Is the .270 dying?

My .270 is dying...dying for deer season, that is.

It's such a great deer cartridge out to 450 yards that I gave my .30-06 to my son.

You scared me-so I went out in the garage and checked mine. It's still alive! An old Remington 700 Lefty, built back when Remington still knew how to build an accurate and reliable rifle. It's the only gun that I use factory ammo. I'm working on a cartridge comparison for my friends and my favorite rifle calibers. I'm not done yet, but I can tell you you've got to get up pretty early in the morning to outshoot a .270 Winchester.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's your take on the .270 cartridge?"

I've never liked the cartridge.
My take? The 25/06 is at least as good on deer sized game and under, with less recoil and the 30/06 is much better on bigger game w/o any noticeable increase in recoil.
My take? The only reason for the 270 was the bullet makers couldn't figure out how to make a suitable big game bullet in 257 caliber.
My take? Jack O'Conner singlehandedly "made" the .270 what it became with his prolific writing and abundant praise.

My take? Jack O'Conner singlehandedly "made" the .270 what it became with his prolific writing and abundant praise.

Regardless of who wrote what about the cartridge...if it hadn't performed it would have been dumped long ago.

"Better" is a regularly undefined description...what does it mean anyway? How are your choices (or anyone else's) "better"?

As an all around general purpose round the 270 Win is excellent and far from fading from the shooting sports. The only downside is the increasing cost of it as target ammo. I am past my hunting days and have started disposing of rifles I seldom if ever shoot, so the 270 for me has gone the way of the dodo bird. But that does not belie it's usefulness for others.

If I lived out west and hunted mule deer or long horn sheep, I am sure the 270 Win would still be in my gun rack, but since I live in the mid-west my 243 Win and 35 Remington have become my guns of choice.

But, I am sure the 270 Win will be with us for many, many years to come.
Jim

If I had the least idea, just a smidgeon of a feeling it was on its way out I certainly wouldn't have spent $2200 for a JOC Custom Tribute rifle or the pre-64 270 both bought this year in 270.

From paper targets, crows and tin cans to elk, deer, sheep, hogs, etc. it's always been a winner. Utilizing a Hornady 110 gr varmint bullet to the 150 gr Nosler Partition bullet there's little on this continent(and Africa) it won't handle.

This man thought most highly of it and he hunted with it on four continents.

270 is one of the all time classic cartridges and won't ever go away.

While I did my hunting with a 7mm mag, I would have done just as well of the 270 or 30-06.

If there is one thing that the 270 would not be my choice in would be a brown bear encounter (assuming you actually were fast enough to do something about it)

In that case a 30-06 with a 220 gr would be my choice and I don't think it would be any less effective than the magnums.

Most of the Brown Bear taken in Alaska were done with a 30-06 up until the 70s at least as they were a menace. Most of the shooters had 30-06s.

Now they are protected including letting them freely roam the City of Anchorage of which I am dead against .

If there is one thing that the 270 would not be my choice in would be a brown bear encounter (assuming you actually were fast enough to do something about it)

In that case a 30-06 with a 220 gr would be my choice

If you hand load, don't count out a 180 grain flat based PP .277 cal bullet. Short enough to stabilize in a 1:10 twist and it's roughly the equivalent of a 220gr bullet in .308 cal.

If you're looking to stop a charge, you'd be better off with something big bore, IMO.

The better question is: "Why get a .30-06 when you can get a .270?"

This is one of my keepers -- A 1958 Model 70 FWT:

CIMG1485_zps0dc7bdad.jpg

Another definite keeper, a 1952 M70 270.

late,r an old Lyman American Perma Center 4X was added...

That old scope/rifle consistently gives sub MOA groups.

Is it a round that has come and gone or do you think it still has a future?
Let me put it a little different than what you've read so far from other commentators.

270s future. The cartridge will out live the both of us. That's not assumption. That's fact gyvel.

Well, guys, I certainly do appreciate all the comments. As I stated earlier, I have an option of getting the same rifle in either .270 or .308, and I am now leaning towards the .270. I've always known that it was an extremely flat shooting, long range cartridge, much more so than the .308.

In fact, I already have a Smith & Wesson Model A (Husqvarna) in .308, so it makes infinitely more sense to go with the .270.

Actually it's suppose to be some type of walnut. I had a 270 way back in 1969 done by Hal Hartley who was famous for his Kentucky rifles in what some call fiddleback maple. Maple, being light by nature, he took a torch and singed the stock, sanded and put several coats of Linseed oil on it. It looked much like the Winchester shown in it's grain structure. I think the process he used was called a "suigi" finish...or tiger tail.

Back