is ammo standardization an issue for you?

Different calibers can have different primary uses -- eg, .22 LR for plinking, 9 Luger for self defense. Having multiple calibers for a single primary use has real utility during ammo shortages. In carry guns I own .32 ACP, .380 ACP, 9 Makarov, and 9 Luger. During the ammo shortage of 2013 I could always find ammo in one, usually two, of these calibers at any given gun shop.

What's that saying about the spice of life?

At my age the only spice I can deal with is a little pepper and very little salt:o.

As for firearms I'm all about the .357 Magnum platform. Low power 38 special target ammo up to HOT Magnum rounds. The .357 Magnum does everything I want or need a handgun to do.

The great thing about specializing in one cartridge and using it across multiple "platforms" is that one can really learn most all there is to know about it. Every variation, every practical nuance of bullet type, charge weight, powder type, etc. etc.

Now multiply the joy across several calibers! :D

The old saying "Beware the man with only one gun, he probably knows how to use it.." has more than a bit of truth in it.

One caliber that meets all your needs is wonderful. My needs are a bit more diverse, and my wants are much more diverse.

Some I have for their utility, some I have just for my interest in seeing, for my self, what they were, and what I could do with them.

A duty class autopistol isn't the best squirrel gun. And a good .22 isn't the best defense gun. I don't golf, but I understand why they use different clubs for different things.

"if all you have is a hammer, your problems all begin to resemble nails", has some merit in it, too.

Nope, I'd say I'm pretty standardized.
Yowch! I thought I was keeping a menagerie of ammo...

I did do some pruning on the inventory a few years back. I didn't have time to reload any more, so some cartridges (.41 Mag and 10mm spring to mind) went by the wayside.

Going forward, I'm definitely conscious of ammunition availability when selecting a gun.

I have a number of different calibers, but I've switched to only stocking significant quantities in a few calibers. It makes sense for me to have a few thousand rounds of what I shoot frequently on hand, but I've come to the conclusion that it's a waste of space and effort to try to stock more than just a few boxes of ammo in calibers that I only shoot once in a great while.

It gives me the option of having a variety of calibers but keeps the logistics simple.

I have one defensive handgun cartridge: 9mm
I have one =defensive rifle cartridge: 556
I have one shotgun GA: 12 GA
Lots of 22lrs for the range.

I have some variation in hunting items, but I am currently trying to eliminate that also. I do think i will end up with 2-3 rifles in different cartridges though.

I don't own nearly so many guns as many on here and I am decreasing my centerfire stable to as small as I can.

Let's see...

.22 LR
.32 S&W
.32 S&W Long
.32-20 WCF
.32 ACP
9mm Mak
.38 S&W
.38 Special
.357 Magnum
9mm Para
.41 Magnum
.44 Special
.45 ACP
.45 Long Colt

I seem to have the smorgasbord specialty...

When I started collecting I did. Now I have about every caliber made including obscure stuff to go with the old guns. Stayed away from 40 and 10 however.

Just a quick look and it appears I currently have guns shooting about 44 different cartridges. I am also thinking I have some ammo laying around that I don't have guns for.................yet....... :)

No, I'm not all that particular about ammo standardization. While I tend to favor 9mm's, I like having a few 45's, a couple of .380's, one or two .40's, a 10mm and a 44 magnum....this is excluding my revolvers, most of which I do not shoot.

Diversification in calibers means that I can always shoot. When 9mm was non-existent, I shot my .40. When I need more "umph", I go to my 10mm. Someday, I'm hoping that .380 will be cheap enough again for me to start shooting my Walther.

I think it generally depends on an individual's purpose for owning firearms.
Recreation or hobby>>>>variety, both in firearms and chamberings
Strictly defensive>>>>>>standardization in both.

