I want one more fun 22lr . . .

I'm going to suggest ... the S&W model 617 - 10 shot - Target Revolver

You don't seem to have a Target revolver and the model 617 is a fine one ...
Have a Target Trigger job done by Clark Custom Guns , put on it ... and when you go shooting ... it will put a Smile on your Face and a Song in your Heart ...
Gary

"cdoc42 yeah: those old winchester 22's were hard to beat. my mothers 80+ year old pump action 22 out shoots my new ruger american bolt 22 with every ammo i've tested in them both."

You got it, Bush. And my experience includes my failure as a youngster to clean my Model 69A even as remotely as I should have!!!

others

For a pure range/fun .22, seems like the various replica rifles like the stg-45 or the Mosin, or even a micro 1911 would be a hoot. There is also a .22 scout rifle with a straight-pull bolt. Another fun and classy straight pull would be the Browning T-bolt.

I read there is a .22 gatling......for lots of cash.

Get something NICE instead of cute or gimmicky.
A good bolt action rifle is never obsolete, but I am shooting mostly pistols these days.
I really like my Nelson Conversion (on the frame of my least often used .45) for 1911ish practice, but I get better accuracy from my S&W M41. My elderly High Standard is probably even more accurate but they are finicky as to magazine choice and adjustment.

Winchester model 52 also needs a solid mention. When I was a kid I learned to thread the hole of fender washers with one. Phenomenal guns

adult .22

Well yeah, the Mosin, STG are indeed gimmicky, but I suspect still fun if not all that practical. While I'm at it, I will declare that all serious shooters need a good .22, really, two good .22's, rifle and handgun. I call those guns "adult .22's". The .22lr is still the best deal shot for shot in ammo, allowing for quiet, affordable practice.

What's an adult .22? Good trigger, good sights, and will last a couple of lifetimes. On the rifle, full size stock and weight to approach the feel of a centerfire sporter. Mine is (are) a Ruger 77/22 and a Ruger MkII standard 4" model. The 77/22 is w/o question the firearm that I have shot the most in my assortment, mechanically reliable and with a tweak....good trigger. Add a Leupold rimfire scope, and all the boxes are checked for a rifle.

The MKII is a bit of a flyweight and ideally a HB model would likely better suit. But my standard model came with such a wonderful trigger right from the start that I've kept it all these years. Feeds and functions with nearly any ammo, and more accurate than I am.

Regrettably the 10/22 trigger is deplorable with out a lot of work these days. In it's common carbine version, a bit of a flyweight also. That all can be fixed, but at additional cost. I'd mentioned the T-bolt in a previous post and have always wanted one. The Browning SA22 is a candidate but again a bit of a lightweight. I've got a Savage MkII HB that might qualify, but the magazines are junk and it is not reliable. The old Remington Fieldmaster pump is adult sized, but again, the trigger leaves alot to be desired. The Henry levers are a hoot, acceptable triggers, can be scoped, but I wish they were a pound heavier. Not to say any of the above are not fun rifles, they are, just not quite fully mature.:D

A CZ - I don't have one, but they get a lot of good chatter over on RFC. Also, the guys I've talked to that do have them absolutely love them.
Oh yeah baby--I'm one of them that loves them. :):)

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0989.jpg
    IMG_0989.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I like the old stuff as my state (looks like you may have similar problem) won't allow me to have modern dangerous looking tools.

Two of my favorite rifle plinkers are Remington 552 & Remington 572. Old but a lot of fun and a Marlin 60 too.

Also enjoy my Ruger Standard and any of the modern variants.

If you want to spend a few+ buck$ more, the ultimate IMO is a S&W Model 41.

To enhance your fun IMO, have plenty of mags preloaded before you get to the range. With 4 or 5+ mags ready to go I can enjoying a lot of shooting, then take a break to load them up again.

It's a great way to burn into your overstocked closet of ammo.

Whatever your choice, I'm sure you will have fun!

To enhance your fun IMO, have plenty of mags preloaded before you get to the range. With 4 or 5+ mags ready to go I can enjoying a lot of shooting, then take a break to load them up again.
I dunno--even single feeding them I find I go way too fast with 22lr in general--there's a "zone" in concentrating on technique which forces me to slow down. Gratuitous plinking of bulk cheapo ammo--that's fun, but not something I'm especially interested in.:D

Y70ueO4.jpeg

Had my MK III cut down to just over 2” and threaded. Runs my Rugged Oculus perfectly.

I have a bunch of grandkids and their friends, and I have a bunch of 22’s. Everybody reaches for the Winchester 9422 when they come to the ranch. Small, light, accurate. 2x7 Leupold scope on it. The star of the show around here.

Of course, finding one might be tough. I paid $85 for mine. Can’t do that now.

I have a bunch of grandkids and their friends, and I have a bunch of 22’s. Everybody reaches for the Winchester 9422 when they come to the ranch. Small, light, accurate. 2x7 Leupold scope on it. The star of the show around here.

Of course, finding one might be tough. I paid $85 for mine. Can’t do that now.
Holy kerpolio! I just looked that up on gunbroker and they are listed as high as 2K for a high grade! Take care of that puppy!:eek:;)

Handgun? S&W Model 17, aka K-22 Masterpiece with the 3Ts
Rifle? Remington 542 or Marlin 39a - the ability of those two (plus the revolver above) to shoot 22 S, L, LR, plus shot, subsonic, CB, etc. makes them a LOT of fun to shoot. Either of those two rifles, with their 24" barrels, and shooting subsonic will allow quiet shooting without a tax stamp for a suppressor

Last edited:
Stagpanther, I found the 9422 at a country gunsmith. He was fixing a 22 rifle I had taken apart and could not reassemble. While he was doing that, I examined the rifles he had in a corner. And there was a 9422 that was a bit beat up. I asked if I could look at it, and he said “for $85 you can have it”. I almost hurt my hand trying to whip out the checkbook. I had to refinish the stock and forearm, but it looks pretty good now. The oldest grandson has spoken for the rifle upon my demise. It’ll be in good hands.

Stagpanther, I found the 9422 at a country gunsmith. He was fixing a 22 rifle I had taken apart and could not reassemble. While he was doing that, I examined the rifles he had in a corner. And there was a 9422 that was a bit beat up. I asked if I could look at it, and he said “for $85 you can have it”. I almost hurt my hand trying to whip out the checkbook. I had to refinish the stock and forearm, but it looks pretty good now. The oldest grandson has spoken for the rifle upon my demise. It’ll be in good hands.
Very nice story, all around.:)

What Prof Young is lacking in his list is a small mouse gun, so the NAA could be a good choce, but I'd recommend he wait for the new Sentinel to come out, that's the Sidewinder with the improved sights of the Pug. In addition to that, I'd get a small autoloader like the Beretta 21a or Ruger LCP. I know the LCP .22 is sketchy with reliability, but for a range gun that's fine and there's the off chance you might get one that works really well with a certain brand of ammo.

I'm considering getting one myself.

Back