is ammo standardization an issue for you?

I absolutely embrace the concept of standardization.

I just happen to have standardized on ten pistol calibers.:D

+1 on all the ammo shortage comments. Some day I will get into reloading; until then variety=choice =availability.

If the round is listed as being in current production (even seasonal) isn't that "standard"?

All mine are "standard", save one. Doesn't mean I can get them, but they are listed as being in production.....:mad:

I think we need to decide if we are talking about "standard" or "standard minimalist".?

If these were all the same caliber (minimalist) it would kind of pointless...

Once I bought my first gun (SR1911) for various reasons the grass seemed greener on all the other lawns. so I ended up with..
22lr(Mk III 22/45, Henry AR7)to save money for practice
9mm(SR9c,LC9) for carry guns
.38(J-Frame 637-2)carry gun
.357 mag(SP101 4.2")because a kit gun seemed cool and I wanted the extra velocity over a 2.25" model 60
.40sw(Uzi Eagle)because in the ammo shortage wal mart kept it in stock
10mm (Glock 20) mixture of Miami Vice 10mm love and Justified full size Glock love
.44 mag (Super Blackhawk, S&W Model 69, Rossi 92)(wanted a Redhawk but they went out of production for a while/ I Wanted an SAA style gun, liked the idea of the "44 Combat Magnum" and I liked the Browning lines of the Rossi 92 Winchester clone)
.45acp (SR1911) because buying my first gun a 1911 seemed the most macho bad ass all american gun
7.62x39 (M92 PAP) because it seemed cool and I wanted a "real rifle caliber" I could shoot for the same price as 9mm.

So as you can see I'm pretty much as pared down as can be. anybody see any holes

Last edited:
For my purposes (primarily making holes in paper) having multiple calibers is an annoyance, not an asset. I currently have one .22LR pistol and three 9x19mm semi-auto's with plans to add a revolver or two (one for the range, one for carry) also in 9 mm as well precisely so I can remain standardized and not deal with how much of what ammo I might have.

I will get a 1911 someday (because like the Ruger 10/22 everyone should have one) but am even tempted to get that in 9mm.

I like to have as much variety as possible. I have a couple guns in the common calibers that I shoot the most, but I am constantly trying to expand the calibers that my collection encompasses. It'll never happen but my dream would be to one day have at least one gun for every caliber.

Two different approaches led me to the variety I have, both rifle and pistol.

Some of the calibers I got were because I was interested in a certain gun, and they were the caliber it was in.

Some were because I was interested in a certain caliber, and the gun was whatever I got, in that caliber.

And I'm not good at getting rid of things I was once interested in, even when I'm not actively using them, I might again, later.

So, overtime, one ..acquires things...;)

I've got guns that are tools for certain jobs, and I've got guns that are sporting equipment. And sporting equipment can be as varied as varied gets. The mountaineer doesn't need the scuba diver's fins, and the diver doesn't get much from hiking boots, etc...

I don't intentionally standardize nor do I intentionally proliferate calibers. Over time I've gained and lost interest in shooting particular calibers for recreation, because the thrill is gone, that's all.

As much as I wanted to keep my reloading gear to a minimum, it's components I like being able to keep to a minimum--but market conditions have solved that problem for me.

I feel very fortunate that the firearm/caliber choices I've made have resulted in a nice re-use of some gear and components: 40SW and 10mm are two calibers I chose because I like them, and they happen to use much of the same reloading and casting equipment. Likewise with 45 Auto and my recently attraction to 45 Win Mag, the two sharing everything but powder. The two odd men out for now are .22LR, which I have zero interest in shooting and don't even enjoy a little bit when I do, and 44 Mag, which I can't currently get enough of.

I'm not really interested in collecting a variety of firearms, definitely not the same firearm in multiple calibers, and I expect the next gun I buy (not counting the one I bought yesterday) will very likely be in a caliber I already have. For me, I've proliferated enough.

Limiting to what I've already expanded to is a consideration--not a rule but a consideration of available space and expenditure of money on what is nothing more than a great hobby for me.

