Is there such a thing as a F/A grenade launcher?

Jamie Young

I saw the most bizaar looking machine gun on the BBC news last week. Several American soldiers somewhere in Africa were guarding some kind of shipping dock. I got a glimpse of an American Marine on a Humvee with a belt fed machine gun. The gun had these giant mushroom looking shells. They looke more like grenades than bullets.

It was no .50 cal either.

What you saw was a Mk. 19 40mm belt-fed AGL (Automatic Grenade Launcher) or, as they're now called, GMGs (Grenade Machine Guns).

Interesting story: Back before the '86 ban went into effect, some dude at SACO saw the writing on the wall, yanked one off the line, and put it on a form 4. It was just up for sale in Shotgun News last year. Price? "Serious Inquiries Only". Rumour has it that the thing went for six figures. Each round (if you can find 'em) is a DD. That's gotta be some $$$ to shoot.:eek:

I was in Canada and they don't consider the grenade launchers to even be firearms because the velocity of the round is too slow. Maybe I should get a cabin and buy one up there. The round for the MK19 are a higher pressure round than the m203/m79 rounds.

I think the ChiComs have a auto grenade launcher too. Can't recall the name or number, maybe someone else can.

I didn't realize the MK19 round was any different? I thought it was the standard 40mm but linked together?

Don't they make a flechette AP round for the 203? hmmm

more tidbits

For those of you playing at home, the cyclic rate of fire of the Mk19 is around 350/minute.

Also, my old gunny told me in Desert Storm that they actually developed a TFT (tabular firing table...artillery nerds will know what I mean) for the 40mm for indirect fire applications.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it...

So do the Germans. Namely Heckler & Koch.
Heres the GMG,(Granat Maschinengewehr) in 40mmx53.
gmgcover.jpg

Plus,a lightweight version is planned,the GMW,light.
(Leichtgewicht Granatmaschinenwaffe)also in 40mmx53.
gmwfront.jpg

GMG cyclic rate is 330 rpm,while the GMW is 350 rpm. ;)

Tamara, esho raz, eta pravda, devushka. Sometimes called "pauk", aka "the spider" a nickname from Central America and African clients.

What are you doing reading Soviet FMs again?:D Let me tell you where THAT will get you (riffed).:D

That Dutch bugger looks really nifty. Anyone shot one?

I am in the grip of a fit of aquisitiveness!

Too bad there aren't any C&R 40 MM FA guns out there.

(Too bad I'm too broke to buy even a .40 S&W BHP at the moment.)

MK19 shoots a high pressure grenade. DON'T de-link MK19 grenades and fire in your M79 or M203...

Yes there is a TFT for the MK19. Most fun cupola mount for your HMMWV? MK19 on the front, M249 on the back...Of course you need the bigger engine, especially if you've got the armor package..all that ammo is heavy :)

Jeff

Owing to the absence of a pistol grip protruding conspicuously beneath the action, would the Mk19 be California legal?

The AGS-17 was nicknamed the "Plamya" or "flame" as I recall. Russia now has the AGS-30 30mm grenade launcher for sale.

Unless I'm terribly mistaken, The ChiCom version is a bit different. It is configured almost like an LMG or SAW, with a stock. It's also more portable than either the AGS-17 or Mk19.

buzz, if memory serves you are correct, but that was the native nickname.

The spider was brought over from Central America and African clients.

That thing looks like a bitch to move. I would think it would only be practical on a vehicle. I think moving a mortar around would be easier than that thing. Can you imagine moving the ammo can around that holds 200 grenades?:eek:

We didn't have them in Somalia did we?

Back