Is it a good idea to "Announce" to the world that you love guns and are carrying one?

I guess it depends on style and purpose.

Two years ago I got a 4:30 am call to respond to an area just outside of Belle Glade, FL, a rather poor town made of migrant workers and such that mostly cut cane. Apparently one of our officers was involved in a shooting near one of the many lakes in the area.

So the story goes he went up there for a little fishing trip. He got a motel room right across from the lake and began fishing...at around midnight. He had all the lights on in his motel room and the TV volume way up. And he was walking back and forth from his room to the lake. Somewhere along the line, around 2 am, two, shall we say, underprivileged youths, were scoping him out. Did I mention that on this fishing trip he brought along his Colt M4 and P238?

At some point in time while walking back to his room from the lake (he later mentioned to investigators that the fish didn't seem to be biting) the two youths decided to follow him to his room. Hearing the "flick" of a blade, the cop turned at which time the youth with the blade now held at his side ordered the cop to turn over his wallet. Putting both hands up and telling the kid to relax, the cop reached back as if getting his wallet and produced a pistol which rang out with two shots. The other kid ran off. Our off-duty officer called 911. Some theorize that maybe he was fishing for more than what was in the lake.

Yes , people know where I work I am a gunsmith so I guess that may mean I own a gun or two.
I have strickers on a tool box I carry.
So yes and no

Giving up a tactical advantage? LOL Give me a break.
Never been a big bumper sticker guy. In fact I just put my 1st one ever on my pick up. "Blue Lives Matter". Have always had a NRA decal in the window.

Clothes? Yeah some. NRA hat, another that has name of my gun club.
Some snarky/funny gun tee's.

0819161806.jpg

Back in the 1970's I read one of Dean Grenell's columns where he said no bumper stickers on his cars. Not PCness or fear of criticism but discretion IMHO. To use a phrase I learned in the Army NNTK-No Need To Know. The Good Guys don't need to know and the Bad Guys can find out the Hard Way.

I do like the 2nd Amendment Foundation sticker and the "I'm the NRA and I vote" bumper sticker. I do think it's important to get the message out, especially now. That said I like my cars clean. I also don't advertise with clothing as I don't want to give away my advantage.

When it comes to stickers like "keep honking, I'm reloading" I would simply think twice. If something happens and you have to use your weapon, a lawyer could try and spin it to his advantage.

I know many criminals I've developed a rapport with in my almost 20 year career have counseled me not to have gun stickers, even NRA stickers, on my vehicle. They openly state if they want to steal guns they follow folks with a lot of gun decals back to their house then burg the house later. Just my experience, but then CA is a crime ridden poo hole.

I am proud to be an NRA member even though a woman called me a baby killer in a grocery parking lot one day with a NRA sticker on my truck.

Sports fan plaster their vehicles with sports stuff. Gear heads plaster their vehicles with car stuff. The eco warrior types usually have enough crap stuck to the bumpers of their Prius's to make me gag. Music nuts have band stickers.

Back when I was a teenager, my car was plastered with bumper stickers. I had music stuff (Gabba Gabba Hey was right over Destroy Limp Bizkit) random funny stuff, social commentary and some gun stickers (NRA and a Springfield flag and probably a couple others that I don't remember) The car was never vandalized (that I could tell) or broken into (with the exception of my BF in HS who left a note and some candy as a joke) Mind you, it was obviously a poor kids beater and the last car you'd want to steal since it was so identifiable.

I don't do bumper stickers anymore. After my Corsica died, I actually got a nice car and I didn't want it to look junky. If I got another beater car or a vehicle that wasn't for everyday use (like a truck) I'd consider doing bumper sticker madness again and gun stickers would go in with everything else.
*shrug* I'm an enthusiast. I love dogs, rock and roll, guns and a whole bunch of other things, I like stickers and I'm not shy about it. I don't see the point in hiding one part of my life out of paranoia when I'm open about everything else.

Most people that see my bumper sticker think I'm a runner:

12.7_zps1tixtkhl.jpg

The real runners think it's 1/2 mile short of a half Marathon (13.2), or never heard of a "12.7" mile or KM race.

I generally don't correct them. The few that shoot .50 BMG typically chuckle. They realize it's 12.7mm (12.7x99), aka .50BMG.

TXAZ,

There are a lot of those style stickers around here in 5.56. :D I've been waiting to see a 7.62

On a side note, I see a truck all the time that has a Glock decal right next to a Stormtrooper helmet decal. The nerd in me wonders if that Glock fan can actually hit a target. :p

Bluestarlizzard (a great screen name) noted:
TXAZ,

There are a lot of those style stickers around here in 5.56. I've been waiting to see a 7.62

On a side note, I see a truck all the time that has a Glock decal right next to a Stormtrooper helmet decal. The nerd in me wonders if that Glock fan can actually hit a target.

Of course the guy with the Glock can hit a target. I saw them last week at the range. He improved hitting the target 4 out of 5 times when he got it moved it up to the 1 yard line. (He seemed to have a hard time believing my son was shooting at 25 yards and hitting it)

I've also seen the 5.56 around here, but that's pretty well known. 12.7 seems to be more confusing to most.

Back