Is the Single Barrel Shotty a thing of the past.

All the +P+ pistol rounds, and some of the +p, are off SAAMI charts.

You're not presenting all of the facts for +p and +p+ ammunition. What is the one thing all of the +p and +p+ ammunition has in common? The ammunition is made for cartridges that were designed 100+ years ago.

The cartridges and pressures were designed for guns that were made using the designs and metallurgy available 100+ years ago.

The idea with +p and +p+ ammunition is that guns manufactured today have much better metallurgy and can withstand higher pressures.

In shotguns, I'm not understanding what you're gaining with higher pressure loads. Granted, the shot comes out at a higher velocity, but that's not going to have an effect of keeping the pattern together longer.

If you're shooting longer distances, you still need a tighter choke as the important factor with a shotgun is the pellet pattern at the distance you're shooting.

If you're shooting longer distances, you still need a tighter choke as the important factor with a shotgun is the pellet pattern at the distance you're shooting.
You are correct. I never said higher pressure with the most open choke you can find. Both help.

I have found the best accuracy
how the hell is pistol and rifle accuracy relevant at all? Did I say people shoot +P loads to improve accuracy and that improved handgun accuracy translates to a better pattern on a shotgun with over pressure rounds? I clearly did not.

Granted, the shot comes out at a higher velocity, but that's not going to have an effect of keeping the pattern together longer.
Try shooting targets at that range launched at 50 MPH. The delay between when you shoot and when it breaks is LONG. Any increase in velocity reduces the amount of compensation necessary. Its like saying a higher velocity rifle load doesn't improve accuracy, just stretches point blank range. The statement might be correct, but it doesn't change the fact its easier for most people to hit a live/moving target with the extended PBR. Additionally, the pattern is pretty thin at that range, almost certainly guaranteeing a hit will only be with a couple pellets. Every extra bit of energy you can put behind what does hit is going to improve the chances the scorer will count a hit. Have you ever seen someone chip a clay off the 16 and had the scorer not count it?

You're not presenting all of the facts for +p and +p+ ammunition. What is the one thing all of the +p and +p+ ammunition has in common? The ammunition is made for cartridges that were designed 100+ years ago.

The cartridges and pressures were designed for guns that were made using the designs and metallurgy available 100+ years ago.

The idea with +p and +p+ ammunition is that guns manufactured today have much better metallurgy and can withstand higher pressures.
Maybe you are supporting my statement and not making a point against it, but that isn't how I read your post. When exactly do you think the 12ga shell as we know it was developed? Well over 100 years ago. I think it is actually pretty close to 150 years old. It just might be the oldest standard cartridge still in regular use. At least in the running with the 45-70. Are there any older? There is a definite division between the black powder era guns and the smokeless, with that division well underway in the 1890s(about 125 years ago).

Higher pressure does not always equal higher velocity and vice versa....
yeah, not ALWAYS, but generally.

a double powder charge
Did I claim I was shooting double charges? Did I claim anyone else was shooting double charges with no ill effects? There is a world of difference between pushing past SAAMI and a double charge. I also never said pushing two 9mm +p+ rounds down the chamber of a 40 SW and pulling the trigger was safe in a modern handgun with modern metallurgy, just to be clear. I just didn't want anyone to read me saying shooting +p out of a handgun was safe and think I meant two at a time out of the wrong chamber.

About choke tubes in the BT-99........
What is the problem there? I have a BT-99. I fit the choke wrench into the choke and spin it out. Pick another choke and spin it in. How hard is that?
Fixed Choke. Full. You didn't know they made those?

So...distance to the rising bird from 50 yards back of the Trap house is about 70-75 yards. Birds are on the ground at about 100 yards.
I specifically mentioned the bird was very close to hitting the ground on that shot. Putting it right at the 100 yard max by your figures. Your right, hitting it earlier is much better. Hitting it from the fifty yard line isn't something I can say I was able to do as smoothly as from the sixteen. Hitting it late is better than not hitting it at all though.

"Shotties" seem to be a term used by the tactical shotgun crowd. A companion piece for the pissie and riffie in three gun competition.:rolleyes:

Wrong, "shotty" is a term meaning SHOTGUN that dates back to the 19th century. I grew up hearing it from generations before me and such so naturally it just stuck in my vocabulary.

Quote:
a double powder charge
Did I claim I was shooting double charges? Did I claim anyone else was shooting double charges with no ill effects?

Most modern proof loads for shotguns are a double charge (or very close to it) so if you are wanting to exceed safe levels, you would be, indeed, trying yo use a charge of similar proportion. There are thousands of published loads for all bore sizes from very mild training loads to uber goose and turkey loads. Maybe you should find some at the higher end and see how they do before venturing into unknown territory.

