Interesting, inexpensive Handguns

They are a bit rare, but you can usually find one or two on Gunbroker. I bided my time and got one lightly used for something like $330...

The Model 720 is probably the best revolver that Rossi ever made. They only made them for 2-3 years in the early 90's. It is a stainless 3" 44 special revolver. It is maybe a hair smaller than a k frame, but hefty. The sights and trigger are good. Mine is amazingly accurate and lots of fun to shoot.

Rossi44_zps16ad2875-1.jpg

inexpensive handgun

I second the P64. Can be had for under $300, ammo is cheap and super fun to shoot. I got nice wood grips and sent mine to Bob at Acurate plating and had it cleaned up and hadchromed in brushed finish. Beautiful little pistol with just enough snap to make shooting exciting. A colt hammerless in 380 would be nice too.

CZ Rami. Not exotic, but a beautiful, little double stack that is dependable, very accurate and easy to carry all day long. Comparable in size to the Glock 26 and its' "feel" is second to none, especially with the 14 Rd mag.

poor choices because of ammo availability, parts, etc

surplus guns like:

Tokarev = poor choice, ammo is NOT common and hard to find, and Not found at local gun stores, they dont stock it , no surplus, and not much newly made ammo available.

MAKAROV = poor choice , ammo is also NOT common, and no gun stores stock it, it has to be bought mail order or gun shows, very few local gun stores sell the ammo, 9 times out of 10 no gun shop has it in stock, never really caught on, most people prefer standard 9mm luger.

STAR Model B = poor choice , parts & magazines hard to get, poor parts support, oddball.

The internals of the original TP9 is in fact licensed from Walther's patent on the P99. The TP9SA is different.
this is incorrect. I owned the original TP9, and I've compared it side by side with P99s and licensed copies like the baby eagles, it is very much different, in more ways than just superficial looks.

A different point of view...

Tokarev - There are used Chinese ones out there in 9mm - I have one, I think it is called a Model 213. There are also brand-new inexpensive Yugo ones in 9mm.

Makarov - Quite a few Russian commercial models in 380 were exported to the US. I have one.

Star - The Super B is in regular 9mm. They are excellent guns. My FiL liked mine so much that he bought one for himself.

cheap Chinese Tokarev converted to 9mm

I changed the barrel on my Chinese made Type 54-1 and converted it to standard 9mm NATO , still have my original 7.62x25mm barrel , but never use it since the ammo is a problem [not easy to get]

the 9mm barrels are not as common as they use to be, I also have an extra 9mm TOK barrel, I'll probably just keep it as a spare. ;)

Cobray PocketPal. It's a revolver with an *internal* cylinder.

S&W Safety Hammerless. Later ones were available in .38 Special.

Savage Model 1907 in .32 or .380.

Frommer Stop in .32 or .380.

p64

Thanks, Bob does good work. He has been extremely nice and helpfull everytime I have talked to him.

for sale too if you are in the market

Back