I solidified my collection a little bit..but not based on ammo really...but it is based on what I like to shoot by caliber ( so kind of the same thing ):

.45 acp 2 guns ( all 1911's)
.40 S&W 3 guns ( all Sigs )
9mm 4 guns ( two 1911's / 2 Sigs )

.44 Mag 3 guns ( all S&W)
.357 Mag 7 guns ( 6 S&W / 1 Freedom Arms)
.38 spl ( none ) but I shoot a little in ..357 mag - and for kids
.22 6 guns ( a mix Browning, S&W, conversion kits )

and I reload all 6 handgun calibers.....( so I keep about a case of bullets for each caliber I load on hand ....4,000 9mm, 2000 .45 acp, about 3,000 .357 mag...( which make up about 90% of my shooting )....
----------------
12ga 5 guns ( 4 Browning / 1 Benellli )
20ga 1 gun ( Browning )
16ga 1 gun ( Westernfield )
28ga 1 gun ( Browning )
.410 1 gun ( Browning )

and I reload for 12ga, 20ga, 28ga and .410....( and about 20 bags of shot ...mostly 8's...but a few 9's and some 7 1/2's ...)...
( and powder and primers of course...) for all of the above...
----------------
If I didn't like reloading....and wanted to keep it simple...( and as I get closer to 70 yrs old ....I've thought about downsizing everything - a little )...:

a. I'd keep a pair of Wilson 1911's - one in 9mm/ one in .45 acp
b. 4 Revolvers in .357 Mag..../ pair of K frames, an N frame, a Freedom Arms
c. Three 12ga shotguns .... 2 Browning O/U's & a Benelli semi-auto
and those guns, calibers, gagues....would meet all my needs for recreation, self defense and bird hunting....

and give the rest of the collection to the kids...

Last edited:
I have to show this thread to my wife. I have five calibers on hand, and some of ya'll are making me look really good in her eyes. :D

I would venture to guess that the OP is not a handloader...

During times of shortage, it is nice to have a variety of cartridges. One can generally find some type of primer, some size of projectile, and at least one type of powder. That means that you are seldom out of luck with regard to loading/shooting.

Of course, if you have been through a few of these cycles, you probably have laid in a supply of components, and you will be shooting next week/next month/next year regardless.

So no, I'm not fanatical about standardization. I don't own every caliber, but I own a few. And I shoot once a week, and could do more if I could find the time.

At least twice, I've sold guns and ammo, to reduce the number of calibers I have to stock.
Now I've given up and just shoot what I enjoy.
:D

All of my carry guns are "point and click" so I don't have to worry about SA/DA or deactivating a safety.
But they vary between .380, .38, and 9mm.

Have some .22s and a .45 for fun.

I have most of the standard calibers except a .40. Im not allowed to buy one of them on the count that my wife wont allow me to buy bullet molds, loading dies, sizing dies, magazines and a holster. She's starting to figure me out :eek:

Actually, I'm starting to move the other direction and trying to diversify my handgun calibers as much as I can. During the great ammo panics of 2008-9 and 2012-13, I noticed that most of the "mainstream" handgun calibers had no ammo or reloading components to be found, but I could often find the same dusty old boxes of "oddball" ammo that had been sitting on the dealers' shelves for years. Currently, my caliber inventory includes guns chambered for the following:

.22 Long Rifle
.25 Auto
7.62x25 Tokarev
.32 Auto
.32 S&W Long
.380 Auto
.38 S&W
9mm Luger
.38 Special
.357 Magnum
10mm Auto
.41 Magnum
.44 Special
.44 Magnum
.45 ACP

Also, while I don't own guns specifically chambered for them, I could shoot the following as sub-loads if I wanted/needed to:

.22 Short
.22 Long
.32 S&W
.38 Short Colt
.38 Long Colt
.44 Russian

I could see myself eventually picking up a gun in 9x18 Makarov, .38 Super, .40 S&W (preferably with a .357 Sig conversion barrel), and .45 Long Colt as well. If I get handguns in all of those calibers, then when/if the next ammo shortage comes I should always be able to find something to shoot.

Back