I wonder if this guy will still be a cop, after the DNC

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is really hard to get the whole story from the little clip. Did she receive repeated warnings and more gentle prodding to step back multiple times and keep coming forward? Was she creating a dangerous situation?

It is really hard to get the whole story from the little clip. Did she receive repeated warnings and more gentle prodding to step back multiple times and keep coming forward?

oh I'm sorry. The the big cop couldn't push the little girl out of the way. He had to hit her with his big stick.

Was she creating a dangerous situation?

I forgot. In the new America you can't speak your mind and you lost the right to protest. It creates a dangerous situation. Like the protesters might be speaking the truth.

Notice how they grabbed her after she was being interviewed. If she had done anything wrong after the cop hit her. They would have arrested her while she was on the ground. Not while she was giving an interview.

Also notice all the other LEO'S they are in a straight line. The cop lounged foward a few steps in front of the other officers to hit the little girl.

Excessive anyway you look at it.

oh I'm sorry. The the big cop couldn't push the little girl out of the way. He had to hit her with his big stick.
So cops should only be allowed to become forceful with people their size or larger? Small people and women should be immune from the consequences of their actions? The way he used his baton is standard procedure.
I forgot. In the new America you can't speak your mind and you lost the right to protest
Big, big difference between protesting and assualting. You have no idea what she was doing outside those few seconds.

It is standard procedure here in Oregon for protesters to run up and throw rocks at cops in formation then turn on the camera right afterwards and stand motionless while being taken down to appear as if they had just been standing there the whole time.

i dont know, it looked like a setup to me. You see the situation is getting tense, then the camera moves to her and you hear her say "do it again!".....he does it again and she hits the ground. She lays there like shes hurt bad, and then you see her up and talking later like shes fine. I dont know why they grab her after that........but if a policeman is saying "MOVE BACK", and youre standing there in front of them saying "DO IT AGAIN"......well youre asking for it

I think that she may have taken a dive. And it didn't look like she hit
the ground that hard, but she got comfortable down there didn't she?

The police were asking her to "Back it up" and not "Stop protesting".
The police have to secure the area given terrorism fears, assassination
attempts, so on.

There are two sides of the story. If the policeman can be shown to have
used excessive force, there's no problem with disciplining him. But, the
video clip only presents one side of the story.

So cops should only be allowed to become forceful with people their size or larger? Small people and women should be immune from the consequences of their actions? The way he used his baton is standard procedure.

No women can be dangerous also. But this one wasn't. and his use was excessive. Maybe he wanted to show the other LEO's how it's done. I mean he was atleast a few feet infront of the other LEO's.

Big, big difference between protesting and assualting. You have no idea what she was doing outside those few seconds.

If she did something wrong they would have arrested her when she was on the ground , Not minutes later when she is standing and giving an interview.

It is standard procedure here in Oregon for protesters to run up and throw rocks at cops in formation then turn on the camera right afterwards and stand motionless while being taken down to appear as if they had just been standing there the whole time.[/

Well that didn't look like the case here.

normal_excessive_force.jpg

Notice the other officers, notice the camera guy right there. Notice how the other officers are back in a line and the only one not is the Cop who hit the little girl.

divemedic said:
I am gonna withhold judgment here. You cannot see what happened before the force was used.

Me too.

You have to go about it like a prosecutor. You have to talk to witnesses,
and get statements from the other policemen.

And you have to consider the effect of suggestive captions before and
after the clip, and you have to consider the possibility of creative editing.
For example, perhaps the woman was arrested before she was
knocked down but perhaps through the magic of creative editing it seems
that the policeman bore a personal grudge for the woman for some unexplained
reason.

Look up code pink they're pretty wacky. She may have taken a dive. The interesting thing here is the cop used a defensive push move to back her off and her neck is at his shoulder level. He may have practiced this move plenty on a 6' mail in a red man suit and just performed the move as he practiced it.

It is hart to determine intent form this short clip. did he intend to push her back or strike her in the throat? I dunno.

Does anybody here remember when STOP! meant stop and GET BACK! meant get back.

