's Guns or Able Ammo and have it shipped to the LGS. I keep a membership at the LGS because they have an indoor range but I can tell you the volume of business there has dropped off a LOT. They really crapped in their nests and it has hurt them. They only have themselves to blame.

There is a new LGS in the area now. Healy's Firearms and they have a VERY nice selection. They do not discount their inventory but neither do they inflate their prices. It is owned and operated by two retired police officers and they are exceptionally nice and patient with customers. In the last year, I relieved them of a PPK, P227, P938, P227 Equinox, P320, Sig 1911 Nightmare Fastback, TRP and a Spartan. I also picked up a Bushmaster that was on sale.

Last edited:
LGS have overhead to meet. They have to charge more as they can't afford the amount of firearms like big box stores have.On line is cheaper to buy because don't have to pay taxes on purchesas either.

No gun shops/stores in my hometown. Pawn shops are pricey here though, and the gun shows are ridiculously overpriced when they come to my area.(not my hometown) but two towns over. I can't fathom how those guys can stay in business.

I recall 40 cents a box, too.

I bought some collectible 22lr ammo in boxes from an old-timer at a show, he said he bought ten bricks in 1939 for 9 cents a box, then the war intervened and most of it stayed in storage, then life got in the way. He was selling it for ten bucks a box, and some folks bought some for shooting.

I don't think so ... I can usually get something cheaper at a gun show, but their prices are always under MSRP and I don't begrudge them a fair profit ... If I happen to see something I want while I'm at a gun show, I'm not likely to run to the LGS ... but if I'm looking for something specific ... LGS it is

+1 to TOM SERVO'S comment.

Smaller stores lack the buying power of the big box stores, among other things. Additionally, if an item is priced commensurate to the rate and price at which it may be readily replaced, and isn't being cleaned off the shelf, it's probably pretty close to what the market will bear.

That's the guy that's too lazy to shop around.
"Shopping around" means spending a lot of time checking on who can save you a few pennies, and having to pay the full price upon ordering.

Using the same distributors all the time allows you to get special deals at , and allows you to set up credit accounts to give you time to turn over merchandise before the full payment is required.

On line is cheaper to buy because don't have to pay taxes on purchesas either.

Unless you live in a state with no sales tax, technically (and legally) you are required to remit the same amount of tax as a "use" tax.

There are definitely stores that gouge or take advantage, which, around here anyway, was completely evident during the past couple of panics.

I understand supply and demand and all, but why would I pay double at the shops who raised their prices almost overnight, when another a little farther away, didnt raise them at all?

Watching what went on, and talking to people at the various shops, you can tell who knows the game, and shops around all the time, not just during the panics, and those who are panic prone, and prone to be taken advantage of.

Most of the people I talked to around here, are of the later group, and a number of the dealers, were well aware of that, and were driving the panic hard as well.

Ill patronize the shops that did their best to get through things without gouging, even if I have to go out of my way to go there. The others..... well, they chose their path, and they wont be getting any of my money.

You know, we are our own worst enemy here too. Those who are serious about this, do their best to stock up constantly, and have stuff put back, as best they can, to carry them through. Those who wait for the panic, get what they waited for.

I think the big difference there too is, those who panic, seem to get totally different things from the internet, than those who dont. All they seem to get are the conspiracy theories driving the panic.

I got a steady stream of components, and usually at reasonable, albeit, somewhat higher prices as the theories wore on. :)

Im still getting them regularly too. ;)

Last week, Remington primers at Shyda's, $20/1000. Local "gouge" shop...$45/1000. Was well worth the drive.

Well, except for that "78 in a 55" on the way home. :rolleyes: They got me this time, but Im still WAY ahead there too. :D

hardware store / gun store prices

Winchester 9mm ball $40 a box 50rds

Winchester .45 auto 100rd value pack $89.99 a box

it seems like they buy their ammo at Walmart and mark up the prices?

makes me wonder who would be dumb enough to buy their ammo?

most of it is still gathering dust on the shelf from the last time I checked.

this place is a hardware store and has a hunting / gun dept

last week picked up a 555 round box of winchester 22s 23 $
20 rounds 223 federal 7 $
agulia 38 super 20 $
agulia 9x21 20 $
witness match 38 super 605 plus tax

That's the guy that's too lazy to shop around.

"Shopping around" means spending a lot of time checking on who can save you a few pennies, and having to pay the full price upon ordering.

Using the same distributors all the time allows you to get special deals at , and allows you to set up credit accounts to give you time to turn over merchandise before the full payment is required.

Horse manure. Shopping around different distributors can save you more than "pennies."

it seems like they buy their ammo at Walmart and mark up the prices?

Which is exactly what one greedy local SOB guns shop owner was doing in this small town. He would send his confederates into Walmart, have them buy all the ammo, then mark it up in his own shop.

"Capitalism?" Sure, some of you may make that claim, but as far as I'm concerned it's taking advantage of a bad situation to line one's own pockets.

Back