I'm thinking about leaving the revolver world...

You'll never win if you reduce the number of toys you can buy. Nobody says you have to shoot everything you own regularly either. You can call yourself a collector.

In fact, I sold off two very pristine model 19's back in 2009 for a price that will make a lot of people cry ($~ $290 for each)
That should be your answer right there!
You made one egregious mistake, don't double down and do it again.

I wouldn't sell off anything. Interest comes and goes and one day you realize that the gun you haven't shot in years is now the most interesting one you own. Don't let it be the one you don't own anymore.

shafter said:
I wouldn't sell off anything. Interest comes and goes and one day you realize that the gun you haven't shot in years is now the most interesting one you own. Don't let it be the one you don't own anymore.

I know this is also Cheap Shooter's philosophy, but I don't agree with it. I had a Sig P245 and we just didn't get along. I shot my P228 and P229 very well, but I could not shoot the P245 well. I traded it (plus money) for a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special and could not be happier. I sold my Springfield Armory XDs .45 to a friend because I hated the trigger. I changed it out for the Powder River Precision and that made it unreliable. I gave him a good deal on the gun and gave him the original parts. Don't miss it at all.

There might be guns that you just don't care for at all. Why tie up money and space when you can buy something you enjoy? The only gun I want to get rid is the Kahr MK9. The frame is made of cheap stainless that is subject to pit rusting and it is WAY too heavy for a 6+1 9mm. If ARs go through the roof again like they did after Sandy Hook, I might sell off my Colt HBAR. It has sat in the safe for years. I don't care for outdoor ranges unless I'm doing tactical shooting and ARs indoors are pretty much pointless.

Hal said:
I just don't have that old "itch".

That's cool. Life's too short to feel like you're supposed to feel the love. Shoot whatever makes you happy, and don't feel guilty about it, IMO. There's a world of great firearms beyond the revolver.

Back I my reloading days I was constantly experimenting with brass catchers.
Nowadays the only semiautomatics I really enjoy shooting are 22s.

Sarcasm warning! Its a joke. And I don't have these things.

"Yeah,darn.I have this pile of old single shot rifles.Sharps,HiWalls,Stevens,Ballards.....but now that I have bolt guns and AR's...I don't shoot them much.
And those twice barreled shotguns.....LeFever,L.C.Smith,Parker,Ithaca NID,Sterlingworth....doggone,steel shot and all...these days I use the Bennelli
or the SPAS...
And those fossil Colt Single actions...And lever guns...I can't believe I own muzzle loaders!
An 03A3? A Garand??

I mean,lets get real!!!

Why own anything but a Glock,an AR,and a Bennelli?

Life is too short to shoot ugly guns. Here a few beauties, all .44s:

And, for variety, some .45s:

And a few small bores, all .357s:

Bob Wright

I carry a 1911a1 EDC but my favorite handgun is the first one I bought with my own very hard earned money in 1963 a single action .22 revolver. When you ever hear of me selling it or my other revolvers the Devil will be rent ice skates because hell froze over.

I took an honest assessment of every gun I own & had to admit - - I just don't shoot a revolver any more.

In fact, I sold off two very pristine model 19's back in 2009 for a price that will make a lot of people cry ($~ $290 for each)

Oh well - they went to good homes.

Anyhow, I was on the line about getting a new S&W M69 "snubby".

Now I'm wondering - why?

Maybe it's time to just admit - I just don't have that old "itch".

Matter of fact, I bet it's been over 20 years since I shot my pet M19!

I know for a fact the last time I shot my M17's was New Year's Eve - 1999.

Yeah you should give it up to me. I️ would be happy to help you.[emoji23]

I’m always shooting my revolvers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Since August I have purchased two more revolvers......now have a total of three.

Seems as though I grab them to go out back shooting before I think about a semi.

I am starting a scrap metal drive so send them to me and I will add them to the other rusted metal pile. The metal will be used to help a very deserving old man enjoy his last days.

:D

Last edited:
My shooting buddy has a very nice 6" Ruger GP100.

