I Want To Buy A 10MM

Eddiejoe

Good morning!
So, with two piles of bear scat within 50 yards of my house, I think it's worth a look at 10MM.
when walking the property (with and without dogs), I normally carry a Smith Model 28 in .357, or a high-capacity 9mm. While the Smith should be enough for the black bear I might encounter in NE Arizona, I would feel more comfortable with larger capacity.
Another issue with the Smith is weight.

I realize that 10MM has stout recoil, and the polymer frame won't help with that, but it will weigh less than a steel frame pistol.
This will not be used for concealed carry, so full-size is the way I want to go.
I have no brand preference, and while adjustable sights might be nice, I'm not sure I'll need them.
I'd like to stay under $800, but might go a bit higher if I had to.

EAA Hunter is a heavy longslide 10mm with decent capacity and weight to soak up recoil. Glock 40 is a polymer longslide that will take a red dot and has 40 cal conversion barrels available. Springfield XDm is another polymer gun that you can get a 40 barrel for(practice). The XDm is my choice,with a PRP trigger kit,stainless steel guide rod and 15 plus one capacity. Love shooting it. The big frame distributes recoil nicely and the gun is wonderfully accurate.

I've had great experiences with Springfield Armory. I'll have to go handle the XDM. I have two XDs in 9mm that I like very much.
I've heard of EAA, but I think the weight might be an issue.

Just remember, the company you are going to buy "bear" 10mm also has 9mm "bear" loads for "black bear and even grizzly."

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=388
or Underwood here:
https://www.underwoodammo.com/9mm-luger-p-147-grain-hard-cast-flat-nose.html

So if it helps, Buffalo Bore has a +P 147gr 9mm. All 147gr 9mm is flat point and meplat shape doesn't matter in the small handgun sizes. Being hard cast, makes one ask if any handgun copper jacketed FMJ deforms on hunted targets (not really, no it doesn't).

But it gets more interesting. A solid copper bullet like the Lehigh all copper bullets is going to do whatever we think hard cast brings too and probably better. And this is why Underwood calls their ammo loaded with Lehigh copper bullets hunting rounds. Even Underwood .380 has a "hunting" round label.

If you are feeling 357 is underwhelming for a bear, it isn't irrelevant to talk about your worries and what you expect to get in 10mm.

And in the end, bear spray really is the answer for bear protection.

Last edited:
Kimber has a couple of 5 inch 1911s. Do know that with the 1911, some will engage the slide stop prematurely with HOT loads. The EAA long slide sounds like a very good option with the ability to carry it double action ready. Have you considered a Ruger GP100 in 10mm??? I can understand not wanting to carry the N frame but a good GP100 close to K frame size might be a very reliable and size appropriate solution to pack around with less weight than the 28 N frame. If a bear gets on you an auto might jam at touch distances. Something nobody talks about when promoting 10mm for bear protection.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...R&ru=/videos/search?q=gp+100+10mm&FORM=HDRSC3

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...5CBC6ED541A1AC4DBB0A5CB&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Federal just announced this month their first HST round for 357mag in a 154gr bullet. I think we all missed this release. I don't see it talked about. Can't find FPS, but I'll guarantee it's not nuclear 357mag FPS level.

I realize that 10MM has stout recoil, and the polymer frame won't help with that, but it will weigh less than a steel frame pistol.
Yes, polymer pistols are lighter than their steel equivalents, and the 10mm's recoil is only "stout" :rolleyes: if (and we're assuming here you mean REAL 10mm ammo, not the overpriced, diluted, wannabe stuff):

(a) you're not wearing your Big-Boy pants; or ...

(b) you fail to "train up" to the particular brand of real 10mm ammo you plan on carrying into Bear Country by not practicing enough with 10mm ammo or handloads having the same energy level (which is why reloading for the 10mm is economical and immensely practical); or ...

(c) both (a) and (b).

This will not be used for concealed carry, so full-size is the way I want to go. I have no brand preference, and while adjustable sights might be nice, I'm not sure I'll need them. I'd like to stay under $800, but might go a bit higher if I had to.
Without concealment worries, it sounds like a longslide (6.2") Gen4 Glock 40 is indicated.

Still offers 15+1 capacity, but with a longer (iron) sight radius, the option of MOS capability for a micro-RDS if you develop in that direction, and the longer tube will impart a velocity boost for enhanced impact ballistics. I have one and it's lighter than an all-steel Tanfoglio Hunter or 1911 longslide (6"+) would be.

Best carry rig for a G40 will be a center-chest holster and there are several good ones on the market. (Two minutes of Google-fu will find them for you).

A chest holster keeps your hands free while strollin' the boonies, but positions the weapon for quick and immediate access should a bad bold bruin 'round the trail in your direction.

You can thank me later.

:cool:

I've been fascinated with the 10mm since reading Col Jeff Cooper's writing about them.

1. I very much like 1911 pistols.
2. I heard the 10mm abuses 1911 pistols. (This is not entirely true, I've found out.)
3. I don't particularly like Glock pistols.

So I bought a 10mm Glock 20SF (short frame).

