Is the Mosin (91/30) a good survival rifle???

Status
Not open for further replies.
The stripper clips I used were fine. It fed well after loading.

Honestly, most of the sticky bolt problems I encountered were when using Wolf, Herters and similar cheap steel cased ammunition.

The true surplus ammunition, I don't recall any problems firing that. I remember the surplus ammunition was pretty potent.

We aren't really bashing it, just pointing out it's FEATURES ... ;) lol

After handling and firing M91/30s for many years, I've come to prefer them over the carbines. Despite it's length, I find them handy and surprisingly well balanced. The longer barrel cuts down on muzzle blast flash and concussive noise quite a bit. I can fire my 91/30 without hearing protection and it is not overbearing. The carbines? Not recommended!! Also the longer 91/30 gives a bit better velocity for increased penetration and terminal effect and also has a longer sighting radius for better shooting. They also recoil somewhat less do to the increased mass.

But, the carbines are a hoot and people love to see the big fireballs they make at the range! But for combat make mine the full size rifle, even if it is a longer weapon for sure.

Understood... but did you ask for a great, comfortable rifle or a survival rifle?

Survival rifle does not lend itself well to an extremely long rifle. While carbines might not be the best shooting in regards to recoil/noise, it is compact enough to be there when needed. Very similar to picking a 5" 1911 for concealed carry. It will work great, but if it is too much of a hassle/pain to carry... you will go unarmed more likely than compared to a lighter/smaller pistol.

Now look, I'm not trying to see the Mosin is the best combat rifle for 2017. Obviously it's far from it. BUT, with the proper technique and experience and a rifle that is set up properly, they can still do the job.

A Lebel 1886, Springfield Trapdoor, or even an Enfield Musket can fire a projectile at a target. Out of the three, I'd prefer the very obsolete Lebel for actual use... as it is the best of the options. If a Mosin is your best option, then use it. But if you are looking for a specific role... it might work, but may or may not be best for it.

And stripper clips? Many have issues with these. But with proper milsurp clips, not junk Chinese repros, and the right technique it can be fast smooth and effective. Knowing how to set up the clips to prevent rim lock will keep it from happening even on rifles with worn interrupters, of which I've had a few.

Some brass ones on eBay do work good, but need to check the seller's feedback. I keep a set of Soviet ones just for show/to complete the set. There are ways to load them to reduce rim-lock, but loading correctly by hand stops it just as well.

I do understand that Mosin Nagants are older firearms, most seeing hell in World War II... then refurbished after the war. So, many are worn down. But when you consider rim-lock... what is the cause? The rim of the cartridge. Not a problem on .30-06/.308, 8mm, or any other non-rimmed cartridge. The 7.62x54mm came out with the Mosin Nagant... in 1891. It wasn't a great option for semi-autos, and it isn't the best option in a magazine fed rifle.

The guns are generally not as accurate as modern rifles and they don't need to be. They are BATTLE RIFLES, they are generally accurate enough to defeat exposed personnel out to 400-500 meters and beyond and are effective on area targets much further out. The round is still considered to be very powerful and effective with high penetration properties.

While the Mosin Nagant has the range options to go out pretty far, those ranges were for volley fire; groups of shooters lobbing rounds hundreds of meters into groups of enemy soldiers to keep them from moving.

The Mosin Nagant had such a long service life because it works... as long as you pull the trigger and work the bolt, it should fire. Crappy ammo, which might not function a SVT, should shoot through it. Is it accurate? Some are, some are ok, and some were on the far end of being serviceable. Shooting 300+ meters was not the norm... it was usually a sharpshooter/sniper behind the rifle.

A Mosin was my first rifle and in the past decade I have learned to run it properly.

Which kind of lends itself for you putting up on an alter. Is it a rifle that fires a bullet? Yes. But it was designed in 1891, and while a ton of them were made, you don't see current rifles based on the action. Bolt action rifles that are considered to be strong actions are usually based off the Mauser 98 design.

Having quite a few of the rifle designs of that era, I'd put the Mauser as the best/most influential. The simplest... probably the Carcano (minus the clip system; if the Type I was a more produced design, I'm sure it would have gave the Mauser a run for its money). Rate of fire, Enfield... at the cost of strength.

I would argue the Mosin carbine has a definite advantage, IF you are going
to be using the bayonet, and CQC.

But if shooting is going to be the better part of the equation, I'd find something newer.

I love these threads. Very interesting between trying to make the Mosin out to be a better rifle than it is & a bunch of eskimos shooting seals, peeing on rifles, etc...