I had to have 45 Win Mag though. I think everyone enjoys something exotic, and I can neither afford nor tolerate women or cars that fit into that category. :)

Just as an aside, my father's definition of 'standard' was pretty simple: if it was an adopted US military caliber of the 20th century, it was standard. If it was a civilian-only caliber, it was a 'bastard' caliber. Anything that any other military weapon was chambered in (except anything produced by Russians, the French, Japanese, Italians or Chinese) was potentially acceptable, even if not standard. Things were fairly black-or-white for Dad, rest his soul.

Last edited:
I'm a standardizer. I've pared it down to:

.22lr
9mm Parabellum
.38 Spl/.357 Mag
.30-30 Win

I need to add 12 ga and .223 to that list, somewhere down the line.

"For pistols - Yes. I standardize.
For rifles - Absolutely not! - Believe there's no such thing!?"

I'm the opposite of Ray...

For handguns, I have a wide variety of CARTRIDGES in a faily wide assortment of handguns...

Used to do the same with rifles and CARTRIDGES...

At one time I was trying to buy as many different rifles in as many different cartridges I could afford...

Then reality set in...

Although I like to reload, I was spending too much time reloading and not enough of my real hobby, SHOOTING!

So I took a hard look at what I needed and really wanted and elimated the rest...

In handguns I kept the .22LR, 9X19mm, .38/.357, 10mm, .41 Mag, .44 Mag and .45 ACP and I keep threatening to sell the .41!

The same was done with my rifles but I eliminated many more CARTRIDGES...

Now I spend less time reloading and much more time shooting...

T.

For handguns, I don't spread out much. 22lr, 9mm, 38/357, and 44Sp/mag.
I've looked seriously at a couple of 40 S&W and 45 ACP pistols but decided against them for the simple reason of adding a caliber costs a LOT of $$.

I want to shoot not standardize. If someone can convince me that all ammo calibers will be available I might consider it. Anytime I look at a new firearm I add at least 400 for the purchase of all of the reloading necessities. My general rule of thumb is 1000 rounds per firearm. If I have multiple firearms in one caliber that number will drop accordingly. I can only shoot so much on any given weekend. I normally reload every week. I have never run out of any thing in the past 25 years and still shoot most weekends. I am also supporting my wife's shooting as well (if I go most likely she goes). The short list looks something like this:
22lr
22 hornet
222 rem
270 win
30 30
7.62x39
38 spl
357 mag
44 spl
44 mag
9 mm
40 s&w
45 acp
12 g
I know I'm missing a few but that's a short list.

Standardization is very important to me. I don't like having a lot of stuff laying around and cluttering up the place. What's the point of having both a 30-06 and a .308 rifle? Sell one, use the money for more ammo, and become a better shooter. Having too many calibers around just smacks of inefficiency to me.

Over the years I've trimmed down to:
.22LR
.357 Magnum/.38 Special
.308 Winchester
12 gauge

I can;t reduce that any more without losing some core shooting functionality.

In handguns I don't have a 25 or a 10. I have everything else about that common or more common. It's fun to shoot a variety. And if there is any handgun ammo for sale, I will have something that shoots it.

I enjoy having a few old-ball cartridges to load for, but even those cartridges, I prefer them to use parent cases of a caliber I already own, not always possible.

but in general, I like to keep most things 9mm, 38/357,.223 and .308. cheap/easy to find components for.

I used to feel the need for standardization,
But realized, its only another set of dies.

Except for the 244/6mm, I already load something in the parent case anyways, or have enough brass to suit my needs.

But I like cross availibility of powder and components
That was what made 300 blackout a non issue.
I load 223&308& 357 mag anyway.
Same for 22tcm.parent cases, powder, already being used.

Last edited:
I have no special need to limit my caliber choices as a matter of convenience. I don't own gobs of guns in many calibers that I shoot.

I started out with a few handguns in .40, .45, and 9mm. I the aquired numerous 9mm handguns and did consolidate to all 9mm. Now with about 35 hand guns All but 7 are 9mm which makes it easy for reloading.

As for rides they definitely run the range from .22 to .223, .450 bushmaster, .30-06, .308 and .338.

Variety is awesome but for range days there is a lot to be said in my mind for common mags and ammo.

Back