Is this normal size for a wolf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't go by weight for the world record but by the skull size. Last known the skull was waiting a drying period and then was to be measured. Go in the link to the website of the guy who shot it (in my last post). It gives should give some info in there (but doesn't).

I've also found these pictures and stories blown all out of proportion and where it was shot. It now weighs 235 lbs. and is growing!! And it was shot in 2011 instead of 2009. :D

http://www.grimsmonstermix.com/

And since the timing is right...

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/thegrey/

Last edited:
You keep posting a link for an animal attractant product. If you go to the wolf picture, you don't get any information. The link is broken.

http://www.grimsmonstermix.com/images/gallery/p9.jpg

Go in the link to the website of the guy who shot it (in my last post).

Okay, here is your last post. The only link you provide is to the attractant.

WRONG!!!

I FOUND it!!

Magazine was "Big Buck" fall edition Vol. 23 No. 2 2009

Article "Potential World Record Wolf" by Jeff Grimolfson

Weight claimed 197 lbs.

Location Glenevis, Alberta

The pictures at the start of this post are from his article.

He's got it on vidocamera and it aired on "The Hunting Chronicles" on "Wild TV"

www.grimsmonstermix.com website

I don't see where in any of your posts that there is a link to the guy who shot the supposed record weight wolf.

There is a gallery with the guy's pic with the wolf but the large pic is not there. But it IS the guy who shot it and it DOES mention the fact. The outfit ALSO sells an attractant and also offers guide services.

Write the guy bitching about it. Don't tell me! :o

http://www.grimsmonstermix.com/gallery.htm

Have a question? Tell us what you think about Grim's Monster Mix and Bear Bait In A Bucket. White Claw Outfitters want to hear from you!

White Claw Outfitters
21-540-30 Range Road 274
T7X 3S9
Spruce Grove, Alberta

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 339
Glenevis, Alberta
T0E 0X0

tel. (780) 983 8224
sales@grimsmonstermix.com

Jeff Grimolfson Owner/Operator

(Jim Johnston is the guy who shot the wolf)

Last edited:
And I guess I need to put this in here.....

No, you don't need to put them in here. Those images are copyrighted materials.

Please review TFL's copyrighted materials policy, found on the rules page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for assuring everyone that my pictures are real. I am 6'. That little female can look me face to face when she stands up tall. The big 90 lbs black male stands 7' tall. He can and does put his paws on my shoulders and look over the top of my head. I can give my professional opinion on wolf size for what it's worth. I did a thesis on wolf reintroduction in the us but more specifically the genetic mutations.and human interactions causing larger wolves. Let me be clear the largest wolf ever recorded in the us was around 175 lbs. This is the largest confirmed report. I am inclined to believe that there are larger wolves out there due to a constant genetic mutations causing larger wolves but that has never been confirmed. This is based on the fact that I've worked with males in captivity pushing upwards of 160 lbs. The thing is these old males were more well fed than physically massive like the wolves in question from the op. This leads me to believe that a lot of those pictures are either photoshoped or perspective picture, you know the ones where the African lion looks 900lbs. All the wolves pushing upwards of 160 lbs and more were big slow wolves. They would be inefficient as hunters in the wild. Although we do know that the alpha males and females don't always lead the hunt but pick the most athletic wolves to hunt though this is uncommon. Like I said before people don't really understand wolf size vs weight. That black was only 90 lbs but stands 7' tall. Although he doesn't look it in the picture, the 120 lbs male is massive. He's a huge male in his prime. Also having worked a bit with the local zoo I can tell you the average male wolf in his prime is considerably beefier than the average mountain lion, the exception being big male cats. The 165 lbs Arctic timber hundred was MASSIVE. I have no pictures with him because cameras weren't allowed in his enclosure due to his tendency to turn anything on your belt or in your hands into a wolf treat! As for the wolf hunting issue I can't say I'd ever hunt a wolf but I'm not against it. Capstick himself as well as studies have proven when you allow responsible hunting it prevents over poaching. When a predator is completely protected it has no value to the people of the land. Farmers either kill the animal itself or hire poachers to kill the animal. When hunting is allowed it not only brings money and tourism into an area it controls the population, keeping farmers from killing ever predator they see. Besides in this day and age the us government would never allow an animal to be hunted to endangered status.

Birdlover the wolf on the left in picture 2 looks perfectly real and not really unusually large. I would guess him to be around 140 lbs. The picture on the right just looks like a camera angle. . .but if there was a wolf that weighed in at a confirmed 190 lbs they probably would have heard about it in the scientific community and since all the biologists, wolf experts, wolf rehabilitators, wildlife veterinarians I've consulted with in doing my little report and all the biological journals I could dig up that had to do with wolf size, size progression, and genetic mutation in the past 50 years only spoke of a confirmed 175 lbs wolf I'm going to go with that. In the zoological community it isn't fact unless it's published in a scientific journal and every serious factual zoological discovery that is backed by conclusive evidence is published in a scientific journal :)

Last edited:
Birdlover the wolf on the left in picture 2 looks perfectly real and not really unusually large. I would guess him to be around 140 lbs. The picture on the right just looks like a camera angle.

Irish B

I cannot comment on the weight, and I know nothing about photomanipulation etc. I only put this article in to show it WAS a real wolf in the pics and shot in Canada. They say the weight was 197 lbs. And I think you are correct that they are making the animal "look" bigger by the angles etc they are taking the pics at.... like we all do when we get a huge buck!

We should elect someone to contact the guys at the website and see what they say and what details they might provide. You would be the perfect guy to do it with your experience! :) Seriously!!

There is a gallery with the guy's pic with the wolf but the large pic is not there. But it IS the guy who shot it and it DOES mention the fact. The outfit ALSO sells an attractant and also offers guide services.

