Is the Mosin (91/30) a good survival rifle???

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is also true, I just got tired of people putting in M1 Garands into this thread. There were a lot of those.

I'm perfectly fine with people saying bad things about the 91/30. This is what I wanted when I asked, because it is very helpful.

If you wanna see some fun, start a Mini14 thread. :D

I get what you're saying, this has almost got me wanting to retrieve my 91/30

Do note that I resisted the temptation to point out (every time) how much superior my M1A (semi auto M14) is to the M1 Garand, each time the Garand was brought up! :D:rolleyes:

I still have a 91/30, sold my M38 carbine (needed cash more than another milsurp), they are examples of a historical period in arms design, and while rugged and functional, they are outclassed in nearly every way by designs even a few years newer, such as the 98 Mauser.

I'm not certain which is more irritating, GLock fanboys or Garand fanboys...until this thread, I was certain it was GLock, now, I'm no longer sure...:rolleyes:
:D

I used to be all into this "survival" stuff up till just a couple of years ago. For the most part most won't last too long if just left with a gun, knife, fishing supplies and a few other items no matter what gun they have or what they know. The best way to survive in the woods is to get out of the woods and back into civilization. Even survival writer Mel Tappan recommended a small community of neighbors that could be trusted in case of a break down of the world as we know it. Not hiding in the woods.

I still like to read Backwoodsman magazine. This month they have an interview with some guy named E.J. Snyder AKA "Skullcrusher" From the photos included he walks through life with a permanent scowl on his face. It was said he was on the show "Naked and Alone". He lost over 40 pounds and he is a survival "expert". So what chance do we have? I really don't care for the Human Interest stories in Backwoodsman and wish they would stop doing them.

But the point is surviving would be something you can do for a short time. It would be almost impossible to survive a year or more even though that Jap soldier from WWII did for many years. But he wasn't alone and he stole from sheep farmers for food. Not quite full blown "live in the woods" survival.

I picked up a Garand once and it was so heavy I never wanted one after that. But I feel the same way about the Mauser 98 I owned for a while. Most military guns are just too heavy for what I want. Thats why I recommended a Ruger model 77 MKII. It is a reasonable weight and known for being a strong, durable rifle. And open sights can be added. I did for mine.

If I thought I was going to have to take off for a while and survive by what I killed I would pick my Ruger Single Six 22/22 mag and a supply of ammo. With the 22mag I can kill deer. Or better yet cows. Or dogs. I have ate dog and its good. No cats yet.:D But I bet I would eat more often if I could fish. Even small fish make good food. And perch can nearly always be caught.

But this has been a fun thread. Lots of good post and even the not so good post were interesting.

Heck, I think ratshooter said what many of us tried to say.

I gave up on the woods thing too; if I ere to bug out, it would be to get to a safer location if needed.

I'm really just creating a safer more secure house, but I'll abandon if needed.

This election cycle and corresponding civil unrest has led me to discover that some of my immediate neighbors are of similar mindset, preparedness and gun people. I didn't disclose my own information but I'm comfortable in my neighborhood.

I part with saying, if I need a rifle for survival, I will use my best one.

Most military guns are just too heavy for what I want.

Which is the reason that generations of shooters sporterized them. Military rifles (until the modern assault rifle designs) were deliberately built "heavy", to survive and function in combat. Hand to hand combat, not just shooting the enemy.

Infantry rifles were designed to be not only a rifle, but also a "short pike", with bayonet fixed at the muzzle, and a club on the other end (buttstock), and not break while doing it. Troops were trained to not only shoot the rifle, but fight with it in hand to hand combat, using BOTH ends of the gun.

To do this they were built more heavily than sporting arms. The MN is a classic example of the design, a functional rifle, built to also be able to beat the enemy to death at need, and not be damaged enough to prevent its further use either as a rifle or a club. ;)

You are spot on 44Amp. And I do have have two sporterized model 98s built by my grandfather many years ago. One is an 8mm built for my dad and given to him in 1963 and the second is a 98 mauser on a G33/40 action with a P.O.Ackley barrel in 7x57. They are a couple of pounds lighter than original.

They probably are not as good for swatting or stabbing people as they once were but for rugged use they should be fine. My GF built lots of custom guns back in the mid 1950s up through around 1970. I have letters from his estate from P.O. Ackley and Phil Sharpe. I knew my GF was into guns but until I was given these letters I had no idea how much he was into guns.

Not trying to sell you on a Mosin over either of the other two as your choice for a survival tool, just pointing out a couple factors in the selection process.
Point taken, With as many firing pins that I've broken (0) in 40 years or really any problems (except Taurus and Kimber) , I'll take my chances.

Of course I'm not grabbing my Garand either.

The firing pin's only one part of the serviceability & maintenance issue. :)
The ability to get the bolt apart to begin with would overshadow that for me, and a maintainable/cleanable/de-rustable bolt assembly would be an absolute must for me in such an extreme survival role.