I mean what could be better for me than a cartridge that abuses pistols being fired in a pistol I don't really care if it gets abused?

So far I very much like the combination.

I had never fired a 10mm until I bought the Glock. I don't think you'll have a problem with recoil.

However: Just the way the universe works, about the third or fourth time I had the Glock 20 at the range I ran into a guy with a new Remington long slide 1911 style pistol in 10mm.

We compared notes and shot each others guns.

He really liked the high capacity of the Glock, I really liked the long slide for the longer sight radius and the way it soaked up recoil.

I'm afraid we both walked away with a little buyers' remorse thinking the long slide Glock 40 set up for optical sights might have been a better choice for each of us. The grass is always greener.

Good luck.

And in the end, bear spray really is the answer for bear protection.

"In the end", having both the spray and the pistol is the right answer for protection from a bear attack. But, if having to choose between a spray or a pistol, spray is the wrong answer for me.

I'll have to go handle the XDM. I have two XDs in 9mm that I like very much.

When it comes to striker-fired pistols, I insist on having a manual safety. Most Springfield striker-fired pistols at least come with grip safeties, a minimal requirement for me.

10mm is a super cool round, by all means get one if you want one. Personally I would go with the underwood 9mm Lehigh extreme penetrators. around $30 for 20... but for something that would be infrequently used, $60 on ammo is cheaper than $500 on a new pistol.

Standard https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022569973?pid=968741
+P https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019462466?pid=174257

Per TNOUTDOORS9 these are the hammer of Thor in 9mm. He had Two 32in gell block pass throughs with this ammo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYLbmSp5itA

And it is available in 10mm should you so choose. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018747325?pid=423983

Also bear spray. If you can have only 1, take the firearm. If you can have both, have both. However keep in mind, if you use the bear spray, you will most likely get some of it as well and may very well disorient yourself, although to a lesser degree than the bear. With that said, you can keep on fighting if your pepper sprayed, and so can the bear.

Last edited:
I realize that 10MM has stout recoil, and the polymer frame won't help with that, but it will weigh less than a steel frame

The plastic frames flex with recoil much like a recoil pad on a rifle or shotgun and actually have less felt recoil than a steel handgun. Especially with a double stack and a wider grip. My G20 and G29 were much more comfortable to shoot than my 1911's. Even with Double Tap 200 gr hardcast loads at 1300 fps. 10mm isn't nearly as bad as 357 from a comparable size and weight gun.

To me Glock is the way to go. I started with a G20, then added a smaller G29. I shot the G29 equally well and it would take the 15 round mags from my G20, so I didn't see the point of having both, the G20 went down the road.

I am considering getting a full-sized 10mm as well. My first attempt with a full-sized polymer Tanfoglio did not go well, so the pistol went away.
- Revolvers and 1911 versions are out, as I want capacity as well as power.
- Springfield recently discontinued their full-sized Xd-m models in 10mm, and now only offer two 3.8" barreled models and a 1911. Not interested.
- All Glocks are out as well. The ergos don't work for me (and, IMHO, they're fugly as sin).

What I am considering...
- I am taking a hard look at the new S&W M&P in 10mm. I am impressed with what I have seen and read so far but will give it a bit so any bugs can be worked out.
- I am also looking at a different model from Tanfoglio, but the aspect of needing service on the gun has me a bit apprehensive on that one. Smith would be so much easier to deal with if needed.
- CZ USA just discontinued their CZ97 in 45 auto. Could they be planning a 10mm pistol (finally)? If they announced this, I would wait for one.
- I am wondering if Ruger will respond to the new M&P. I don't know if their Ruger American pistol frame is strong enough to handle full powered 10mm rounds, but if they were to go this direction, I might take a wait-and-see approach.

@CNJ I have an M&P 9mm brand new in the case I still haven't shot yet. I'll try that out and look at the 10MM version too! Thanks for the reminder!

To Shadow's comment above, no matter how fast, copper jacket FMJ in 380, 9mm, 40, 45, and 10mm are going to fall within each other, probably up to 32".

An all copper Lehigh 9mm went through two 32" blocks.

Even in 10mm hay day of people thinking all 10mm was load nuclear (it wasn't--today's commercial Underwood is more available and hot), 10mm could never do what that 9mm copper round did.

Bullet is everything today. FPS almost is that last important thing. Look at the 800FPS Micro 150gr HST in 9mm. It's the hammer of Thor in jacketed hollow points.

If you want to get a 10mm because you want to get a 10mm, get a 10mm.

Don't get a 10mm because you don't think the .357 Mag isn't enough for black bear. It is, if YOU are. And, if YOU aren't, a 10mm won't change that.

I'm sorry to see that Springfield stopped production of the 5" 10mm XDm. I'm a 1911 fanboy but when I tried my son's XDm I was very impressed. The trigger was head and shoulders above a Glock and it didn't feel blocky in my hand. Shot like a dream and empty Buffalo Bore brass didn't go into low Earth orbit as it does in 10mm 1911s.

He carries it during his hunting, hiking, and mountain biking expeditions in the mountains around Kalispell, MT.

YR0Xihl.gif

Back