If You only had 1 pistol and 1 revolver to keep what would they be?

Lamarw, I agree with your choice. I think we have the same mind set. Reliable guns with easy and flexible ammo selections.

M&P 9c and S&W J Frame .38 SPL. Depending on reason I have to make this choice my semi auto might change to the M&P 9 Pro 5". If concealability no longer matters ill take that sight radius and velocity improvement any day.

If they are solely for SD/HD:

H&K USP9 (full size) w/light, laser, curb feelers and fuzzy dice
S&W 627 V Comp Performance Center (8 shot) in .357/.38

If one was for (perhaps perceived) a safer walk in the woods:
S&W 629 V Comp Performance Center in .44 (instead of that modest .357:)

B

Semiauto: CZ-75BD- I have the most ammo stored up for it, the most mags for it, and the best caliber of my semi-auto guns that I am comfortable with. I just got a 1911, but for now, the CZ-75BD wins. Honorable Mention: My makarov gets honorable mention due to it's concealability and simplicity- 27 total parts means easy repairs if needed.

Revolver: Model 19- With a 4" barrel, it definitely can be used for either carry or nightstand. It's balanced, comfortable, and great to shoot. It beats out the 6" Security Six in large part due to the barrel length, espcially since I need something for my wife to carry as well. Honorable Mention: Ruger Security Six, for reliability.

Easy for the auto: any GOOD 1911, preferably a "Commander" length barreled one. My current flame is a Ruger SR1911, with extra fitted barrel/slides in 9mm, .38 Super and .22 lr., making it a true, 4-caliber 1911. It's about as useful a gun as you can imagine.

The revolver is a little more difficult. Picking from what I own, I'd go with a Ruger Flat Top .44 Special with that most useful of all barrel lengths: the 4-5/8". I have two of them, but for serious, long term use in all conditions, I'd pick the SS version. Loaded for bear, it'll push a 240 gr LSWC to 1200 fps, or throttled down for practice to 750, it's my pick for all around use.

While I do own a cpl .44 Magnums: a Ruger with a 6-1/2" barrel and a S&W Classic with a 6-1/2" tube, neither is good for day in day out carry while mounted on any sort of conveyance. Those big .44's allow speeds up to 1500 fps, but are just too big for comfort...and at 67 years old, comfort is what it's all about.

HTH's Rod

Last edited:
Officers Model Special & 92FS. If you add one rifle: 1895 Chilean contract Mauser. You really have to try to miss with any of them & they're all stone-cold reliable.

Oh yeah, I also want to keep several pounds of HP-38/ W231, H4350, and plenty of brass, bullets, and primers!

Funnel

Simple...

attachment.php

and

attachment.php

One for the field and one for the road.

Deaf

Back