Does Your Gun Store Price Gouge?

• Yes

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No

Votes: 32 43.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
9miller said:
I went to the range today to shoot, I'm looking to buy a .45 next so I asked what they were charging for a box of cheap FMJ. The answer, $32. I said "FOR 50?!"

How much is 9mm FMJ at the range?

Paying range prices for ammo is like paying movie theater prices for soft drinks and pro football stadium prices for beer.

If you're not smart enough to bring your supplies with you (where permitted), then you pay for the convenience of having someone else provide them at the location for you.

Its been my experience at most of the shops Ive been in, that they mark up everything but the guns, 100%+. Its where they make their money. The guns are just a draw to get you in there.

I dont buy ammo (or most other things anymore) in gun shops, and have always bought by the case, even before the internet. I have yet to see gun shop prices for the same ammo at anything less than double what I paid for it.

Nothing like getting to the range and now they say that you can't use your ammunition.
Or
Some other reason you have to buy theirs.

And yet another reason to walk out, and tell them why as you go.

Hopefully, they arent the only place for you to shoot. If they are, youre about screwed, so suck it up and pay up. No one is taking advantage. :rolleyes:

I won't go to ranges that won't let me use my reloads.

A local range charges you $15 a day for a range pass if they sell you the ammo, but $15 per hour if you supply your own (and no reloads allowed). Sounds like a good way to p&^% off the people who reload to me, and they won't get my business. $15 a day is too much and $15 an hour is highway robbery.

On the other hand, a fairly convenient public range charges $10 a day and I can shoot anything I want, and pick up my brass and others' afterwards. I often come home with more than $10 in additional brass.

The only indoor range where I am is $16/hour. You're not supposed to bring in reloads......but................;) (they ARE in factory boxes)

I understand the apprehension about reloads and insurance, etc. But I am also nice and clean up MY brass (and anyone else's who doesn't reload):cool:

Yes there is one gun shop I browse from time to time with ridiculous prices, but that's not the issue. They can charge whatever they want. Like 44amp said it is the free market. The issue is that silly people seem to be too lazy to go somewhere else, too stupid to know its a terrible price, or too wimpy to try to bargain and they buy it at that price anyway. Don't buy over priced things, and the prices will likely go down.

My local range used to sell ammo they reloaded in house. They had .44 special loads for $30 a box of 50. I bought several boxes. Then there price went up to $40 per box. They lost my business for sure!

Plus, interestingly enough, they are in the same building as a tactical supply store. They are connected by a short hallway. Both the range and tactical store sell guns and do FFL transfers. But, the range charges $25 for transfers... the tactical store only charges $15! So by literally walking thirty feet to the tactical store, you'll save $10. Sadly I see people doing FFL transfers at the range all the time and am afraid to speak up in front of the workers!

After many years I forayed back to a public range/gun store. After a few visits, I grew unimpressed and also grew weary of the constant barrage of excuses as to why I had to use "Their" ammunition. They allowed your ammunition if they could see it first. Mostly I was told that some of it had Lake City head stamps and that was military grade ammunition. I dunno, I'd love to shoot at real ranges, but whatever, the forest is hassle free.

Back