Is the Single Barrel Shotty a thing of the past.

deerslayer303

With H&R / NEF discontinuing the single barrel line. What else is there? I was recently looking for a 12ga. Topper with fixed Modified choke only to find out they quit producing one of the most popular entry level shotguns ever. Man what a disappointment. The 12 ga Topper (fixed full) was my very first firearm as a boy (still have it today). So, who else is producing a single barrel shotty? My son will be ready for a 410 soon enough. I just prefer teaching young ones on the simple platform.

Don't know about any "shottys"........:rolleyes:;)
There are plenty all over the net.......yet for close to the money, a pump from Maverick can be had and you can always hand them one round at a time.

Besides, a single shot 12 can be brutal on the shoulder.

Internationally they seem to be going strong. The Chinese capitalist expeditionary forces are apparently outfitted with them everywhere.
One problem is there are simply so many around who buys a new one? I have one, my first shotgun I have been considering giving to a new shooter for several years, but I haven't found one who didn't get a new pump for Christmas.
They are somewhat brutal with anything more than light loads or less than a slip-on kick-eez
My only shotgun right now is a 12 ga italian folder with a straight stock. It packs a wallop.

The Pardner one-shooters are great little camp/pack/survival/kitchen door/barn door guns.

I've got a 12 gauge chopped to 18 1/2". You simply won't find a handier or lighter shotgun that isn't an NFA item. It KICKS hard, but is just a great little companion!

I also have a 20 gauge with full sized 24" barrel. A great gun as well, very late production and as solid and well built as any of them, although with a rather ugly black finish and weird laminate wood stock.

If somebody wants one of these guns, NOW is the time. Get two or three while you're at it. It's a shame they were discontinued, though I can see why with all the rage for black plastic and firepower these days.

Well the single shot shotguns aren't about that. They're just awesome.

On this forum, where people like to get nostalgic and talk about the feats of their forebears in days of yore they still live. In the real world of 2016 USA, they are dead as a floornail.

What's a shotty?

I think the single barrel shotgun, as a US production item, is likely done.

I think the single barrel, and the affordable double, will continue globally, and as an import item for us, by various foreign sources.

Good point, the single barrel is/was a fixture in most rural settings. How many of the things, by various makers, were produced , .....skazillions I guess? As a pure utility, hard use, barn/truck/back door gun, the single barrel in the future is still a presence.

Tons of single barrel shotguns are sold in the form of trapshooting specific guns. If the gun is just going to be shot infrequently, one of the imported Turkish SBT's would work just fine.

Single

Single barrel or single shot?
Not the same things are they?
I shoot a single barrel single shot regularly....Trap shooting with a Browning BT-99....and yes, they are readily available.
I hunt grouse and Pheasant with a single shot 16 gauge...a flintlock fowler.
So....in my little part of the world, single shot shotguns are doing quite well.
Single barrels are also.
Pete

Excuse me, I did not mean to imply task specific quality guns like the BT-99. I am talking about the inexpensive run of the mill single barrels.

Single barrel and single shot is one in the same to me. A shotgun with a single barrel that breaks open to insert one single shell. A trap gun usually has two barrels, one on top of the other, which I refer to as an over and under. A side by side I refer to as a double barrel. Unless there is different terminology I'm unaware of.

Single barrel and single shot is one in the same to me.

I have several single barrels - but they are part of my Beretta gas guns that have magazines that hold more than one. Same goes for all of your pumps.

Lol, ok But those are Pumps and Semi Auto Shotguns to me. And everyone else I know for that matter. I've heard both single barrel and single shot referring to a shotgun with a single barrel that holds and fires one shell. I don't know what else to call them. I guess Break Action Single Shot Shotgun, would suffice. How the heck did we get sidetracked debating the terminology of the shotgun that everyone knows exactly what I'm referring to. I guess for the same reason folks get bent over clip / magazine. [emoji2]

They are still selling good on Guns America & Gunbroker. Just picked up 3 in the past couple of days..........

NEF 12ga. Pardner
Stevens 94X 12ga.
NEF 20ga. Pardner

$410.00 for 3 nice shotguns!!

The big slide for single shots came with the decline in small game hunting. I used to go to a lot of gun shows and you can see the trends. "Deer" shotguns were popular for a while, then it was "Turkey" shotguns. The racks were full of plain Jane single shots and pumps. Single shots will probably be around, but not produced in the quantities they once were.

I will always be a fan of the single shot shotguns. The simple design is hard to beat. H&R's will still be sold in pawn shops and gun shops for many more years to come. They produced so many of those budget minded shotguns that they will still be around. Granted I only have a 3" 12ga version right now but I really want more of them.

In my case, YES

The pride of my accumulation is a single barrel single shot 12 gauge.
My LC Smith SBT was made in 1918. She is choked tighter than a nun's kiss, but still breaks the trap targets if I do my part.
Keep trying to find the time to pattern it, I'm tempted to have the choke opened a bit, esp. since LC Smith did not do choke markings.

Once I can get to the pattern board I'll likely ship it to Mike Orlen to open up the choke for modern shells.

Are we talking about single shots? I still have my 20 in the closet in case of emergency. And I took it out and shot clays with it too. Had no problem with it. Don't know how it is a thing of the past when they still sell the ammo?

Back