Is it a good idea to "Announce" to the world that you love guns and are carrying one?

desibaba

The last few times I went to the local range (Nexus) here in Broward County I saw a couple of guys with Gun t shirts (I think one wore a Protected by Glock and the other had a XD with a big pistol on it). Both of these guys were driving trucks plastered with AR15 stickers, NRA stickers and whatnot. I understand people like to tell the world about their hobbies. When I was into motorcycles I has Suzuki t shirts, gsxr gym bag and a huge "Watch out for Motorcycles" sticker on the back of my car. Is it really a good idea to do that with your firearms addiction?

^^Agreed.

Although a couple of trucks ago, I had a small ИЖМАШ (IZHMASH) sticker in the back window.

I figured most wouldn't know what it meant, anyway.

Wish I could get one of the stickers, now, since they've been banned :D.

W

Add: Never mind, you can still buy the decals online (I guess they haven't been banned, after all :)).

Last edited:
It is beyond the pale do do that. IF you're even serious in asking that question I'd question your even owning PD firearms, Sir !
YOU'D BETTER THINK !!!

And so it goes...

The local Police here in suburban Atlanta have publicly stated that criminals are targeting cars with firearms related stickers on them in hopes that the owner left a gun behind. However, in the same article they said criminals seem to be targeting pick-up trucks in the belief that they are likely to have guns inside. So, I suppose there is some truth to the vehicles and sticker thing, but does that also mean we can’t drive trucks.

As for clothing I wonder if it is really less of an issue. Also, do those guys wear the same shirt everyday or maybe just when they go to the range? I seldom wear any type of graphic or lettered clothing, but since I always wear a hat at the range it’s generally firearms related.

On a side note I have a buddy who drives very nice truck and he has two small decals on the back window. The stickers are understated and I wonder if the average street criminal will even know what they mean. On sticker simply reads Leupold and the other is the Wilson Combat logo minus the actual text.

So, who knows, maybe you can express your interest discreetly and get by. As for myself I tend to go sort of with the “Grey Man” style, but I’m sure I give it away at times.

Last edited:
This argument comes up a lot.

My answer is no.

No one but family knows that I even own guns, only one family member knows that I carry.
No stickers
No logos
No tshirts
No hats
No conversations with coworkers

I might bear a logo if a company pays me to do so, I'm not paying to push someone's product by buying a hat or shirt

Very generally speaking, it seems the folks who are new to an activity are the most likely to get carried away advertising it.

Had an 'Insured by Smith and Wesson' bumper sticker on my truck that sat for a few years in a slummy part of town. Nobody ever touched it. Don't believe any such thing is advertising. Certainly doesn't advertise you have a CCW.
If a criminal is going to break in, he's going to break in because he's too lazy to work. If criminals were targeting vehicles with such stickers, the insurance companies would charge more for and/or cancel the insurance of said vehicles' owners.
Police management will say all kinds of stuff that's not exactly true as well. Targeting pick-up trucks likely has more to do with the cost of a PU and what might be in it than anything to do with firearms.
"...stickers are understated..." Stickers are free advertising for the company that supplied 'em.

Its not as stupid as you could possibly be, but its certainly pushed the needle into the "stupid" category.

Last edited:
So, who knows, maybe you can express your interest discreetly and get by.

I think this is the case. I had an "Assault Life" sticker on my old truck under a CAR sticker. It was there for military reference alone and for me it had nothing to do with gun ownership (although I can see why it would be mistaken as an indicator of gun ownership/enthusiast). I used to wear a Weatherby hat (don't know why, never owned a Weatherby rifle) all the time. So, yeah, I don't put it out there in an obvious manner like that but I'm not paranoid about it either. Now I don't really have any stickers or firearms branded clothing, but I'm not against something with a subtle reference.

FWIW, I would NOT wear a shirt with a giant XD pistol on it nor would I plaster a ton of AR15 stickers on my vehicle. That, I think, is pretty dumb.

bad idea

you wouldnt wear a t-shirt that said

NAVY SEAL

USMC SCOUT SNIPER

Spec Ops Operator

best to keep a low profile, why do you want people to know?

a true operator doesnt talk about it or brag

I guess it's kind of like those people who want to express themselves in some way?

even if you really were once with the SEAL TEAMS or DELTA

you wouldnt be advertising or announcing it by wearing a t-shirt or have a bumper sticker saying you were

Last edited:
you wouldnt wear a t-shirt that said

NAVY SEAL

USMC SCOUT SNIPER

Spec Ops Operator

best to keep a low profile, why do you want people to know?

a true operator doesnt talk about it or brag

I guess it's kind of like those people who want to express themselves in some way?

I have a T-shirt that says "Mess with me and I will fight you. Mess with my Dachshund and they'll never find your body." Some would say that is aggressive, but those people have never been around nature's perfect predator, the wiener dog.

Does that count. :cool:

Most people who know me very well, know I'm a gun guy. I am a 2A advocate and shoot regularly. With that said, few know what I own, and fewer still know I almost always carry. If you want a "God, Guns, and Country" decal in the back window of your truck or a GLOCK bumper sticker I am OK with it. I would not say it is dumb if you choose to do so. I won't have any on my vehicles though.

Does your dog carry an LCP?

I know this is addressed to zincwarrior, but I can't resist commenting. My Chihuahua doesn't need an LCP. He is a full grown grizzly bear in a 7.5 pound body!

I'm also on the "keep it to yourself" side of this issue. Friends and family know my stance on carry and all that (and some are the same way, others not). That's enough for me.

I'm an NRA member, and I do have the decal on my vehicle, though.

Exactly. You don't need firearms when you are tiny killing machine. :D

I would be less concerned with a T Shirt than stickers on your car or house that mark you a out as a more lucrative theft or vandalism target.

I don' reveal or advertise anything. I don't even want and remove the selling dealer on my car.

Regarding guns, concealed means concealed with no evidence anywhere of anything about a gun.

Back