Improved 9mm rounds ?

From what I have read, it is not necessarily that they exceed the performance of the .40 S&W as much as they have increased in 9mm performance. Therefore, the more potent 9mm with the increased number of rounds has become more desirable to many over the .40 S&W.

In the "many category" is a number of LE Agencies.

Ballistics has little do with me choosing 9mm over 40. It's already been proven that the 9mm is perfectly capable of getting the job done, so even if the .40 does have an edge balistically over the 9mm, that doesn't mean the 9mm isn't a capable round. So with that being said, 9mm allows me faster and smoother followup shots, all while carrying extra ammo on board. To me, the round that allows me to put rounds on target faster, more efficiently, and with better accuracy, all while still being a more than capable round, is the clear winner.

Last edited:
christintexas said:
What are those new improved 9mm rounds that meet or exceed performance of 40s&ws'? Thanks

Thing is, those new bullet and cartridge designs have also benefited the .40s&w cartridge as well.

Nothing wrong with 9mm today. I carry both 9mm and .40s&w and I don't feel under gunned with either.

But, if you boil it down to simple physics, .40s&w is a larger diameter projectile that leaves a bigger hole. If it expands fully it will leave an even bigger hole. It is also a heavier grain bullet than 9mm so it imparts slightly more mass into the target.

On that same principle, .45acp leaves a bigger hole than either 9mm or .40s&w. Neither will ever expand to the same size as .45acp. Neither will ever weigh as much as a 230gr .45acp bullet.

I don't get it. I have no issues shooting the .40 quickly and accurately. In fact I was at a deer lease last weekend and my 17 year old and his 18 year old bud shot my Gen. 3 Glock 23 for the first time, safely and accurately. My Gen. 4 Glock 22 s even easier to operate safely and accurately. There's a lot to be said for 16 rounds of 180 JHP ammo. I'll always choose one of my .40's over my M&P9 for concealed carry.

"I don't get it. I have no issues shooting the .40 quickly and accurately."

Me neither. I am confused when so many people repeat the opposite.

What is not to get? Many of us ( far too many to be anomalies) shoot 9 mm better. That is not a criticism of .40. It is simply a fact. If it doesn't apply to you, then .40 is a great choice.

It seems my thread has been hijacked by posters who have made it 9mm vs .40s&w contest. I only only wanted to know exact names of these improved 9 mm cartridges.

This load is pretty impressive!

0.74 expansion and 15" penetration looks pretty solid to me with a 147gr bullet.

If you buy off on ballistic studies, that is solid 40 s&w performance. I still would prefer 40 for when things don't go by the textbook,

Last edited:
One of the many I see cited is the Federal HST which is I what I personally keep in mine. Bonded hollow point which stays together for solid expansion and penetration

I still think it is a matter of personal taste.

If it was faster is better, then I can shoot a 9mm PDG and quick, but I can shoot a 22LR semi-auto faster and more accurately.

I wouldn't want to use a 22LR for defensive purses, but be damn sure I would if I had to.

It's already been proven that the 9mm is perfectly capable of getting the job done

While I get the point of your post I think the equivalence that has been shown is that all the common concealable handgun rounds have been shown incapable of quickly stopping a competent and determined attacker reliably. Most stops are psyhcholical in nature and not physiological (at least in the very short term)

I don't get it. I have no issues shooting the .40 quickly and accurately

Neither do I, but given that 9mm has less recoil I can shoot tighter groups in rapid fire with 9mm than I can with .40, all while still being a more than capable round. It's not a matter of not being able to handle the .40, it's a matter of being able to shoot the 9mm better, my shooting performance is far more important to me than a slight edge in ballistics.

Dufus said:
If it was faster is better, then I can shoot a 9mm PDG and quick, but I can shoot a 22LR semi-auto faster and more accurately.

I wouldn't want to use a 22LR for defensive purses, but be damn sure I would if I had to.

The only difference is 9mm is a proven round while still having the benefit of faster and more accurate followup shots, .22lr is not. While faster is better may apply to 9mm, it does not apply to .22lr. Just like bigger is better may apply to .40 or .45, though it wont apply to the 500 magnum, at least for self defense purposes.

is that all the common concealable handgun rounds have been shown incapable of quickly stopping a competent and determined attacker reliably.

All the common concealable handgun rounds have ALSO been shown capable of quickly stopping a competent and determined attacker reliably. ONE SHOT, DRT.

You cherry pick you data, and I'll do the same.

The simple fact is that everything that has ever been used has both failed, and succeeded. Every shooting is NOT identical, everyone shot is NOT identical, for every documented failure, you can find a documented success, and vice versa.

The only difference is 9mm is a proven round while still having the benefit of faster and more accurate followup shots,..

Personally, I've never found the 9mm to HAVE the claimed "faster, more accurate followup shot" over the .45. Not in my hands, at any rate, and if I can't do it, then there IS no advantage, for me.

I admit, I don't have a .40, never had any interest in one. Always seemed to me to be a solution in desperate search of a problem.

Back