Is the Single Barrel Shotty a thing of the past.

You do not know what you are talking about. Maybe YOU should look up SHOTGUN facts. Show us some specs on heat treating a shot gun barrel. I have yet to see a shotgun barrel that was heat treated. It was common to have somebody bring you a kinked or dented shotgun tube to repair because they are so soft. Receivers that were case hardened were done so to stop wear and galling. The receiver of a modern 870 pump is softer than the receiver of a single shot that is 80 years old.
Take a good look down the tube of a semiauto or pump. You can see where the lock rings are attached because the tube is always warped there. Speaking of tubes, most of the bolt action shotgun receivers were made from nothing but tubing off the rack.
How many people drag around and shoot shotguns earlier than the 20's anyway? 100+ years old? People with these guns actually show up to shoot clays?

Last edited:
Heat treat

If you are unaware of all the heat treat problems on guns 100+ years ago then look it up. It is well documented. Lots of places were heat treating visually.
You seem to be referring to the oft cited and much documented problems with heat treatment of 1903 Springfield rifle receivers. Not shotguns.

You do not know what you are talking about. Maybe YOU should look up SHOTGUN facts. Show us some specs on heat treating a shot gun barrel.
Is the barrel the only part of a shotgun under stress? There are other parts heat treated and I know for certain one of my shotguns has a completely hardened frame. Parts involved in lock-up, the pin or hook of the hinge system, and others are often heat treated. Not all the force goes into the chamber walls and barrel. If you don't believe me, then drive the pin out of the hinge on one of yours, hold it together in your hand and fire it. Make sure to video it and leave instructions for someone else to upload the video while your in the hospital , because I don't want to wait until you recover to see what happens. Take a file to some of the parts on yours and it won't take you long to figure out what has been hardened and what hasn't. I bet even the cheap foreign single shot I linked to has some hardened parts that are critical. Not nearly as critical as on a 60,000 PSI rifle and the economy models probably have less, but I think every design has some critical parts related to lock-up that are heat treated.
You have never seen the "gunsmith specials" on gun broker of old single shots that won't lock up? Like the .410 in this auction that won't lock up. I haven't inspected it, but I'd be willing to bet something in the hinge has stretched. Possibly the latch, which is also usually hardened. I'm not sure how old either of those models are, but the pro
The receiver of a modern 870 pump is softer than the receiver of a single shot that is 80 years old.
I'm pretty sure up in one of my previous posts it was stated people were warned specifically NOT to shoot said rounds out of a mossberg 500 or rem 870 or similar. I have no doubt there were guns made 100+ years ago that were much better made than today's economy models. I would be surprised if the economy models of 100 years ago were much better than those of today though.
Locking block heat treated?

You seem to be referring to the oft cited and much documented problems with heat treatment of 1903 Springfield rifle receivers. Not shotguns.
Oh, your right. A general technological problem related to using dated methods during a period of transition precludes that problem from occurring in other facilities with other types of firearms. It is a general issue well documented in that large contract, but the fact of the matter is only small segments of the industry were up to date. The Springfield 1903s were pushing the limits of period metallurgy much more than most of the other guns so more critical failures occurred, but it wasn't an issue limited to one model or one facility. The Charles Daily semi shotguns of a few years ago had issues with the locking blocks that was supposedly related to heat treating. Made in Turkey, so I guess there are still some issues, but less than 100 years ago.

This is my last post in this thread. It has, in my opinion, run its course. Well, assuming it doesn't change course.

Back