Is the .270 dying?

That's another reason I'm a big fan of the .270 cartridge.

The nearest store to my family's house growing up was a 15 ride by car, or about twenty by four wheeler. (Hour or so by horse, but that's irrelevant)

They stocked exactly four calibers(and maybe four kinds of beer) of ammunition:

.45 ACP, .30-06, .270, and .22 LR.

I would bet that there are relatively few new rifles being made today in .270, compared to 7mm-06, .308 and even the .30-06.

That said, there are lots of really nice .270 rifles out there. Hunters and shooters in the know will be very happy to buy and use those great old guns.

A case on point is my 1958 .270 Model 70 FWT:

CIMG1470_zpsf5a39732.jpg

CIMG1456_zps92fb85fc.jpg

CIMG1485_zps0dc7bdad.jpg

With guns like this, the .270 will be around for a long time.
P.S., 1" inch groups with low price factory ammo.

Last edited:
Bushmaster, "relatively few rifles being made in .270"? Every gun maker that makes a bolt action makes a.270 Winchester. (I am sure you can find one that does not, but 99% of them do)

Just bought one. Savage Axis for $ 269.00. The trigger is around 7 lbs out of the box. Had a gunsmith do the job and it's now at 2.5 lbs. Not a fancy nor pretty rifle, but for those hunting and shooting on a budget. It's a superb bye. This five shot grouping was the first time I fired it after the trigger job, using the Bushnell scope which came on the rifle. 100 yds. Using winchester 130 grain round.
fafab3b7a8f6e9ed78186853cc9239e9.jpg

The 270 ain't going nowhere.

I know that lots of new .270 rifles are offered, but are they being bought?

Yes. When I worked in the shop the 270 was the second most popular hunting cartridge, after 30-06. I doubt if that's changed in the last couple of years.

I don't know where the notion came from that the 270 is in any sort of trouble, but there's no justification for it.

I think in this age of youtube and gunbroker and online ballistic calculators, there's certainly a lot more opportuneties for someone to find a different caliber that's better suited to their needs. I personally don't care for .270. But for the same reasons I don't like Glocks or Toyotas. Everyone has one cause they're really good.

It's hard to beat it.

I like the 270 for several reasons. It's a classic cartridge from a golden age that many of your grandfathers could have used, even some your great-grandfathers. Its performance is more than legendary; it's proven and re-proven every Autumn. Often rivaled, it's difficult, nearly impossible, to beat it without compromising or sacrificing on some other important attribute. What's not to like in a rifle that shoots as flat as a 300 magnum with half the recoil and can deliver 1400 to 1500 ft.lbs. of energy at 500 yards? Now, nearly 90 years from its debut, far from being obsolete, it is still a front runner, setting the pace that others follow and aspire to beat. Maybe one day it will be relegated to a cult following if the 280 AI ever manages to take its place; but I doubt that very much. Besides all that, I can still find Silvertips for my 270.;)

I'm trading a 308 for 2 270 rifles so doing my part to keep it going. Though I don't think it's having any trouble with or without me.

Back