Interesting bit about cats........

a neighbor had some kids bring her a stray cat from the woods last week
it was pretty worn out from the wilds...
she took it into the vet and spent some money on various tests
that night her husband went down in the basement to visit the little kitty

Kitty bit him

now he will prolly need rabies shots
whats a feral cat worth?

PS one day we were out pheasant hunting with our brittanys...
Tam retrieved us back a very pissed off farm cat! That was a great dog! slobbered up the cat but didn't dent him! :)

dZ

All right, I guess it's a day for stories...

A friend of mine's father (Mr. Crow - he's Native American) was talking to a friend of his who lives on a farm out west. His friend was complaining that he was having a lot of cats come up missing lately, but he didn't know how or why. While they're on the phone, he sees a bald eagle swoop down and snag one of his cats! He asks, "What can I do?"

The answer: "Get more cats."

BTW, I am a cat-lover.

Ozzie, I heard about those a few years ago - only the ones I heard about were 1/2 Manx & 1/2 Bobcat - they called them "BoManx's". Let me know how it goes! But I think I'd have that rascal declawed ASAP!

Rather have a cat than a dog, due to the hours I work. Food dish, water and a clean litter box, no problem. Get home, food is not all gone, water is not all gone and the litter box needs cleaning. Don't get me wrong, I like dogs too, but prefer cats. At this time I am sans cat, still getting over the loss of my last one. I had to have him put away at 20 years of age (his not mine).

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Okay, I'll play. Here's a few quick stories.

We used to have a huge white tom cat named "C.T." which stood for "Counfounded Thing." He was very, very tough. My aunt came for visit and brought her dawg (as we say in Georgia) along with her. She pulled up in our yard and opened the door. Her dawg sees C.T. and commences to attack. Little did he know that C.T. didn't particularly have any fear of dawgs. He just sat there grooming himself until the dawg was too close to escape. C.T. then counter attacked much to the dawg's shagrin. :) Unfortunately, C.T. met his end quite a few years later in the same manner as our previous coyote hunter killed the cat.

As for killing cats, I generally won't kill any animal that isn't causing a problem. We constantly have strays of all sorts passing through our land. If they leave things alone, I leave them alone. If they bother things, they become a target.

The latest stray to pass through our way was invited to stay. He's a Lab/Bassett Hound cross. He's so funny looking that he was worth keeping around just to keep us all in a good mood.

I tend to leave stray cats alone, since you can never be sure when their owners might be about. An elderly uncle of mine had a big chunk of land in south Mississippi and kept a kennel full of beagles. When a neighbor's cat showed up, he'd do his best to hunt it down and kill it, much to my aunt's dismay. His hounds were field-trial dogs and his excuse for going after the cats was that they left scent trails that distracted the dogs.

He mended his ways after following a cat to the edge of his property and, intent on shooting at the cat, failed to notice the old lady who owned the cat stepping out on her back porch with a shotgun! When she started screaming at him, he forgot all about the cat and decided to beat feet away from there. He was a bit too late, though. The irate old woman threw that 12-gauge to her shoulder and hit him with a load of rock salt! She was plainly trying to hit him where the sun don't shine, but he was a bit too fast. Instead, the back of each leg caught several chunks, right through the heavy denim pants. I reckon he got what he deserved.

I've had both cats and dogs as pets, both are interesting in their own unique ways. The interesting thing about cats is that they retain all that wild instinct and capability, yet still want to sleep in your lap. Dogs are either docile and domesticated or completely wild, no in-between.

I have two cats and two dogs. They keep each other entertained. And I would much rather have cats than mice. I apparently also have a feral cat living in my barn. I won't bother him if he doesn't bother my animals. As for shooting anything wild-- I have coyotes and coydogs, and would quickly shoot them to protect my animals...but I darn well want to make sure it isn't a neighbor's dog I am shooting before I pull the trigger. My dogs run loose on our 250 acres, and occasionally wander to the neighbors' place. I will expect my neighbors to extend the same hold-fire courtesy to me.

The other day at work a "field" cat walked into my building and started hanging around. A couple of my co-workers hate cats and one is allergic to them. The next day the cat came back and moved in. A black/gray/white tiger male, about 7-8 months old. It is a polydactal with five toes on his right fore paw and six on his left. I brought him home last night and have him in isolation until I can get him to the vets for a checkup tomorrow morning. If he turns out clean, I guess I'll have four cats and one dog. By the way, the other cats are really upset about this and the dog can't wait to meet him face to face.
Cat

Cat: Here is a cat question re your last post.I had always heard that cats with at least three colors were always female. What gives?

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

Yes, there are cougars being spotted around Harpers Ferry ,West Virginia. A friend of mine and his neighbor on two separate occasions have seen cougars in broad daylight within a few miles of the Potomac River. They have also been spotted beyond Martinsburg West Virginia in the Sleepy Creek area. When my friend saw the cougar, he was following me in his truck and stopped to observe it in a field .I wondered why he had disappeared behind me. The location was nearly the same palce his neighbor saw it a week before. Panthers or cougers have also been seen in Ca`toctin Mts, north of frederick Md. Here is what is strange. Cougers were to have been eliminated in the 1860's in the east except for Florida. But they have been seen many times all up and down southern Appalachians for years. This was a cat topic, right?

Ed, I don't know what to tell you but he is definitely a HE. Even the Vet confirmed it today.
It's even worse. The gray comes from the black and white sort of running together, but there is brown in there also.
My wife has temporarily named him Bob! He has a few things wrong, but he got a couple of shots and we're giving him oral anti-biotics for ten days. He is still in isolation until Monday so the others don't get anything from him. We've got about $85 in him so far and we're not sure if we can keep him yet. He is a real good lap cat and loves to be petted.
My Dad's mother always had cats and my Dad had a couple of cats later in life. When I first got married, I got a cat before a dog.
Cats are American. Independent, sure of themselves, and can take care of business.
Cat

Cats are American. Independent, sure of themselves, and can take
care of business.[/quote}

Succinct, precise and dead on.
The penultimate predator, beautiful in form and function

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Ed, three color cats with black, white and orange (called calico or tortoiseshell) are female. It's something to do with the female having two X chromosomes, and neither gene being dominant. If a male cat has the orange gene (X chromosome) there is no competing gene on the Y chromosome, so the tomcat is orange - the color is called "sex-linked orange" and is like colorblindness in people - mostly males have it. Is there a veterinarian in the house? :) Anoka

Nah ... it's them sheilas!!!

(Sorry, DC -- just kiddin', honest ;))

BT -- braindead from two days at the 1999 Delegates Conference of the Sporting Shooters Association of Western Australia (Inc.)

Back