is ammo standardization an issue for you?

.22 LR
.22WMR
380 Auto
.38 S&W
.38 Special
.357 Magnum
9mm Para
.40 S&W
.44 Special
.44 Magnum
.45 ACP
.222 Rem
.223/5.56
7.62x39
30-30
270 Win

Just a short list:D

Yep standardized on the following:

.38 S&W
.38 Special
.357 Mag
9MM
45 ACP
45 Colt
.22 LR
.22 Mag
20 ga
12 ga

Got rid of the others, for now.

I meant to post in this thread a while ago, but short answer is Yes, it is important to me to stick with a few standard, common calibers. It makes keeping cleaning supplies, finding parts, finding ammo and stocking up reloading supplies much simpler and requires less space. I also tend to go to smaller caliber options when given the choice, IE I "gave up" my .44 Magnum revolvers for .357s, my semi-autos have consistently stayed in 9mm and my current favorite rifle cartridge is .223. All easy recoiling, economical to load for and readily available in a plethora of factory loadings.

my choices would be
9mm
45acp

only because I think they would readily available if we were in an armed conflict and were gathering ammo.

Yes, Kinda, Maybe ...

I like options, and I like different guns and different calibers just to keep things interesting. BUT...

I reload everything, and I have a lot of different components and supplies on the shelf - I try to buy in bulk to save costs, but that runs into some real money! So I tend to stay with the same family of calibers I have found fit my needs - I am sometimes tempted to try a new one, but resist it unless I am sure there seems to be some overriding benefit to outweigh the additional costs for setting up reloading in a totally new option.

For handguns, that generally keeps me focused on .38/.357, .40, and .44 - lots of options in those sizes!

It almost depends on how much you shoot. If you shoot a LOT then it's probably a bit easier to justify having a horde of calibers around. For me, I do shoot but not all of the time and I reload even.

Other than a few .22's and a 12ga (not a rifle guy at all) I'm a handgun guy through and through and do kind of consolidate calibers.

With the exception of a pocket .380, I have:

.40, 10mm, .41 Magnum
.45 ACP/Super, .45 Colt and 454 Casull

I might possibly ditch the 10mm, the idea being that for carry the .40 is better and for power the .41 is better.

Last edited:
We want to limit the calibers we have in the household.

I bought a .22 LR pistol and rifle for practice and plinking.

We both got 9mm handguns.

The wife got a .380 because she liked it... But that's all on her.

I JUST got an SKS in 7.63x39.

I WILL get an AR in 5.56.

I WILL get a popular hunting cartridge and a bolt-action.

I WILL get a 12g shottie.

However, we will end up shooting the 9mm and .22 LRs the most.

I strive to limit, no specific wants/needs to justify a non common cartridge. Reload for some. 22LR, 25ACP, 9mm, 357mag. 45ACP, 223Rem/5.56, 308Win, 7.62x39, 300Savage, 12ga.

Last edited:
Back