if you were fighting In WWI what rifle would you choose

If I were to fight World War I, I would opt for either a F-16 or if I couldn't get one of those, I would most happy with a 50cal mini gun on the Warthog. Hey, you don't think I want to get back in the dirt again. I did that in another war and I do not highly recommend it. It's not the fun that some have it cracked up to be, especially since the mud is up to and in your crack.

i'd take my 1943 lee enfield no.4 mk1. but ammo is spendy......but it will split watermelons at well over 100 yds.........head shot!

These topics are always fun, and I love the posts naming something that hadn't been invented yet, but in fact you would use whatever that large, nasty man with the stripes on his sleeves gave you and if you didn't like it, he would plant his boot up your rear end.

Same as now.

Jim

What I was issued with- I would not want ammo supply problems at critical times or run the risk of being mistaken for the enemy in CQB in poor light.

I knew a WWII vet who told me he latched onto a "Schmeisser" (MP.38 or MP.40) early on in France. The first time he used it, he caught fire from both sides. He threw it away and got an M1 rifle.

Jim

Are these WWI rifles or just the most arcane battle rifles you could think of?

yup those are all WW1 rifles. The are the first generation of repeating rifles. Alot of them saw combat on zepplins, and early airplanes ( before machine guns were mounted) and the navies used them as well.

If you thought the BAR was the first "automatic rifle" then you would be sadly mistaken.

The Federov was issued to only one company, for testing, just before WWI broke out. It was used in combat, but never got into even batch production until 1920, then was never mass produced because better rifles were coming along. It was chambered for the 6.5x50.5 Japanese round.

The Mauser never got into even limited production.

The Mondragon was the only rifle of the three that had any substantial issue, but it reportedly was not very reliable.

There was not a lot of use of the BAR in WWI. It was demonstrated in France in June 1918, but significant numbers were not available until September. Even then, few were issued as Pershing wanted to wait until there were enough to equip the whole American army. (Like most other commanders, he expected the war to last into 1919.)

There was some combat use starting in late September, but the armistice was on 11 November, so the BAR's role in France lasted only a month and a half and was very limited.

Needless to say, those who would have chosen an M1 rifle, an M14, or a 7.62mm Minigun would have had a long wait.

Jim

612.gif

43-1 - Mannlicher 1891
43-2 - Mannlicher 1893

Germania
44-1 - Mauser 1902
44-2 - Mauser 1906/08
44-3 - Mauser 1916

Danimarca
45-1 - Mauser 1896

Italia
46-1 - Cei-Rigotti 1890

Messico
47-1 - Mondragon 1908

614.gif

Russia
48-1 - Roscshepej o Rostschepej o Roshchepey 1905
48-2 - Fiodorov 1907/13 (anche Fjodorow o Federov)
48-3 - Fiodorov 1916, automatico

USA
49-1 - Browning 1918

Francia
50-1 - RSC (o RSZ?) 17
50-2 - RSC 18

Its amazing how many people chose rifles that were not around yet. These people went to the C&R area, responded, but apparently don't know WWI weapons at all. Of course some of these people were kidding.

I own the Enfield 1917, and I like that. The other ones I never handled or shot so I have to go with what I know. The enfield 1917 has a better sighting system than the Springfield 1903.

Back