I want SMALLEST most RELIABLE .380?

Jody Hudson

I would love to have a very small .380 that is reliable. I know there are several out there. I have had Walthers (unreliable) and Sigs (not accurate enough) and both are WAY too large and heavy by today's standards.

I love my Makarov and my TPH .22. I would love something nearly as small as the TPH and as reliable and accurate as the Makarov. However, Quick-Shock still does not make ammo in 9x18.

I want a .380 because of the fabulous Quick-Shock ammo.

I seek advice and choices based on your experiences...

The Kahr MK9 isn't a .380, it's a 9mm. But it's smaller than either the PPK or Sig 232. Mines accurate too.

M1911

My son has the Kahr. It's a great pistol and heavy as a brick. There must be another choice... I hope.

Thanks though, if weight is not a consideration the Kahr is a great choice for size and power.

Jody

AMT Backup

The AMT backup is a small .380. I don't know if I'd trust my life to any AMT product, however, I know a few people tht carry them. I wouldn't.

Pilot

I picked up the current version of the AMT Backup .380 last week and it would not even reliably load hardball!!!! I loved it but it didn't even come close to working! :(

I've carried a PPK/S in the past, thought it was too big and too heavy for the payload it delivered. I had reliability problems with it also and quit carrying one several years ago. I also owned a AMT Backup for a minute and got rid of it because I didn't find it at all reliable. My current pocket gun is a Colt Pony .380 Pocketlite. I like the size and weight and magazines have been easy to find. The 1911 is one of my favorite styles of pistol but personally don't feel comfortable with a cocked and locked handgun loose in my front pocket. The Pony is D/A for every shot and I feel more comfortable with this system for my purpose. I've had it a couple of years and have good luck with function using ball and Winchester hollowpoints. I am sending the gun to Scott, McDougal, and Associates for their "Deep Cover" treatment this year. I don't particularly like the round but having the Colt in my pocket would do me more good than the .45 Commander back home in my safe. I carry better most of the time but summer days here can run 110-115 degrees. Clothing styles for our summer weather doesn't offer a lot of cover.

Good Luck,
Marvin
CA

I picked up a Colt Mustang Pocketlite a few weeks ago and was pretty impressed with its accuracy from some LVE ammo that I had - haven't tried any of the premium stuff, but it fits the bill of small and reliable. Good choice if you don't mind carrying C&L.

Colt Government Model. Also the CZ 24 pistol if you can find one. I have two that are small, light, all steel, and never have skipped a beat. Both of these are locked-breech designs. I do agree that there are many more reliable 9mm's out there that are as small or smaller than the reliable 380's out there. I've also got a Tanfoglio GT380 that is very reliable and accurate if a little weird looking.

Sig inaccurate?

Jody Hudson wrote:
>As I mentioned...
>Walther not reliable
>Sig not accurate enough
>and Beretta too large

Perhaps I have the priorities in a pocket 380 all screwed up here; my thought was that a person was either looking for concealability (i.e. small) or trading some size for accuracy and reliability...

First off, having fired several itterations of the 230/232 I think accuracy is certainly not a proble mwith these pistols at any reasonable range for a 380 (say 25'?), every one I have ever fired could certainly hit a pie-plate with both eyes open using double action...

Now as to its size and weight, maybe that would scotch the Sigs... But you CERTAINLY are not going to find anything smaller with appreciably MORE accuracy - what are you thinking?

Now maybe I just dont understand...

Not that I am suggesting that you look at Sig necessarily, but if a Walther is too unreliable (debateable)I think that you are going to have to sacrifice either size or accuracy in order to bring the quality level up.

Are you sure you want a .380?

Maybe you should be looking at the tiny .32's ala seecamp and its ilk.

J.T.

as usual, FWIW, YMMV, IMHO, and all that...

I like the PPK (I chose it over the 232 for the size, american mag release, and manual safety). I'd also give serious consideration to the Colt Mustang, though I've never had any first hand experience. I think the Sig and Beretta are too large.

Jody,
Good to hear from you again. :)
I would second the notion of getting the .380ACP barrel for your Makarov. In addition, you would have to get, or find someone who has, the barrel press. If not, Federal Arms sells both, and I believe that you might be able to find it at makarov.com. ( I would hope that you have the link bookmarked ;) ) This would be the least expensive solution to your delema. I hope this information is helpful to you.

I am certainly appreciating this input folks. I love my Makarov and TPH but I just know there is something I'm overlooking. It could well be the Colts or the Autauga (sp).

If Triton would just make the Quick-Shok in .32 or 9x18 It would be easier. It's just that I favor the Quick-Shok over all other ammo.

I'm all set to check out the Colts and Autauga (gotta go look to see how that is spelled again).

North American Arms is about to come out with their .380. It's pretty much guaranteed to be exceptional (based on the company's reputation for quality). I like my Walther PPK/S very much, but only after it was "cleaned up". I know a great PPK (among other things) expert if anyone would like to know.

Back