Whoever said something about having a cool head & a good knife understands these things the best I'd imagine.

I have three Mosins & I love them. A suppressed 91/30, A Finn M39 & a M44. They are brutally simple, more accurate than most think (though still pretty inaccurate compared to... Well about any rifle) & there was a plethora of sweet ammo (tracers & API for MGs) available at one time. Thats where the fun stops. Compared to any of the other common surplus rifles of the era, its a horrible rifle besides the Finns.

It is powerful & yes it goes bang reliably but good for survival?? Maybe if thats your only choice...

If I had to walk away with a big old 30 caliber rifle, my favorite Swiss K31 (I have five now, its a disease) although.... I did just buy a Garand with plenty of AP..

Disclaimer* this post is worth exactly what you paid for it, I actually did stay in a Holiday Inn last night & I have pee'd on the bolt of a rifle to shoot a squirrel.

Some of you are quite particular.

The Mosin is a tough rifle that has very acceptable accuracy and runs with an absolute minimum of maintenance. A screwdriver, a shoelace and a rock are all that's required to maintain it. Maybe some used motor oil or possum grease if you're feeling frisky.

Gas guns require a bit more and Swedes and Mausers and such need more specialized maintenance due to their tight tolerances.

I'd love to have a repeating .22 rimfire of the same specs for a survival rifle, but the 7.62x54r will work just fine.

Maybe I have different ideas of what constitutes survival? I do not know. Getting into a sustained gunfight strikes me as a really bad idea. Breaking contact seems like a better idea.

Regards,

Josh

If you can't afford anything else, it will work. But if you can afford better, get something better.

I'm surprised how many are willing to use and save the most marginal of equipment for what may be your most dire of circumstances.

Last edited:
I can afford other guns. I have other guns.

A 1911 on my hip and a Mosin on my shoulder cover my perceived needs.

I have, for my son, a survival rifle from the Great Depression. It is a single-shot Savage or Stevens, no serial number, with the receiver machined right into the barrel.

It was, I suspect, a foraging rifle. My grandfather took a rifle to school and hunted his way home during the Depression. I do not know what the rifle was. Wish I'd have asked.

It's interesting to see what survived the cut as survival rifles during the Depression. Simple, inexpensive firearms that were easy to maintain were the rule.

Josh

I could definitely see it as a backup gun. Hunting weapon for sure.

They are not useless at all. But I've owned one, everything else I've used has been better. Talking full sized 30'ish caliber rifles.
I've rarely seen milsurp in as good of shape as I've seen the 91/30s the one I had was laminated, but looked great. Hardly a blemish all the cool Russian markings. Pristine bore. Perfect finish on the metal.

I agree on the maintenance and durability as well. I bet a person could even make a crude stock out of a board for one if they had to.

I do suppose we should define "Mosin".

Anymore, I think of a Finnish rifle, or a Russian rifle with Finnish things done do it.

My go-to is a 1939 91/30. I have shims and stainless steel pillars bedding the action. I have a pressure pad on the barrel.

I have a Smith-Sights hybrid two-stage trigger assembly installed, and a Smith-Sights Classic Target front sight providing precision aiming.

I shoot handloads these days. I hold about 1.5moa with the SST handloads and a bit more than half that with SMK loads. That's rested, prone, with my poor eyesight.

What I wanted was a really tough centerfire rifle that hovered around 1moa. I also required that parts be relatively common and that repair was easy but rarely necessary. A Mosin seemed like a logical starting point with the inexpensive price being a bonus at the time.

My ideas became a business. This wasn't my original goal. I didn't think "what can I sell?" I showed my ideas and people offered to pay me to make 'em some of what I'd made for myself.

Though the price was a point for many, many more saw the opportunity to make a tough rifle into a civilian survival or truck rifle.

There is no way I'd put my modern Savage rimfire through the same things I do my pet Mosin. It simply would not stand up. The trigger system is to complicated and fragile. Stamped parts failed with normal use. The Savage MkII is a shooter, especially with glass, but I'm sure it would be wrecked in short order if subjected to heavy outdoor use.

I have much the same opinion of most other new, budget rifles, both centerfire and rimfire.

Regards,

Josh

My most accurate Mosin has Josh's front sight on it.
And that one's also the worst barrel of the four I own. :)
Denis

My favorite rifle, no one really likes, but it would be the one I took.

Anyone should have their favorite rifle with them in time of desperate circumstances. Some people that may be a 91/30 or similar.

The answers to this question will be wildly varied, as has already been shown. The answers will be varied because people's experiences with the rifle in question will be across a big spectrum.

