In The Home Carry

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is almost always a gun within reach in my home. I'm usually am dry firing when I watch a movie/show or am on the computer, but I keep a live mag in my back pocket. If I'm going to sit, I'll pull the mag out and tuck it under my leg. I religiously check the chamber and mag on any gun I'm dry firing if I set it down and come back to it even if I know it would be impossible for a live round to have found its way in there. I realize it can also be dangerous to second guess oneself like that, but not second guessing myself is what led to my ND so... :o

Yeah, four rules and all that.

You are almost more vulnerable in your home because of the lax situational awareness that accompanies a feeling of security and safety. Think about when you're in the bathroom; think about when you're taking a shower! Imagine facing an intruder naked and wet. Forget that.

Dis ma rubber duky when I be washen ma ballz.

IMG_0271.jpg

My Gunsmith got me to start carrying around my home. After telling me a few reasons why I should, it made a lot of common sence.

One main reason to carry in home....Home Invasions are on the constant rise as the most commited crime in America.

Crap happens very sudden, and un-announced....There is that split second you don't have time to go to the room in your home were the gun is kept.

Chance and probability have nothing to do with it. There is no roll of cosmic dice or a lotto drawing with your address number on it, the people who do these things deliberately select their victims and follow them to the home, or select the home as being more advantageous to them from other homes on the same street. The lighting is different, the house across the street is dark, the curtains are already closed, frilly teenage girl curtains in a bedroom window, etc., etc., the point is you are selected, not randomly, but according to what they have decided are discriminatory factors in their favor. Just choosing what neighborhood to check out raises a resident's 'probability' from near zero to 3-4-10 percent, then which street even higher, which block to 1 in 4 or 5, once these animals start the selection process, the danger rises astronomically.

sometimes it can be completely random for whatever reason. I agree selections occur, but even a selection can be random. Case in point, many times a peeper, raper, robber, etc will go house to house in a specific area until they find the one with the unlocked door, window unlocked+open with only a screen barrier, and so-on. It has been documented that many times the target house was the 3rd or 4th one 'come into contact with'.

What leads you to believe "home invasions" are on the rise? For one thing, you won't even find statistics on "home invasions." You can find statistics on burglaries, robberies, murders and so on but not home invasions. That's newspaper talk, just like assault rifles. Do a little research (not so easy, let me say) about crime statistics. They are hardly the same everywhere. Some places are surprisingly safe, others surprisingly dangerous. Birmingham, AL, is more dangerous than El Paso, overall. On the average, crime is dropping nation wide.

Well, make no mistake, things happen. But I'd call it a media expression more than anything. It just gives the wrong image. It makes it seem like a bunch of bad guys knock down the front door and rush in. Only the police do that.

Them in home invaders pass my opld shack up for the brand new 250,000.00 homes 2 roads over. Them folks have new SUVs and 4 door 4 wheel drive monster trucks cost over 65 grand. Me? I drive an old 3/4 ton 4x4 just put in another motor as the last one went 230000 miles..... got an old 84 1/2 ton an old 70s sski boat, yep keep up on the old stuff you never got to buy it again :) but folks think you are poor since i dont have all them monthly payments.....

A good dog is hard to beat for early warning...

Not a bad idea when trouble finds you

A good friend of mine was at his hunting cabin doing summer repairs off NY's Taconic Parkway, about two hours north of NYC. A car drove up his 100 yard long driveway. A woman got out leaving two men in the car. She knocked on the door and said she was having car trouble and needed to make a call.

My friend could hear the car running. He offered to call for her but she insisted on making the call herself. Suspicious, my friend did not allow her to enter the house. Instead, he closed the door and worked the action of a lever gun. At that sound, the woman and her companions fled in their "defective" car.

I know: it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need one and not have it. I can't bring myself to carrying in the home but I won't second-guess those who do.

A good friend of mine was at his hunting cabin doing summer repairs off NY's Taconic Parkway, about two hours north of NYC. A car drove up his 100 yard long driveway. A woman got out leaving two men in the car. She knocked on the door and said she was having car trouble and needed to make a call.

After a conversation with a coworker, found out similar had happened to her husband a few years back during a rash of robberies out in their area of the boonies.

Having already been "caught" by their security lights, the group hightailed back to the vehicle, but did not leave - presumably wanted to see if anyone was actually home (the nerve!). Her husband came out on the front porch (not a "great" idea) with his Mini14, trained it on the driver and told them to leave (Sheriff had already been called).

Driver actually dared him to shoot him and told him that he (husband) couldn't hit him if he tried. This would be when her husband returned that he had been an Army sharpshooter & took out his headlight. She said the ruts were so deep from the driver's burnout it took her all the next morning to smooth out the driveway.

I know: it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need one and not have it. I can't bring myself to carrying in the home but I won't second-guess those who do.

Splendid! And I will not second-guess those that don't -- but that does not stop me from being curious.

What leads you to believe "home invasions" are on the rise? For one thing, you won't even find statistics on "home invasions."

Well, that cuts two ways. With the lack of statistics you've mentioned, how do you know they aren't on the rise.

And so what if they aren't?

They increased noticeably at some point. And who cares about minor increase or decreases where stats are concerned.