It has a great trigger and is extremely accurate. He can shoot it better than any of his semi-automatics every day of the week and twice on Sundays. But he rarely brings it to the range and prefers to shoot his service-type semi-automatic pistols.

I have a similar situation. I have numerous revolvers that I can shoot much better than any of my semi-automatics (other than maybe my Buck Mark).

As a result, I prefer to shoot my revolvers.

Apparently they are all pretty much just range toys for both of us, and different strokes for different folks.

Except for the little ones with debatable firepower or round count, revolvers don't carry concealed very well.
That's really what sparked this thread.

I've been Jonesing for a S&W M69 ever since they came out.
When the snubby came out, I was doing the pee-pee dance at the door of every gun store I could find, trying to locate one.

None want to carry it - all would be happy to order it - for full boat retail w/a substantial down payment (non-refundable).

I figured, despite my huge dislike of the L-frame, that a snub nose 69, wouldn't be all that much more to hide than a snub nose K.

Then I started mulling over the cost.......

Which in turn got me wondering if the money wouldn't be better spent on something else.

Thankfully, I don't have to get rid of what I have.

I might even want to add a S/A .44 mag.......maybe.....maybe not...:confused:

I went t hrought this about 15 years ago, I found myself more interested in my semi's than my revolvers. This transition then went to shotguns and then to rifles. Now I'm happy to go out and shoot my revolvers again. It seems to be a big circle for me and as my interest changes from platform to platform I am glad I did not get rid of my other guns. Like it was mentioned they can sit in a safe and not cost anything to keep unless you need the money? My interest also changed when I was reloading more often because picking up brass can be a pain, I also found I could afford to shoot favorites like my 45colt more due to the reduced price in ammo. Good luck in your decision.

This thread has finally pushed me to the brink:

I am now giving up pastrami and concentrating
on corned beef.

If I ever have a pastrami on rye again, it's
because I lifted it from a friend's plate at
the deli.

My favorite handgun to shoot of all the handguns I've own is my stainless S&W Model 686 Plus 4" barrel. I've tweaked it over the years and it has the most awesome trigger action. It is also accurate. I love 357 magnum and just recently came upon a RCBS press with 38 special dies. Definitely will be reloading in the very near future means more shooting fun.

I would never ever part with my revolvers. Just too much fun and they look way better than semi auto pistols. Mi dos centavos.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

I swing both ways and always will. Started my Police career in the Army MPs with a 1911A1. Went into civilian law enforcement with a S&W model 10. Forty plus years later a wheel gun is in my pocket and a bottom feeder on the belt. I love diversity.

After shooting your automatics for several range sessions...and getting used to the mediocre accuracy they routinely hand out, especially from the short range defensive fire drills we've all been accustomed to, take out one of your revolvers....marvel at the smoothness of its SA trigger, back on out to 25 yds and concentrate on your sight alignment and picture...then see what real accuracy is all about.

Defensive shooting at close ranges with autos desensitizes us to what precision is available from a truly accurate handgun...and even an average revolver has a SA trigger that puts 99% of the autos to shame. Yep, I'll agree that an auto is easier to shoot in DA mode when compared to a revolver's long and heavy pull...but that SA mode is there for a reason...slow, deliberate, superbly accurate fire at longer distances.

Switching back to one of my Smiths re-awakens me to the basics: Sight alignment & picture, trigger control, and continuity of grip. The skills re-learned with a revolver are cross disciplinary...they'll apply to the autos too...and when finished with my old friends, I find that I'm better when I return to the close in CC auto drills. My revolvers are the schooling tools that do this...

HTH's Rod

Last edited:
Smee makes a good point about brass and reloading. When using one of my autos, close in on defensive drills, I have a tendency to watch my ejected brass rather than pick up the front sight for a needed 2nd shot. It's a bad habit that could be fatal in a defensive encounter. Any break in concentration on the defensive task at hand is detrimental to my health. Two shots from a controlled pair, then assess, move to cover and watch for add'l assailants...that's the drill...not watching where my brass is falling in the weeds and grass on my farm range! With a revolver, there's no desire to do that...good point Smee...you reminded me of one of the basics!. Rod

Back