Write the guy bitching about it. Don't tell me!

Despite your language, what you are telling me is that all the information you are saying is true/accurate is from this website which does not have the information, just a thumbnail picture we have already seen countless times and to not blame you, but blame the guy at the website because you could not otherwise come up with the information?

It seems that just about everything about this story has been changed or misrepresented and salient informaiton on the story is quite dubious. Now, even the links to the information don't exist.

So much for the extraordinary proof.

Despite your language, what you are telling me is that all the information you are saying is true/accurate is from this website which does not have the information, just a thumbnail picture we have already seen countless times and to not blame you, but blame the guy at the website because you could not otherwise come up with the information?

So much for the extraordinary proof.

What I SAID was there was an article in a legitimate hunting magazine about this wolf. And here it is. I said nothing about whether it was accurate or not. How the heck would I know? Geesh.

Make your own conclusions. I'm all done with this thread. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Now if you folks say that wolves don't get to 140 pounds, then not much I can say.

So who in this thread has denied that wolves grow to 140 or more pounds?

If you'll read the thread title it says,
Is this normal size for a wolf?
, that is where the controversy lays.

What you've done is create a strawman or you're just not very good at snark.

Edited my post up there and added some stuff. No one is blaming you just can't always believe the stuff on the internet. Like how it's floating around that wolves have a bite force of over 1500 psi when in actuality the only real study done confirmed them at 421 psi (compared to a German Shepard which has a bite force of 230)

What I SAID was there was an article in a legitimate hunting magazine about this wolf. And here it is. I said nothing about whether it was accurate or not. How the heck would I know? Geesh.

Yeah, and it was written by the guide (not the hunter as you claimed) with no outside confirmation.

By the way, great violation of copyright laws on posting the article illegally.

Actually I contacted several sources that claimed they had shot or killed a world record wolf. Not one could provide me with actual proof. I either got no response or bogus responses. I know if I shot a world record wolf the first thing I'd do is have it officially weighed. I know most of you would do the exact same thing.

That isn't the question either. If it is or isn't a world record is not the issue. Whether that is a real picture and how big wolves CAN get is the real issue. I believe we have enough to say it is a real picture, a real wolf and yes, those suckers get BIG. Irish B noted a 95 pound wolf that could put its legs on his shoulders and stood at 7 feet on hind legs. No one dismisses the facts of a 140 pound wolf which we would all agree is a BIG wolf. I found a picture of a 140 pound Malamute, admittedly a bit different than a wolf, but it gives a fair comparison a few threads back.

We are also not talking about the AVERAGE sized wolf which may be in the 100-120 pound range. Even there, Irish B stated how BIG the 120 pound wolf was. These are not small critters.

Secondly, they don't belong here in Idaho and it is a fraud that the FEDs have sold us that they are the same critter. Yes, Great Danes and those little yapping creatures are the same species, but they are as different as night and day. Same thing with the Mackenzie Valley Canadian wolf and the native Idaho wolf. Same species but still distinctly different.

Yeah, and it was written by the guide (not the hunter as you claimed) with no outside confirmation.

By the way, great violation of copyright laws on posting the article illegally.

Double Naught Spy

Well if you could comprehend what was written you'd know that the hunter and the guy that took the pictures and wrote the article was NOT the guide. They are both members of the same "team". But you were right that I shouldn't have posted the article. I just did it for those who couldn't follow the links.

:rolleyes:

Last known the skull was waiting a drying period and then was to be measured. Go in the link to the website of the guy who shot it (in my last post). It gives should give some info in there (but doesn't).

Let's see, the wolf was shot in May of 2009. By January of 2010, reports on the internet say that the skull skull drying.
http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=331468

Two years have passed since then. Two years are not required to dry a skull. Where is all the publicity and announcements about how this is a world record sized wolf or even close to being a world record? Do you think that given the lack of independently confirmed data (exclusive from what is reported by the guide and hunter) that maybe the wolf isn't as claimed? This, despite having more than enough time, years in fact, to get information such as weight and external measurements and then to properly render the skull for measurement. Do you think that they are hiding the record for some reason?

Dear warbirdlover,

I had no problems opening the links and I appreciate the work you went through finding them. They look like legitimate pictures on a copyrighted website that I doubt would deliberately post a hoax, not that folks haven't done that even to big publishers like the NYT etc., but it looks like it is good stuff so to speak.

I think the issue is really settled, but some folks ain't going to believe what ever you post. The word from folks in the woods in Idaho is that these are huge beasts that don't belong up in Idaho. One look at the pictures is enough to show why.

Thank you again for all of the trouble you went through bringing that article to us.

God bless, Alaska444

Yeah, I guess everyone's made their points and we'll just leave it at that. Most of it was interesting and fun. One day I'll get a pic of that big black alpha wolf chasing a deer by me!! :D

Alaska is absolutely correct. The wolves that were introduced into Yellowstone were a completely different subspecies. Different subspecies have distinctly different size ranges but more importantly temperaments. This drastically changes the ecosystem in that environment. The larger more predatory wolves obviously have a larger impact on prey species. Interestingly enough though the wolves in Yellowstone have had a positive effect. The elk were and still are very overpopulated in some areas causing severe distruction to the plant life. When the wolves were introduced it culled the elk population. This in turn caused vegetation to make a come back and we smaller wildlife such as beavers and birds thriving. Elk are a far more distructive species than wolves are. To the environment that is. Also studies have found that grizzly populations have actually increased since the introduction of wolves in yellowstone when antiwolf advocates said the opposite would happen. This is because grizzlies are scavenging kills from wolves. Because of this more grizzly cubs are coming of age.

Spy I think it's very clear why the giant wolf hasn't been released to the public. It's a government cover up! It's clearly a genetically altered werewolf!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back