I continue to hear about them in my own community on a regular on going basis, and Reno is another one of those cities not not for high crime rate---where bad things happen to good people, anyway.

As I write this, there's a serial robber/rapist on the loose in adjoing Sparks, Nv. who's been following elderly women home apparently to find out where they live, then laying in wait for them, in their homes, at a later date.

Last edited:
Carrying on-body is a given, but in the case of the poor couple it may not have changed the outcome given how the criminal killed them. As always, just having a firearm or even a knife is better than nothing, and the closer it is to you the better.

what I think isn't going to be cuttin the mustard here, but I would guess personally that home invasions are on the rise. I read about them on the news CONSTANTLY.

i'm moving to a gated community for old geezers (not quite there yet myself-but close). only have to worry if demented, blood thirsty geriatrics take their geritol.then i will have to home carry.
Yep, just stick your head deep in that sand pile...everything will be just fine.

Don't even stop to consider the possibility that because you live in a nice nieighborhood, you have nice stuff...that those people who would rather not work for a living would like to take away from you.
Them home invaders pass my old shack up for the brand new 250,000.00 homes 2 roads over. Them folks have new SUVs and 4 door 4 wheel drive monster trucks cost over 65 grand.
Ba...ba...ba...bingo.

What leads you to believe "home invasions" are on the rise?
Well, let's start with this. When I was a kid, the term "home invasion" did not exist. FWIW, neither did "I-phone" or "Facebook". Each is in common use today. The world continues to change, and not always for the better.

As a poster on our Texas CHL Forum uses as a sig line..."Carry 24/7 or guess right." I couldn't have put it better myself, and have embraced the concept.

Last edited:
I was trained in Viet Nam in combat by a bunch of tough old timers to never ever let my rifle out of arm's reach, whether eating, sleeping, going to the bathroom,,,anything.

That to me is good training for anyone carrying concealed as what good is a firearm if you can't get to it in time, even in the supposed safety of your own home, and I have a dog and an alarm system. I have carried concealed 24/7 ever since Viet Nam, over 40 years ago. By the way I much prefer a rifle or shotgun to a handgun.

The only time a firearm is not within my arms reach is when I am sleeping as I have nightmares and have my firearms just far enough away that I have to be awake to access them.

Kudos for PH/CIB

With all the continual discussions about nightstand guns, I'm glad to read that someone has sense enough to recognize the danger of having a gun within arms reach while asleep. Having to take a step or three to reach the gun insures against confusing a dream with reality or possibly confronting a family member returning late from a date or whatever. But then, Vietnam veterans tend to think alike:)

I live in layers 24/7,No i'm not paranoid just safe.

We have outdoor lights,4 night vision security cameras outside and 2 inside.We have 3 dogs that are really alert,and we live at the end of a road, 99% of the time i'll see you well before you get close enough to my house to be much of a threat.Every tv can be turned over to see the cameras with a click of the remote,and in the living room i have a small tv set up just to moniter cameras visually and audio.

I always carry at home for 2 reasons,for protection from home invasion,and i keep my doors open must of the year so i don't have to run a/c,the kids and dogs love it.I'm sitting here right now with my Glock 22,a robe,sweat pants,and a t shirt on.

quote: Federali
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With all the continual discussions about nightstand guns, I'm glad to read that someone has sense enough to recognize the danger of having a gun within arms reach while asleep. Having to take a step or three to reach the gun insures against confusing a dream with reality or possibly confronting a family member returning late from a date or whatever. But then, Vietnam veterans tend to think alike
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, we think somewhat alike. I was in Vietnam in the Marine Corp in 1969.
But I did not carry a gun for 40 years, and only after the breaking point came. That was Major Hasaan at Ft. Hood, and thereafter I got my gun permit.

My guns are all (three of them), within arms reach of me while sleeping, and
I don't have nightmares, and have never claimed ptst. But there are no family members returning from a date to my apartment. If someone comes in accounced I can be sure it is a bg. My brother in law enforcement thinks people should have two shotguns. That is not for me. Three handguns is enough. The only time I feel unsafe is on federal property as was the case the other day, when a man approached my vehicle, and said "Give me a Thousand Dollars". Worse yet, he and I were the only two vehicles in the lot, and he was standing between me and my exit path. I said I don't have any money. After he went to his car another guy from a motel nearby got into his vehicle with him. I was trying to figure out if these guys were going to try and rob me, if I would be able to run him down with my vehicle, if he tried or if they attempted to break into my vehicle, which was locked but the window was rolled down about 3 inches. By then I had the windows back up,
the motor running and ready to exit. I had my disabled daughter in the vehiole with me, and if attacked I do not intend to surrender the vehicle. He turned out to be a harmless veteran, but it shocked me, and I did not have homeland security with me. I prefer my guns all within arms reach, but if I had nightmares, I might think differently. Afterwards, I thought isn't it ironic that the laws to protect us, actually may endanger out lives and our safety. Both turned out to be harmless veterans. But for a moment I was regretting that I am a law abiding citisen.:(

Have a firearm easily available? Sure. Carry a firearm on my hip while I am at home is just not for me. If bad-guy gets to me before I can get to the home gun, then so be it. I am not going to be "switched-on" while I am in my home. There is a mental channel that we are tuned into when we carry or involved in any serious task and it is not condusive to peace and relaxation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back