if you were fighting In WWI what rifle would you choose

smleno1mkIII

Hmm. Enfield,03 springfield, gewehr 98 , steyr mannlicher,ross ,p17, 03turk, chau chau na just kidding lol.:)

Last edited:
I'm thinking whatever whichever army gave me. Also, just a heads up, if you use correct spelling and capitalization, it looks a lot better than it does as is.

edit: I believe it's Gewehr, Chauchat and I'm not sure what this 03 Turk is you mean.

But, I'd presonally prefer one a K-11 or M1887, myself.

Last edited:
There's an old saying:
When going to WWI, the Germans took a hunting rifle, the Americans took a target rifle, and the Brits took a battle rifle.

Any of them will do the job. In WWI, I'd be more interested in staying deep underground than what rifle I was carrying. :eek:

Well if i was fighting it wouldn't be a video game where you can choose your weapon and your team, however i would want either an m1 Garand or a 1903 Springfield and a 1911 on my side.

Favorite WWI Rifle

British Enfield for the magazine capacity and the sights. My favorite rifle today is the 03-A3 for the magazine cut-off and the sights. I wish someone would make a mini - 03 in stainless steel and chambered for intermediate cartridges.

Enfield, no question. I hear the Remington Model 8 performed favorably in testing, so it might be nice to have an auto loader.:D

Dulce et Decorum Est

1 Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
2 Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
3 Till on the haunting flares we turned out backs,
4 And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
5 Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots,
6 But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame, all blind;
7 Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
8 Of gas-shells dropping softly behind.

9 Gas! GAS! Quick, boys!--An ecstasy of fumbling
10 Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time,
11 But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
12 And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime.--
13 Dim through the misty panes and thick green light,
14 As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

15 In all my dreams before my helpless sight
16 He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

17 If in some smothering dreams, you too could pace
18 Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
19 And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
20 His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin,
21 If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
22 Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs
23 Bitter as the cud
24 Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,--
25 My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
26 To children ardent for some desperate glory,
27 The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
28 Pro patria mori.

Wilfred Owen

I opt for the artillery.

OH! I forgot: BAR! I'd want a BAR! But that's 1917, so it's the end of the war. Otherwise, I stand by my prior statements.

Enfield no question, smooth action and overall operation. its accurate, holds and reliably feeds 10 rounds, what more could you ask for?

I would take a Fusil Automatique Modele 1917, the first mostly reliable semiauto. And even if it got gunked up, it made an acceptable straight-pull.

Modele1917Right.jpg

Awhawhaw! Call me Frenchy, they probably had better food too.:D

you don't know what a 1903 turkish mauser is you know the turkish mausers you used to be able to buy at big 5 for 50 bucks those were turkish 38's updated models of the 03. the 03 was originally chamberd in 7.65 argie the 38 is an updated version in 8mm mauser since the turkes switched instead of using boththey were used a galippoli along with german gewehr 98's in 8mm by the end of the war they had about equal numbers of each so they chose to standerise the 8mm so the 03 were rebarrled to 8mm

Kind of partial to a Swedish Mauser M-96 :cool:
But an SMLE and "Ten Rounds Rapid" would be nice :D
However a Winchester 1897 "Trench Broom", now we are talking
"Up Close and personal" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
a good Enfield No1 MkIII hands down....and I say that having shot/owned its rivals/ stablemates

imgp3963.jpg

here is my 1916 BSA made, Canadian issued one

Last edited:
Back