One of the silliest discussions ever, even for this place. Just how do the geniuses loading "hot" loads know what the pressure is, since we KNOW they don't have a pressure barrel? You cannot just extrapolate date. If you could all the ammo makers wouldn't have pressure barrels. Incredible.

Most modern proof loads for shotguns are a double charge (or very close to it) so if you are wanting to exceed safe levels, you would be, indeed,
I believe current SAAMI proofing standard is something like two shots of 19,000 to 20,000 PSI under an ounce and a half without measurable dimensional changes. Almost 200% pressure. Where did I say ANYONE was shooting "proof" loads? Where did I say shooting proof loads was safe? Do you think shooting proof loads in a shotgun is safe? I would be very surprised if any of the manufacturers have a person hold the gun when proofing them.
SHR970 mentioned proofing his reloads in a shotgun, but I think anyone outside an engineering lecture hall would realize that didn't mean shooting 19,000 PSI loads to prove they were 19,000 PSI. How exactly would that test even show anything at all? If the gun doesn't fail critically you assume they are below the SAAMI proofing load? Anyone with any flexibility in thought would assume he is testing his reload batches in a cheap gun so if he made a mistake or pushed things just a little too far it wouldn't damage his expensive gun, not following SAAMI proofing standards. The reason that should be obvious is he says proofing the loads, not the shotgun.

Does a double charge equal double pressure? It is my understanding it would be an extremely rare coincidental fluke if it did. Pressure is dependent on a number of variables, some of them interrelated, and I don't think changes in ANY of those variables has a linear relationship to pressure. It wouldn't surprise me if some double charges result in triple or greater pressure. That is why a near double pressure load can be used to proof without resulting in any dimensional changes, but a double charge almost always results in catastrophic failure. That is some very basic information.

The high pressure developed by a pistol or a rifle cartridge in an adapter drops wildly as soon as the bullet leaves the "muzzle".
But, what about before it leaves theadapter muzzle? What about bolt thrust? Pressure on the hinge of a break action? There's more than just the chamber walls that has to hold when a cartridge goes off.

You cannot just extrapolate date. If you could all the ammo makers wouldn't have pressure barrels. Incredible.
You sir, are correct. I'm not recommending anyone do it. I'm just saying they do and I have fired a few of the shells. I also don't recommend you drive more than double the speed limit on the highway, although people do, and I have. I'm not telling people to drink until at twice the legal limit, although people do, and I have. They really didn't know the pressure. When I fired them I didn't really know either. I'm not sure I would fire them again. UAs I understand it, unlike with a lot of metallic cartridge reloading, there are no clear warning signs of pressure overload in a shotgun. I was reassured because I knew this gun had been firing the load for decades, and I knew it had been checked for dimensional changes by someone I believed to be a competent gunsmith with some regularity.

It's not like I am talking about 357 ROF here... I'm talking about working up , a published load to max and then pushing it slightly past the published data. Hoping for something of maybe 13,000 PSI(a jump similar to +P for metallic cartridges), but like has been said, you can't extrapolate the data and they don't have pressure barrels, so who knows what level the pressure is really reaching. Likely WELL below a proof load, though. I wouldn't have run them through a pump or semi-auto and was clearly advised not to.
Challenger is the classic "why you can't extrapolate" example pounded into students heads. There were 23 previous data points between 53 and 81 degrees farenheit. They used that data to decide it was safe to launch at 31 degrees. That is just idiocy. Not the same as working up 1/10th a grain at a time.

Last edited:
I'm talking about working up , a published load to max and then pushing it slightly past the published data.

This is not metallic - you do not "work up" loads; but if YOU want to push things past published data - go ahead; just make sure you alert everyone around you when you go to fire.
Shotgun hulls and chambers are not designed for the pressures that exceed safe levels which is why the data does not give you a start and end load; it gives you THE load for those components.

I guess I'm failing to see how that part is so hard to grasp.

SGs

BT-99
It pains me to admit it but, no, I did not.

About target speeds....50 mph birds....maybe.
ATA trap launches birds at 40 mph.
Bunker/International/Olympic Trap launches the bird at 62mph (but you get two shots at it).
Pete

BT-99
Quote:
It pains me to admit it but, no, I did not.

About target speeds....50 mph birds....maybe.
ATA trap launches birds at 40 mph.
Bunker/International/Olympic Trap launches the bird at 62mph (but you get two shots at it).
Pete

Which is why serious bunker, ZZ and live pigeon guns come with fixed chokes from the likes of Perazzi, Fabbri et al. Typically a tight IM under with an even tighter F/XF in the top. Those guns are "mission-specific" and have no need for choke tubes.

