If you had $300 to spend...

Rural King just sent out an email special for a SCCY CPX-2 priced at $174.93.
Also a Ruger Security-9 for $299.98.
Both good choices for the purpose mentioned by the OP

For a beater, . . . truck gun, . . . you'll be hard pressed to find anything that beats an old Ruger P85.

Tank tough, . . . shoots every time, . . . eats anything you offer it, . . . needs to be cleaned every sometime and a half, . . . 15 rd capacity.

And, . . . it ain't purteee enough for anyone to want to steal it.

Look into it, . . . bunches available on gunbroker.com

May God bless,
Dwight

I did. I bought a S&W SD9. Flat dark earth, black slide, paid $241 shipped and bought extra mags at $20 each. Trigger is much better now with Apex trigger spring kit.

Local place has a section in their case where they put all the used .40 S&W guns. I hate to think of what they gave as trade in value, because those are pretty darn low.

For a beater, . . . truck gun, . . . you'll be hard pressed to find anything that beats an old Ruger P85.

Tank tough, . . . shoots every time, . . . eats anything you offer it, . . . needs to be cleaned every sometime and a half, . . . 15 rd capacity.

And, . . . it ain't purteee enough for anyone to want to steal it.

Look into it, . . . bunches available on gunbroker.com

May God bless,
Dwight
https://ruger.com/P85Recall/index.html

I know but you mentioned 'old'...

I would choose a used smith and wesson 659: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/822841603

Won't rust. Built like a tank and will last forever. Prone to scratching, but who cares if its just a truck gun. Magazines are easy to find and cheap. You can find parts for it, but it just won't break. It's the best gun you can possibly purchase for $300.

The second best gun you can get for under $300 is an old Ruger P89. Also stainless steel built like a tank and will last forever.

I would probably go used, the choices are many, but if I was buying new, it would be the SAR CM9 Gen 2, which can be had for $250 or so. GREAT gun if it was $400, fantastic gun at $250. Kind of a CZ P07 clone. I have both. the CM9 and a custom shop P07, and except for the trigger being a lot better on the CZ, I like the SAR better!

If it's solely for vehicular use with range days included, I'd go with a used Glock 17 or 19, or 22/23 if you like the bigger bore. They're useful, accurate, trouble free and Glock will rebuild them if you go to one of their Glock shootfests...FOR FREE!

Another good choice seldom seen is a Bersa in their duty size offering. A friend gave one to me, a .40 Thunder Pro that's as well built as my Sigs. No kidding. With night sights, it's a hellofa gun for your purposes. GB has them at discounted $ that'll fit your budget. Rod

When threads like this come up, the recommendations tend to be the guns the posters chose and own or have owned. They chose them because they felt they were the best choice but have little or no knowledge of other brands. If their brand of choice costs more than the thread's limit, they always suggest to buy the gun they chose used. Since the great majority of guns made are very reliable, the choices mentioned will do a good job and everyone is happy (other than people who don't know how to handle, clean and operate a gun-it's amazing how the younger folks can do anything with a smartphone or computer and can't clean or load a handgun).

I like it when people respond by mentioning guns they have actually owned, and when it is also within the price parameters given by the OP. There's nothing quite like writing from one's actual experience, right?

About a year ago at gun auction near me, they had 50+ Police trade in Beretta 92FS pistols. All holster worn, some badly, but they auctioned off at $190 to $290. I know the auctioneer, so he let me field strip 10 or 12 of them and they all looked nice inside. That's what I would get if I needed a 9mm "truck gun".

Get yourself a used quality gun like a G19 or Beretta 92fs. Plenty of parts, accesories and mags available everywhere. I'd stay away from crappy cheap guns.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I'd save it, add to it, and buy a Sig.
I picked up a used P226 in cosmetically rough, but mechanically sound condition, for $15 more.

Can not say it enough, used guns are fantastic deals. With patience and a little searching, $300 will get you a CZ 75, Beretta 92, a S&W 3rd Gen, or yes, even a Sig P series. And that's not scratching what you can find for a little less- like a Daewoo DP51 for example. I got mine for about $250.

I own enough guns. No more niches to fill within my aresonal. Spend $300 ? For me that would be buy lead for handloading !

Back