A peaceful protest is a peaceful protest, when riot cops move in, it is a riot (according to whomever ordered the cops into the crowd) This lady was rioting, I don't feel too bad for her.

I am gonna withhold judgment here. You cannot see what happened before the force was used.

Yep, badge gets the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

I love these clips because they're just that clipped from a longer video which might show the context.

You know how they say a picture is worth a thousand words?

Yeah, this would be the exception to that.

I'll agree that the clip, taken at face value, looks bad. But I'd need to hear a lot more story to put it in context before passing judgment. I will say that, call me crazy, but the way she's grabbed and hauled off at the end while talking to press actually strikes me as shadier than the first use of force against her. But then, that part of the clip is even shorter, and thus even more devoid of context.

Yep, badge gets the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

I love these clips because they're just that clipped from a longer video which might show the context.

Oh, I've seen far too much from cops for the badge to earn any sort of benefit of the doubt...at least that beyond what I give to the average schmuck on the street. Still, assuming the cops are in the wrong is just as fallacious as assuming they're in the right. But even by schmuck-on-the-street standards, that video just doesn't show much.

Three questions:

What is the long, pointy thing in her hands?

Did she grab at the officers rifle?

How did the cameraman just happen to be there at exactly the right time?

1) No clue, if it was a weapon, the police officer would have taken it instead of just leave it there.

2) The officer did not have a rifle, he was holding a "stick". (somebody will undoubtedly chime in with the correct name baton? nightstick?)

3) There was a crowd protesting at the DNC there are cameramen everywhere.

that's awesome

they spliced together 5 seconds of video and try to pass it off as the entirety of the important information.

i see this crap way too often. If the officer had truly done something wrong then they would have shown you the whole video.

This is just propaganda, literally "produced by" Liz Nayadley

From where I sit, it's a piece of bulls*** video.

A longer version of the video can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb7bqnHm8nM

It appears, from the clip, a right-wing religious protester was being shouted down. Off camera something happens for police to arrest a black man. We see him arrested while the crowd shouts "let him go". He is moved inside a line of mounted police trying to keep people back. He's apparently the person in the "police" golf cart when the woman protester is struck.
  • You don't see what transpired between her and the cop just prior to his striking her.
  • Just before being hit, she says F***, do it again.
  • He does it again, properly from what I can see on the clip. It appears he strikes her at collarbone level, not the throat.
  • She takes a dive - she may have lost her footing but a forceful strike to the upper body at shoulder height is hardly disabling as it appears here.
  • There is a significant "cut" in the video between her going down and her arrest. She may have been told to leave the area and failed to do so.
  • The officer appears to be ahead of the line of officers, but we only see those to his left. After she's down, you note the other officers have moved forward. It's obvious they were trying to clear space for the arrestee to be transported.
  • When police give the order to move back and protesters fail to do so, SOP is to move forward with batons chest high as the officer had his. At about 4 ft the baton is thrust outward to clue the people in that you'll force them to move. Occassional contact is made when protesters step forward into the batons at full extention. Officers then generally shove the person back.
  • . My belief is she was pushed back with a baton already at arm's length (the cop steps forward). She then stepped forward and told the cop to do it again and he did. Too bad for her. Don't ask for something you don't want to receive from a cop.

The batons police use in these cases are the 36-inch "riot baton". The officer's use of the baton is correct and per training doctrine.

Complaints have been lodged with Denver PD's I/A over the incident. DPD says it'll investigate and has asked for copies of the tapes (hopefully the full unedited versions still exist). I suspect the officer will be verbally warned to stay in formation, not let himself be goaded and to be mindful of the cameras all around.

With only the information shown by the video, I'm ok with the reaction. If she's daring him ("Do it again!") and still refusing to comply with whatever the police need to get done there, he was spot on to use a bit of force.

As someone mentioned, this was a defensive push. He didn't swing his baton one handed and strike her with it like a club. He simply used it to push her back. I know if I was a cop I'd rather push people back with a baton, since an open hand push might get recorded and youtube'd as a "Policeman gropes harmless protester" video. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back