Is there such a thing as a F/A grenade launcher?

grndpndr, you didn't really identify the round, you just pointed out the general typ. That's like someone posting pictures of a handgun asking for help identifying the make and model, and you respond, "Oh, it's a revolver!"

Being new her i dont want to get off on the wrong foot so if i offended my apologys.From whaty i could gather from the net it doesnt appear to be US
either so that leaves chinese /russian and i would have no idea which.I also thought US had a type u\of spring steel coil arrangement around the grenade to provide shrapnel.I am not sure what caliber the russ is,35mm? Any way i am curious now and intend to search to see if i can find theanswer,the fuze may be the answer.Again in :D didnt intend to offend it was late and perhaps I took it the wrong way

So I should PROBABLY have read to the end of the thread before replying to a post at the beginning of it, but I'm kinda pressed for time so I'll get right to it:

MK19 rounds are only for the Mk19. Imagine my chain of command's surprise when they decided to requisition some 40mm from the 13th MEU while we were on deployment, thinking that they would surprise the armory staff by giving us 40mm ammo to fire out of our ancient M79s, only to have me tell them "mk19 ammo can't be used in the M79. The rounds are linked and the cases are a different length, anyway."

They weren't happy.

Mk 19s specs

Don't know about the length and weight, I just know it's too heavy for anything except for using on a gun-truck.

The min arming distance is 17 meters, but in all practicallity, it's more like 25. I saw an ND into hesco barrier 22 meters away and it didn't blow. It works off of a centrifugal fuse that requires 3 rotations, I think. DP is 2" of steel, and DP is about all the ammo you get anyway, unless they make orange death for it. I know they make orange death for 203's, I'm not sure about 19's.

The only package I've seen rounds come in is an ammo can with 36 rounds, but in invasion of fallujah everyone rigged a can on the side of the turret so they could have two cans linked together (linking grenades is a pain in the butt).

Very fun weapon. Nothing says "I hate you and hope you die" quite like a GMG, though the ma duece with APITS come close. Excellent for indirect fire, but I wouldn't call in the same format as other supporting arms. You still need an FO with some good sense, most gunners I know of aren't exactly squad leaders or platoon seargents. Point being they probably aren't familiar with how an FDC works. If the gunner can't get eyes on, the FO needs to know the gunners pos so they can relay correction in relation to the gunners pos and not the FO's.

Alright, good 'nough for now.

Wheeler0351 says
Very fun weapon. Nothing says "I hate you and hope you die" quite like a GMG, though the ma duece with APITS come close.

...except for the Mk38Mod1 25mm machine gun system loaded with SAPHEI-T... yes, that DOES, in fact, stand for Semi Armor Piercing High Explosive Incendiary-Tracer.

:D

Back