If You only had 1 pistol and 1 revolver to keep what would they be?

Sig Trailside (.22 auto) accurate, fun for plinking and small game.

Ruger Redhawk 7.5 (.44 mag) bedside, can handgun hunt with it.

I generally hate these kinds of questions.....

But, I'll play....

1 pistol and 1 revolver to "keep" for home defense and personal defense?

Ok, first, "keep" means something from the collection I currently own. AND, "keep" also implies that I would be getting rid of the rest of my collection (NOT a happy thought)

Second, where do you make the distinction between "home" and "personal" defense?

Third, "keep for defense", to me, means not doing any other kind of shooting (other than practice).

That being said (and assuming I am understanding your question correctly), what I would keep is
Pistol: My father's Colt Govt model .45ACP (inherited in 2003)
Revolver: Colt Agent .38spl

While I would prefer to keep my Browning BDA .45 over a 1911 for "social" work (it carries better), I choose to keep the gun with family history over the rest.

As to the Agent, its nice, small, light, pocket gun (and the only revolver I have in that class), since you specified "defense". Now, if the question was which revolver I would keep, for ALL uses, if I could only keep one, then my choice would be different. And it would be a tough choice, between 4 guns, two DA and two SA. Rimfire (allowing a centerfire pistol for defense) I would have to choose between a S&W model 17 and a Ruger Super Single Six. After a bit of reflection, I would keep the Ruger, as the S&W is worth more to someone else.

Centerfire, it would be a tossup between a S&W Model 28, and a Ruger Blackhawk (convertible) in .45 caliber (.45 Colt cylinder in the gun). The Smith, because it will handle full .357 Mag loads, my Father had one (and while I don't have his gun, I have one just like his, and because I love N frames when concealed/defensive carry is off the table.

The Blackhawk? Because its fun, accurate, capable of shooting loads matching the .44 Magnum, and in a real pinch, can shoot the same ammo as the Govt model which I'm "keeping" for defense.

It would be a tough call, for me. Which is the main reason I hate the which one to keep questions. Now, which one I would choose for ...is a different question, one which lets me keep my other guns, for when I choose differently.:D

This is very tough.....For my needs in and out of the woods, I would keep my 1911 in its Super Carry Pro (commander size). A S&W 6" 629 44 mag. Both guns would work for all purposes. The 1911 makes a good trail gun and the 629 will take anything in North America hunting and could be pressed into a CCW or trail gun with 44 special. Both ammo and reloading componets are plentiful. Both are proven over the years as being a excellent caliber. Both are very portable and I can carry both on the hip or in a shoulder rig and bandoleer holster.

44magnet.jpg

supercarrynet.jpg

Last edited:
A Colt Government Model and a Smith & Wesson Model 25.

I would really try to sneak my Browning .22 auto in there too, thouugh :)

Only one semi auto pistol and one revolver? I would keep a Glock 22 .40 cal and a S&W Model 19 .357. Just my thoughts.

Two? Say it isn't so. But, if so, I'd keep my SIG 1911 auto chambered in .45 ACP and my Ruger Super Single Six sa revolver (having the auxilary .22 Magnum cylinder along with the .22 LR cylinder).

it is a tough decision, but possibly these two. The second picture is the runner-ups.

The revolver is a S&W Model 25 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt. The pistol is a Sig Sauer P220 in .45ACP.

The runner-up revolver is a S&W 686 in 357 Magnum. The runner-up is a Sig P22O ST also in .45ACP.

Did I make the right choice? :confused:

Attachments

• 100_2489.jpg
    100_2489.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_2490.jpg
    100_2490.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 22
Back