if you were fighting In WWI what rifle would you choose

Ok you all give those guys a break. I am sure their eyes are as bad as mine.
I would want a remington or winchester shotgun but for rifle an 03a3.
as is your history the 03A3 wasn't adopted til 1942

I have shot mausers, mosins , and enfields, and for me, like many, the Enfiekld is the clear choice.... just a better rifle for having while trying not to be killed by others who are shooting at you.....

Gewehr 98, makes the biggest holes of all infantry WWI weapons, its nearly indestructable, easy and fast to reload, accurate, foolproof, reliable, and with a bayonet attached it makes a nice pike or throwing spear.

Oh did I mention the awesome heavy recoil which makes you feel alive?:D

I'm not too impressed with the "bigger" hole of the 8mm verse 7.62, .30-06, 7.5 swiss of .303. It's a pretty incremental change in size and weight. They're all accurate and have plenty of stopping power. The K98 is a superbly built rifle, but that's not saying a whole lot, as they were all superbly built rifles (other wise we wouldn't still have them). The action of the K98, Enfield, Ross and K-11 are all butter to operate compared to most big bore rifles. But, the Ross and K-11's straight pull bolts are going to be faster to fire and the K-11 firing swiss 7.5 is like shooting a match rifle. So, after much deliberation: if I can't have my BAR, I'll take a K-11. Or an 1887.

People asking for a 1903a3 are doing a bit of time traveling to. During WWI your choices were the 1903 or 1903Mark I toward the end of the war which added a Peterson device.

choice for WW1

as stated, the M1 garand did not come to being until after 1936, so that's out for WW1. The BAR 1918 did come into play, but the allies were so afraid the germans might get a BAR they withheld the BAR's from the front lines, but the war was soon overwith so the BAR never really saw WW1 service. If it did wonder about the outcome ?? So, down to a Springfield 1903.........where do I pick mine up ?????

Not much talk about the M1891 Mosin nagant. Accurate, reliable, powerful. And with a bayonet, it might be long enough to stab someone across
no-mans land.:D Its close between that or Lee Enfield. I love the ten round mag.

Mosin Nagant of Lee Enfield. I have read somewhere 7.92 not as good ballistcwise (is this even a word?) than 7.62 or .303. Would definetly prefer 10 round magazine though.

Honestly Id have to choose the Mle 1916 Berthier Carbine.

-Very short and light rifle.(Good in close quarters trench fighting)
-5 shot mag
-Shoots a 220gr 8mm Bullet
-Has a cover over the clip ejection port to keep out dirt and debris
-Well built and accurate
-Has big bayonet with a 15 1/2 blade
-Some rifles were also fitted with primitive night sights for low light shooting

Like others have answered. The BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle). Yea, its heavy for a combat rifle, but having a 20 round mag has its advantages. During WWI, yes it was issued in small numbers and used in combat near very end of war. The WWI BAR did have selective fire, either semi auto or full automatic. Unlike the ones in WWII, which by then had been converted to only full automatic fire.

Last edited:
Easy.

Cei-Rigotti

CEI-RIGOTTI.jpg

or

Fedorov Avtomat

fedorov1.jpg

or

Mondragon
mondragon.jpg

or
Mauser Selbstlade-Karabiner
slkaf9.jpg

The SMLE. I have liked the story of the Battle of Mons, where the BEF fired their SMLEs so rapidly and so accurate that the Germans thought they were facing machine guns.

Despite my only Mauser (Yugo 48A) also being simple to operate, my Lee-Enfield #4 and #5s hold twice as much ammo.

And it is much easier and quicker for me to use the LE's peep sight, whether in bright sunlight or in deep shadows at 5:00 PM.
Don't get me wrong, the Mauser has just as much appeal.

Back