is ammo standardization an issue for you?

simonrichter

I used to have handguns in many different calibers. With all the various caliber options anyway available for most handgun types (and more price awareness), I started selecting new purchases by caliber, say I would switch a gun only for one in the same caliber and reduced the variation at a time to two calibers. no more leftover ammunition you have no gun for, same ammo cache for all guns...

Is that a practical issue for you as well or do you mix calibers intentionally?

Nope! What's that saying about the spice of life?
Guess under the rule of standardization, if you play golf you only have one club!

I generally stick to 1 caliber, with about 70% 9mm
Makes buying in bulk for 1 caliber more PC at home :)

Last edited:
I have a variety of calibers intentionally and enjoy shooting different guns/calibers. I understand why some folks want to standardize on one caliber, but I personally enjoy the variety. Also, a few years ago during the big rush on ammo I had a difficult time finding 9mm ammo, but found plenty of .40S&W and .45acp locally and on-line.

I have owned and shot, and reload for all but the .32 Short Colt, .380, did not hand-load or cast bullets for that, just owned and shot one of each. Other than those two I have shot and hand loaded for: 9MM, .38 Super, .38, .357, .41 Mag., .44 Spl., .44 Mag., 45 ACP, and the .45 Colt. The reason for not sticking to just one cartridge is that while I may carry a .38 Spl. or 9MM for concealed carry, they are generally held to not be powerful enough for deer hunting. Therefore, different intended uses result in different cartridges. Also, a person may just like to have a gun that happens to be chambered for a cartridge other than they have any purpose. For instance, one may become enamored with a Walther PPK in .32, or a 1934 Beretta in .380, or a 1935 Beretta in .32. Any real handgun enthusiast is logically going to end up with more than a single cartridge.

Not at all, I purchase a new gun/caliber based on what I intend to do with it and then buy ammo to meet my needs(wants). Handgun wise I currently have .40, .357, and .480 Ruger in my collection. I would find a FN Five-seveN fun and there also if I had an extra $2000 for gun and ammo laying around.

All my carry and duty handguns are 9mm with the exception of .380 pocket pistols. Everything else are pretty much range guns, although I need to get a .45 for a woods gun soon.

I limit myself to the common calibers/bullet sizes. 22, 32, 38/357, 9mm, 40, 44, and 45. I feel that I have all ends of the specturm covered and enjoy the variety.

.22LR
.22Hornet
.221 Fireball
.222 Remington
.32ACP
.30-30 Winchester
9mm Luger
.38 Special
.357 Magnum
.357 AMP
.44 Magnum
.44 AMP
.45ACP
.45 Colt
.45 Colt/.410
.45 Win Mag
.45-70 Govt
Nope, I'd say I'm pretty standardized. :D

no .25s (anymore), no .40s (no point to it), nothing bigger than .45...(deliberately not getting into .50 cal, no need,)

If your life is such that the only living thing you ever plan to shoot is a human being and only if absolutely necessary, then a single caliber (or two, suitable for self defense) is fine.

Even better if it is also suitable for some class of game. Nothing wrong with that at all. Me, I like to have more options.

My opinion is if you are an enthusiast and own many guns it makes sense to have a wide variety of calibers for both enjoyment and the practicality of knowing when an ammo shortage happens you are usually able to find something to shoot in what you have.

If you only own a single gun or a couple in same caliber I would store a large supply of ammo/reloading components etc.

I definitely try to standardize. I have no need for custom and wildcat cartridges.

.22, 5.56, .243, .308, 9mm, .357, .40 S&W, .44 Mag, and .45ACP on the other hand are all pretty standard. :D

I have a 38 special, 22 magnum and 380 and a couple of shotguns because I want them. However, most of what I shoot are 9mm and 22lr. I'm going to shoot what is cheapest to replace that I can find without a lot of trouble.

Handguns:
22Short
22Long Rifle
25acp
7-30 Waters
7.62X25
7.62X38R
32 S&W
32acp
9X17
9X18
9X19
35 Remington
38Special
357 Magnum
40 S&W
10MM
410 bore
44Special
44 Remington Magnum
45 Colt
45acp
45-70

Yep. Very much so. Call it neurotic if you choose, but I prefer to specialize in one cartridge (or close family of them). For example, 38 spl./ 357 magnum, which is what I have returned to, after wandering in the wilderness of 9mm Para for many years.

The great thing about specializing in one cartridge and using it across multiple "platforms" is that one can really learn most all there is to know about it. Every variation, every practical nuance of bullet type, charge weight, powder type, etc. etc.

Maybe not for everyone - perhaps boring for some. Works for me, though.

Back