Interesting, inexpensive Handguns

Nine the Ranger

This one might be a stretch, but here goes.

After many financial struggles I'm finally in a position to jump back into this hobby headfirst, and to celebrate I want to buy my first handgun. Now I could easily buy a GLOCK brand Glock, or an M&P, or a 1911 of some form, but that just isn't my style.

I'd like something a little different, something cool and unique, maybe something a little underrated. An unseen starlet if you would.

There are a few things I'd like though:
- A roughly $500 price range
- and relatively easy to find ammo, or relatively inexpensive.

I'd love to find ove of the S&W autos (The Model 39 I believe but I could be wrong) or maybe a TT-33, but I'm open to any and all suggestions :D

If it will be both a range gun & a working defense gun:
I'd say a 3rd gen S&W - 3906, or 39xx of some kind. How about a SIG P226 or P229? Or a FN High Power? (All would be surplus/used, obviously)

If just for a range gun, you can find post WWII Walther P-38's in your price range. Beretta 1951, Star Model B (or any of the Star 9mm's).

I'd like something a little different, something cool and unique, maybe something a little underrated. An unseen starlet if you would.

I'll throw out a few suggestions.

-- Ruger P89. Not pretty, but a real tank of a gun that won't let you down.
-- I'll second the idea of the Used/ surplus FN Hi Power or even a CZ 75.
-- Makarovs
-- S&W model 10 or other police trade in revolver.

For your criteria, I think I'd look for a FN Hi Power.

Definitely cool and unique.

Maybe not underrated from the standpoint of being somewhat unknown, but I think a quality forearm is bro ably not going to be an unknown anyway.

And 9mm ammo? Well right now, you can find it almost anywhere. If there is another ammo rush...well, your guess is as good as mine.

I almost never buy a new gun so everything I say here is "used" price.

American Classic 1911, in 9mm...<$400.00

Smith & Wesson 457, 45 ACP <$400.00

Don't be afraid to buy used. The VAST majority of guns get sold/traded because their owners got tired of them, saw something else they couldn't live without, needed money...and so on. I'm not sure either of the two above had ever been fired.

Rock Island Armory 1911's are quite popular, have a good reputation, and start at around $400.

If you can still find one of the surplus Star Super B's, I paid about $200 for mine and it is an excellent pistol.

CDI Sales on Gunbroker is my go-to for surplus pistols. The last time I looked they had Beretta 84's and CZ83's in 380acp, and some S&W third gen 9mm's. The prices started around $200. The $300 ones looked very nice.

S&W 19-3 shooters are available for $400ish and most are accurate reliable guns.

XD's sell often $300-$400 used and rarely loose value! Better than Glocks!

Glock police guns often sell about $400 and have lots of life left!

CDNN regularly has Kahr P40 black dlc with night sights new for $400!

Used/Milsurp/C&R
CZ 82
P 64
Makarov
Yugo M57 (TT-33 with better safety, and longer grip holding one additional round)
Sig P5 (German police trade in)
Walther P1 (post WWII P38)
FEG P9r, P9rk, ( S&W 59 on the inside, very much like Browning High Power on the outside)

New
Tristar (CZ 75 clone in various designs)
Bersa Thunder
SCCY
Remington R51

Another vote for Star semi autos. Currently have 5 (B, Super B, BM, M43 and M45) and all of them are excellent shooters. They are short money, the gun is well put together and in common calibers. You cannot go wrong with one of these.

A friend asked me to clean/inspect a couple of guns that belonged to his mom.
I'm a huge Colt fan, so was really pleased to see what appears to be an unfired Colt Detective Special, but the other gun, also unfired, in the box, with manual, is a . . . Raven .25 auto.
It has so little value that I recommended to the owner that he hang onto it until the city does another buy-back, so he can get at least $100 for it.
At the same time, I'm intrigued by the gun's history, and the fact that it IS a gun, and even in mint condition, with the accoutrements, it can be had for $100.
There are a half-dozen variants, with different finishes and grips, and you could build an extensive collection for cheap. Better than collecting stamps.

If I were going to try to collect something in the $500 range, I might look at the plethora of pocket pistols made in the interwar period. It's not a market that I follow very closely, in terms of price, but there are lots of Colt, Savage, Beretta, Star, Mauser, Sauer, etc., .32s and .380s that are very interesting for their history, and also due to the variety of action types.

This one might be a stretch, but here goes.

After many financial struggles I'm finally in a position to jump back into this hobby headfirst, and to celebrate I want to buy my first handgun. Now I could easily buy a GLOCK brand Glock, or an M&P, or a 1911 of some form, but that just isn't my style.

Hey, y'all, he's looking for something exotic.

If it was me, and run of the mill, common as weeds guns won't do, I think I'd be looking at the Beretta PX4 (or Stoeger Cougar, if the Beretta is out of the price range).

The rotating barrel makes it exotic, and the hammer fired DA/SA system and slide mounted safety makes it out of favor with the Internet gun media cool kids. Thus, not something you see every day. Plus, Beretta's been around for a long, long time. Likely they'll be around to support it.

Back