I don't know where some of this crap comes from. Somebody explain to me the difference between "Modern metallurgy" and 100 year old metallurgy when it comes to shotguns. Same old soft steel with cased receivers. Don't even bring up Damascus steel. I shoot slugs constantly through my H&R 12 gage of 30's vintage. It looked beat pretty bad before I started on it. The tube is so thick I silver soldered a sight base right on it. I would never try that with a new gun with "Modern metallurgy". I have never seen the action on a shotgun blow up. Plenty of tubes blown up, but mostly from blockages. How about the metallurgy on those fiberglass barrel shotguns that were out there. Can't remember who marketed them.

Buds has the Rossi single barrel 12 or 20 gauge for $121 with no tax and no shipping charges.

They also sell the Legacy brand which are made in Turkey (and look nicer) for about $175 or so.

I've seen the Rossi for $104 but with $29 shipping is more expensive than Buds.

I bought a real nice used Topper 12 ga. couple months ago Gunbroker $125 + $25 shipping.

The moderator at shotgun forum dot com does variable choke installation at very good prices. To change chokes that is a possibility.

Somebody explain to me the difference between "Modern metallurgy" and 100 year old metallurgy when it comes to shotguns.
There are tons more alloys and you actually get what you order now. The large batches of steel being produced in mills 125 years ago was all over the place with huge variations, impurities, etc. Hardening consistency also made leaps and bounds between 100 and 125 years ago. I'm not sure what parts of which shotguns are now hardened, but I know a number in some and probably at least a few in most.

I'm not working up anything past data now and probably won't in the future. If I want to I will be sure to fire a fair amount with a long string checking for any signs of damage before I shoot one myself. For all I know they were pulling a load from somewhere that had been properly checked. I think they were all shooting the same load.
Now the other place I shot clays a lot I mentioned this and it was indicated since they now only shot registered or practice for registered they no longer had shoot offs and didn't do that, but they used to regularly. Between those two places there were quite a few people who also shot other places and no one seemed to think it abnormal or be all that surprised.

ATA has a heavy presence in my area with the Hall of Fame in Vandalia. I think ATA was headquartered there and until 2005 the Grand was held there. It used to be almost every major manufacturer in my area had one or more corporate sponsored teams of shooters. Most of those being some sort of automotive/aerospace metal working company with machinist + engineers on the team. I have previously wondered if the demographics for trap and then other clay shooting sports in my area aren't somewhat abnormal compared to the national community as a result. For all I know one of the GE/Elano/Delphi teams built or figured out how to get corporate to pay for a pressure barrel at some point and they worked up their own loads safely(using non-SAAMI limits). Then those loads got passed around the community. I don't know or even really care.

Last edited:
Why don't you tell us just what parts are alloyed and heat treated now as opposed to 100 years ago. The only difference I see is the guns are made cheaper now. You should see the impurities in modern steel. I have hit chunks of carbide in steel, chunks of stainless in brass. You want to see real junk, move into castings.

I really don't see the point of hyper velocity shot loads. Lead shot decelerates like ping pong balls below the speed of sound, above the speed of sound, it decelerates like a toy balloon.
Here's some actual ballistic data.
7 1/2 shot measured at 1330 fps @ 3 yards, likely around 1400 at the muzzle.
20 yards 930fps
40 yards 715fps
60 yards 580fps
Even if you are shooting a load that comes out of the muzzle at 2000 fps at the 27 yard line, it'll be subsonic before it reaches the 16 yard line. That's how severely shot decelerates when supersonic.

But if you insist on shooting those hyper velocity "back fence" loads, Hodgdon has recipes using Longshot that can shoot 1 1/8 ounces at 1450fps+ without exceeding SAMMI maximum pressures, including one listed at 1585 fps.

My "edge" is a tradeoff between a comfortable load I can shoot without flinching and a large payload. Currently, it's 15/16 oz #8 in a TGT-12 wad loaded in Gun Club shells using 15.7 grains 700X. It's not a hypervelocity load, probably around 1175 fps or so but it turns trap birds into powder from the 16 yard line if I center it in the pattern.
I have learned that filling the sky with shot does not compensate for flinching, and most people are not able to shoot as big a load as they think they can without flinching. I've seen so many who think they don't flinch jerk the gun like crazy when they experience a failure to fire.

Why don't you tell us just what parts are alloyed and heat treated now as opposed to 100 years ago.
It is not whether it was heat treated, but how consistently the parts that are heat treated were heat treated. If you are unaware of all the heat treat problems on guns 100+ years ago then look it up. It is well documented. Lots of places were heat treating visually.

Back