If you had $300 to spend...

Another vote for Canik (my favorite is the SF) their new "The One" series puts them under $300 for a reliable, accurate, and amazing trigger.

For $300, I'd also strongly consider a used pistol.

I've seen police trade-in S&W M&Ps and surplus CZ-75s in the $300-$325 range, and they are honestly nicer pistols than most of the new options in that range.

For $300, look at the used market: M&P, Walther, etc. A used, first generation M&P is an AMAZING deal.

But if you can wait a few weeks and spend a bit more, you'll get into wide open spaces in the used market at around $500 and buy almost anything you want.

What semi-automatic 9mm would you choose and why? Looking for a new "truck gun" and don't want to spend a ton. Thanks for your perspective!

I picked up a Taurus G2C for "testing". To try something new.

So far it's holding up well. Pushing 400 rounds, with one light strike failure with one of my own handloads, which I am not counting against the gun. I intend to run this beast hard, because "Euuu, Taurus!", folks would discount it unless you have things documented.

The adjustable rear sight sucks, and I'll probably change that out. And nothing else.

Beyond that, the only cheap 9mm I have experience with is the Kel Tec PF9, which I don't particularly want to get again.

Despite my recent experience with a Taurus G2, for a full $300, I would go for a S&W M&P that fits into that price category. Might be a used one, but I think the quality/features of the M&P series outweighs the SD series.

I'd get an SD9 or a Creed. I like Glocks, but finding one used in 9mm, which I would prefer, for $300 or less isn't that common. I've also had mixed luck with law enforcement trades. Sometimes not being shot or used much isn't a good thing if routine maintenance wasn't kept up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

What semi-automatic 9mm would you choose and why? Looking for a new "truck gun" and don't want to spend a ton. Thanks for your perspective!
Ruger Security 9 for less than $300 or M&P9 2.0 4" barrel compact. $369 (missed the sale) at Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore. Both are Glock19-size.

I'm not gonna suggest "save & get something better" because it's a "truck gun". Only a moron would leave an expensive gun in their vehicle for that purpose. Second, I'm not going to recommend a Hi-Point because the price point is above $200 and it is a relatively low capacity firearm.

Go with the Wisdom of the Crowd . . . LE Glock 17 trade-in OR SD9VE

Whichever pistol you decide to buy that is NIB at $300, consider the level of service you will get from the manufacturer should you need it. Also the cost in ammo to re-qualify it for truck duty should it have to be repaired.

For new I'd go smith or ruger, for used, police trade in glock. Walther is good too I just have no experience with their service (which might be a good thing).

S&W M&P 2.0, Walther, I'd probably check out the used market on the various forums and check out Police trade in Glock deals advertised from many different sources

I normally avoid these kinds of posts, but I think others have missed my favorite standard 9mm....the Springfield XD9 can be had for $290 shipped to FFL online.

This is an accurate, easy to shoot 9mm with some safety advantages over Glock.

For about $280 you could buy a GSG 1911 22. I've seen them at Sportsman's Warehouse as well as Bud's. It's a clone of the 1911 inn . 22 and is the same feel as the original. It's addicting, going out and shooting this thing with ammo that costs much less than reloading .45s.

For about $280 you could buy a GSG 1911 22. I've seen them at Sportsman's Warehouse as well as Bud's. It's a clone of the 1911 inn . 22 and is the same feel as the original. It's addicting, going out and shooting this thing with ammo that costs much less than reloading .45s.
Looking for a new "truck gun" and don't want to spend a ton.

I guess you could use a full sized 1911 chambered in 22LR as a 'truck gun', but kinda think it's better as a 'range gun'..

Back