I'm thinking about leaving the revolver world...

One of my first guns was a revolver - a S&W 547. Half of my handguns are revolvers.
Revolvers and semi-autos have their own place in the tool box. Would I carry a revolver if I knew I was going into the city? Probably not. I probably wouldn't carry a revolver that holds less than 8 rounds if I had a choice. Anything less, I would use as a backup gun if I had a choice. With that said, my last purchase was a S&W 627. Personal opinion, to each their own.

To each their own an if you on't shoot 'em - then why keep 'em? But, about the time you dump your last revolver, I'm guessing that you will have some "seller's remorse".

Personally, I've shot revolvers for about 55 years and would be lost with out 'em. I have a couple of semi-autos - a Ruger MKIII Target that I haven't shot since the 22 shortage of a few years ago but I just can't seem to want to part with it. The other is my Smith 9mm Shield that I CCW at times when I'm not carrying my Smith 36s. Depends on where I'm going but I usually reach for a wheel gun before I'l reach for the Shield.

But, if you're tired of your wheel guns, there will always be someone there that wants them!

Of all my guns, if I had to cut it down to just three, all would be revolvers. I like my semiautos fine, but the three I have now that I would keep are special to me, the looks, the feel, and the fact I can shoot a revolver better than a semiauto in general, would make me keep them and let the others go.

If I had to get rid of everything but 3:

Dan Wesson 715
S&W 28
Dan Wesson 44.

Semiauto I would keep if I was allowed 4 is my Sig P220, then would be one of my Tanfoglio "Mossad" 9mm fullsized guns. I don't own Glocks, M&P's, or XD's, and never will.

I'm a revolver guy, but when I have something I lose interest in, or see something that interests me more, I have no trouble selling or trading and getting what I do want. I won't say "don't use" because to be honest I don't use most of the ones I've got.

If I change my mind later on, I can always start all over again. I never had anything so rare it couldn't be replaced. I doubt many of us have.

They're just guns. They made a bunch of them, and make more everyday.

Good Morning, Hal,

I feel your pain. Excellent quality semis dominate self-defense handguns. They have less moving parts. They are more reliable. Semis are easier to conceal. They fire powerful self-defense cartridges. They are faster to reload.

With that written, were I to own only one handgun, it'd be a .357 Mag, hopefully a 4" pre-lock Model 27-2.

rodfac,

A good quality semi will out-shoot the best quality revolver.

They's a reason the Gold Cup dominated handgun shooting.

Revolvers don't have a chance on tactical shooting courses.

:D I like shooting revolvers in competition as one should have some practice with the 5 shot is enough J frame.

It is fun. Given that there are few revolver shooters in competition nowadays, I can tell you that once when I shot a SW Model 19, I came in second behind a national revolver champion. Guess how many shot revolver that day. :rolleyes:

You got to do what makes you happy. I just hope when you leave this world on
your stone is not chiseled " Killed by a punk with a plastic Pistol ":D

I'm in the opposite camp. My all time favorite has always been a 1911 and I'm quite fond of my CZ's and Sigs but in my old age I've grown tired of chasing brass and quite frankly the longer sight radius of my revolvers enhances my accuracy. While the .45acp has always been first choice for home defense a .44mag. or .45 Colt are first choice for those walks in the woods. As I get older bigger and slower the big and slow .45 Colt has become the go to for those walks.:(

I think I'm ready for a break from the 5-shot revolver world. Those things have been getting on my nerves all year. Papa wants a K-frame.

77120d1375805714-revolvers-love-em-revolvers-elegant-weapon-more-civilized-age-500x400.jpg
That's really pretty immature.

There is nothing more or less "clumsy and random" about an autopistol vs a revolver. If someone can't shoot straight, the problem is not with the gun.

If someone can't shoot straight, the problem is not with the gun.
I think that is just curmudgeon nonsense, since some guns clearly shoot better for an individual than others. We keep and endorse the guns that make us look good.

Well here's another curmudgeon's opinion.

People who can really shoot, and that almost always means people who understand trigger control, can shoot anything better than most people can shoot their favorite whatever it might be.

Dave

We keep and endorse the guns that make us look good.
Not me.... I keep and shoot my guns because 'I' like them and they shoot well for 'me'. Simple as that. Not because it makes me 'look' good (big whoopie do).... I shoot because I enjoy it. As soon as it becomes competitive or 'my gun has more bling than your gun' or 'yours holds 20 rounds instead of 5' ... it is no longer 'fun'.

After awhile, parsing each others words in order to make rhetorical responses becomes very tiresome. Clearly we value the guns that we shoot well, many choosing to sell any others. Why quibble about that?

Back