Most military designs are built to be largely field-maintainable without tools, whereas some commercial designs are based more on the idea of maybe a few days in the field during hunting season & then back home for the rest of the year, gunsmith & factory support accessible if needed.

The Ruger American fits the latter role extremely well, but not the first.
If I were to choose one absolute hard-use centerfire survival rifle, it'd be either a military boltgun, or a commercial bolt-gun based on a military design.

Other surplus guns would come ahead of the Mosin, but I wouldn't feel totally helpless if all I had was a good 91/30.

I won't get into what those would be, since this IS a Mosin thread. :)
Denis

Lets not go there. The first response I thought of is neither family friendly, nor will it pass the language filters..so lets drop this right here, now.

Just a joke, and yes I don't really want to know either:eek:

What people forget, is this is a weapon war, meant to shoot. More reliable than my savages.

I did have screw come loose on sear, that someday need to open back up and put some green locktite on. I usually don't use loctite guns,but this is one time I would.

Most of you will never make it in the great outdoors anyway, so why worry about it? What you should be looking into is how to build traps and bows from natural materials and studying plants you can eat.

That's kind of a broad statement, made as if you knew all of us personally.

I thought the question was "would the mosin be a good survival rifle?"

I cant wrap my mind around survival meaning doing battle with hoards of "what ever".

Based on my ideals of survival is 'living a substance life style" and I would answer the question with YES. Agreed, there is more to substance then using a rifle to take game, much more. But I was under the impression this was a gun sight, and the question was about guns.

None of us know whether the OP has or hasn't visited other forms dealing with trapping, building cabins, gathering plants, fishing or what have you. Being a gun site he asked a gun question.

I thought I answered the question fairly, sticking to the forum topic, and again, I'd say YES THE MOSIN WOULD WORK IN A SURVIVAL (SUBSTANCE) LIFE STYLE.

I say this because I have seen many people use it as such. In substance living money isn't normally free flowing, its rare and hard to come by and must be spent wisely on what commodities one must have, including rifles and ammo.

In the days when you could get a Mosin for under $100, it was. Prices have climbed the last few years so maybe there are better, less expensive options.

Now days checking ammo prices, it seems a 223 bolt gun would be a better choice for a substance life style, do to cheap factory rifles (< $400) and ammo is plentiful and cheap. Looking at the MidwayUSA site, its about the cheapest ammo I've seen baring reloading. But not cheaper then an existing Mosin and an on hand supply of Mosin ammo.

In my first two years in Alaska I lived in a little cabin I built, squatting on railroad land, living more or less a substance life style. I didn't go out searching for the best "survival rifle" I used what I had.

Since then I got into a career, (couple of them) retired from both the Military and LE, make a fair retirement and have three gun cases full of rifles and other guns.

Many will, some wont, make a better substance living rifle. Doesn't matter I'm keeping them all, and will probably add a few more.

I'm into guns, I like shooting, I hunt, I shoot competition, but that doesn't mean that's all I know. I spent last winter teaching my son how to trap. Last fall while antelope hunting my granddaughter cursed prickly pear cactus, saying it had no use but to drive people nuts. I showed her how to peel and eat it, she found it tasty, not to mention the vit. content.

I took my grandsons fishing, and made them start fires in a pouring rain with nothing more then a pocket knife and matches. Also made them make their own spoons and forks out of wood.

I could go on, but the question was about a rifle in a Gun Forum.

In a gun forum, people ask about guns, we try to answer based on our experience. We or at least I don't try to condemn them by saying they should learn to plant crops, trap, fish or what ever. There are other sites to deal with other aspects of substance living.

But this is just MHO.

Thanks for the detailed response kraigwy.

Many do forget that fire rate isn't much while actually in a survival situation unless you have constant fire fights with others.

Why don't you ask a real expert, Eric Frein? I am sure he is still allowed mail. He was fascinated by "Survival" guns too. This survival gun nonsense has no place on a gun board. It is becoming all too common lately. Same with home defense guns. You can tell some of the people asking are just itching to kill someone. I am not saying the OP is, but there have definitely been people on this forum I would keep an eye on at the range. Any rifle can be used to hunt for food. "Survival rifle" has only one meaning on this forum.

Take a look at the bottom line in the last post.

Last edited:
This survival gun nonsense has no place on a gun board. It is becoming all too common lately. Same with home defense guns. You can tell some of the people asking are just itching to kill someone.

Just because someone wants to know what's best to keep them and their family safe during a bad situation, that doesn't mean they want to kill someone. I sure don't want to either. Also, survival gun doesn't = gun to mow down crowds of people with. The hunting aspect is much greater to me.

I think an M44 would work nicely. Able to blast Bambi and roast him up on the bayonet!! :D

Seriously, the Mosin would make a good survival rifle. Lots of surviving going on in a little city called Stalingrad a few years back. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back