if you were fighting In WWI what rifle would you choose

The only problem with selecting an M1 rifle in WWI is finding a reliable power source for your time machine.

Jim

Browning%20Automatic%20Rifle.JPG

Based on having my first (full-length, from WW2) LE #4/1 the LE.:) Other than the LE #4, #5, my only milsurp is a MN 44.

A (marksman) friend who set some iron sight records with the AR (200 & 600 yards), had never used an LE. We were at 'MSSA' in Lakeland and he tried four rounds from 50 yards with this #4, and they were just outside the bullseye.

He then sat on the ground with no artificial support and tried one shot from 100 yards.
The hole was in the middle of the bullseye. Mike said "I quit".

Last edited:
I think my choice is pretty obvious ... she measures .311 at the grooves and was used by my countrymen for WW1, WWII and Korea.

Tiki.

Why, the Ross of course. Nothing like having the bolt come back and go thru your fore head if you don't reassemble it correctly.:eek:

Crosshair, some folks would pick laser rifle if you said pick the weapon you would use of the then availible ones, in the revolutionay war.....just something about the internets that bring out the least in people......

lol
smkings8th6sl.jpg

Last edited:
Either a SMLE or G1887 Schmidt-Rubin. Of course a BAR would be my first choice if you consider it a rifle rather than a LMG.

the M1 guys

Ok you all give those guys a break. I am sure their eyes are as bad as mine.
I would want a remington or winchester shotgun but for rifle an 03a3.
The rear sight just looks better.

It would definitely be the BAR as my first choice. I would go for a P17 or P14 for my second choice.

I was a disservice to the Americans that served in the Great War that the military commanders would not allow the BAR to be deployed over seas.

hmm

Mosin Nagant? That adds a new wrinkle as the 1891 and the 1891 Dragoon were used in WWI... even had a Carbine version (1907)

Lee Enfield.

In one of his articles in American Rifleman, Captain Herbert McBride said it was a better battle rifle than the 03.

Better sights, ten rounds, and hardly nothing breaks.

If I had my choice of any rifle, I would pick one that had a buttstock cavity so large that I could crawl inside of it and be protected from Artillery.

I would come out after Armistice day. :D

Back