A lot of people have had unfavorable experiences with them, especially when measured against their expectations.

I'll rate my experience with one of these rifles as favorable. I still wouldn't turn to it for survival. I'm more proficient with another rifle, so that's my choice.

@ Mosin nougat ....I have two Mosins and both have Smith classic target sights , I highly recommend them , I Have the mojo adjustable rear sight on the one I always take to the range , I highly recommend it as well....
As a survival rifle ...It is a hard hitting lethal round and you could do a lot of damage with a mosin , and if there is a meltdown there is probably going to be a lot of people who wished they had one......Its simple , Powerful and effective,
reliable , cheap , what more can you ask for........It is what it is ..a MOSIN NAGANT... the old battle rifle has been around a long time and 100 years from now people will still be asking this same question............Nothing but good things !

Last edited:
So I have a choice between guns I've been trained on since I was in my late teens. I can fit two of these in a backpack and quite a bit of ammunition. I'll have more room and weight capacity for other important gear.

Or

My life is in danger, apparently I NEED a rifle to survive so I choose my cheapest, longest, heaviest, oldest gun with the heaviest, and physically chunkiest cartridge possible and take my chances.

Thanks (again. . .) for the responses.

Do you think a bent-bolt handle would make cycling the bolt easier (and maybe bump up the fire rate a little)?

Also, where could I get one? (I looked at amazon's selection but didn't like them)

@ MosinNougat....Your money can be spent better else where....the less you spend on the mosin the better ...check out josh's website there are inexpensive things you can do to enhance it , but I think in the end you will have just another mosin , is it not better to enjoy it for what it is.....and enjoy it for a lifetime...and remember it is a cheap old rifle that's a heck of a lot of fun to shoot even if its only 5 or 10 rounds every time you take it out..............................Nothing but good things Buddy... Nothing but good things

I would not go down the rabbit hole of modifying your Mosin to chase better performance. Use it for what it is. The Smith Sights are a great improvement, and there are some minor trigger modifications you can do to improve the feel somewhat, but beyond that I would just clean it up and maintain it well.

Once you start getting into chasing other performance issues, it just makes more sense to get a purpose built rifle.

When I first thought of getting into gunsmithing, I bought a Mosin and spent more on accessories and modifications for it than I ever did the rifle itself.

While we've hit a few strides in terms of turning them into more usable rifles, most accessories for them are just ways to throw money at the manufacturer.

If your rifle has an issue with sticky bolt or bolt cycling, a bent bolt is not likely to greatly improve it. If you're not already very quick and well trained on cycling the rifle, the minor benefit of a bent bolt is probably outweighed by the cost which could be put towards ammo.

If you want it for a cheap, rough-and-tumble rifle, fine. If you want it for a cheaper modifier to cut your teeth on gun modifications, fine. I rarely see those two impulses work well together. Just my opinion.

Do you think a bent-bolt handle would make cycling the bolt easier (and maybe bump up the fire rate a little)?

NO!!!

Don't do it, nougat!! Seriously, not needed and not desired!! PRACTICE and you will find your rate of fire to be just fine once your learn to work your Mosin from the shoulder, it's very fast and smooth!

MosinNOUGAT said:

Also, where could I get one? (I looked at amazon's selection but didn't like them)

1. The others are correct. It's still a 90 degree throw.
2. Hard cycling comes from the cam surfaces. Fit them. Cycling the bolt shouldn't be harder than on a Mauser.

Bent bolts are necessary for receiver-mounted scopes, but that's not what the Mosin's really for, either.

They can be very accurate, but putting optics on 'em decreases their durability, and the durability is one of the Mosin's biggest assets.

Also, stay away from anything by "BadAce". He's a Chinese feller living in Canada. He copies products invented by those of us in the industry, has them duplicated, cheaply, in China, and then tries to sell them.

One of his failures is a "bent" bolt. Don't fall for it. Anyone with any experience can easily see why it's a piece of crap.

Regards,

Josh

Best rifle for a purpose? No. But still feel comfortable with one in my safe. I found a 1952 Polish model carbine that had been fitted with a black plastic "tactical" stock fitted with a very nice rubber butt pad. Paid $200. Still has the funky bayonet attached. It shoots as well as I can see out to 100 yards. Haven't had a distance any further than that to try. I would like to have a Ruger Gunsite edition with a fancy scope. But price wise I feel I am $800+ ahead. And that "BLAST" out the muzzle IS impressive. Recoil is very manageable. Shop hard, get one cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back