I want one more fun 22lr . . .

My "funnest" 22's have never needed expensive or fancy. I have several vintage Remington rifles that are tack drivers, and easily the most fun is a Nylon66. There's also the Marlin Model 60 which I way prefer to the 10/22 due to the tube magazines (Ruger rotary mags always fail at the wrong time for me). For pistols, I like SAA-style but it's hard to argue with a Ruger SR-22 or a Walther P-22 for sheer fun.

Walther G-22

I love my little bullpup G-22 mine has the faux Carbon Fiber stock. I put a Nikon 3-9 rimfire series on it, it also has the Walther laser.
One day it will be threaded. It's my get it out at the range and everyone wants a turn gun. It is very accurate and is not a picky eater function wise. CCI std. velocity delivers the best accuracy, Federal a close second again std. velocity and I can feed it to my old Supermatic too.

For a different experience perhaps the Kel-tec CP33 with the magazine extensions to give 50 rds per magazine. At least a different kind of fun...

I will like to try that, it really looks interesting. My favorite one is Smith & Wesson M&P, but it's at the same time the only one I own :), I shot from many of them, but only this one liked enough to buy.

If you get bitten by the accuracy bug you can easily veer off into custom 22 lr rifles that can cost as much as any other custom rifle for any other cartridge. :) Premium 22 lr ammo is much more expensive than the bulk stuff, but you're not going to get exceptional results without it.

My Winchester Model 69A is 66 years old and still shoots as accurately as my younger Anshutz target .22, depending on the cartridge each prefers. Handguns, my Ruger Mark III with a red dot beats my S&W .22 Mag (.22 LR/.22 Jet).

Ruger Charger on the way . . .

Bartered for a used Ruger Charger at the LGS yesterday. Can pic it up on Friday. Need to find a scope. Will let you know what I think.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Thumbs up on the Charger purchase. I bought mine back when the original wood stocked one came out. Put a 4X pistol scope on it. Then put a 1-4 rifle scope on it. Eventually red dots became popular and i put one of those on it -- prefer that to the other two choices as i don't have to worry about the distance of my eye from the optic. I can hit empty coke cans at 100 yards with the red dot (good enough for me). I used that bipod and pistol grip for years -- during covid i started shooting a lot more 22LR and tinkering with my firearms. Replaced the wood stock with frame from Palmetto State Armory and ordered a pistol brace from SB Tactical -- i never could have imagined how much fun the Charger is with the brace and red dot. I don't think i'll ever buy a binary trigger for the Charger but i can imagine that it would be even more fun with one -- i just don't have a use for the binary trigger. Enjoy your Charger. I also own a 10/22 so it was nice having magazines i can share.

I also have a Ruger Charger with a brace and bugbuster scope, It's fun to shoot but can be a jam-o matic with Federal bulk so I clean it often.

A Small Revolver With a 6" barrel.

I have too many 22lr guns, all semi-auto.

The NAA Hogleg has always been on my wish list.
p-793-hog-c.jpg

Does any particular aspect of shooting excite you more than others? Accuracy, plinking, volume of fire?

Maybe put together a hunting rig and get out for some varmint and small game hunting.

We love our 22s don't we . . .

This has been a fun thread. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm thinking about an AR in 22 cal but I'm not sure you can even own one in IL anymore. I have two semi auto 22 rifles and enjoy both of them. I think one of the things about a good 22 is that you can have a good time at the range and it doesn't break the bank. I lusted after a little Beretta 22 that only shot 22 shorts. Kinda rare and this one, in an action, was all glitzed up. But it went for far more than I was willing to pay.

Life is good.
Prof Young

liverty balants said:
The NAA Hogleg has always been on my wish list.
Some of the NAA pistols look interesting, but I can't make myself warm up to the lack of a trigger guard -- even on long barreled versions such as this.

And the prices are more than what I'm willing to pay for what would essentially be (for me -- YMMV) a toy.

Nah. The NAAs are worth it.
Lack of trigger guard doesn't matter, since they're single action and have hammer notches in the cylinders.
I've paid far more for other "toys", like my Martini-Henry.

Pick one up. You'll like it.
They're more fun than a staple gun and a bag of hamsters.

For me, if I were to buy a new .22 it would be a CZ bolt.

Even at that, my Marlin 39A is hands down one of the best and most fun guns I've ever shot, mine or others. That lever is glass smooth and its incredibly accurate (Mine also has Lymans sights). They made tons of them and finding one in great shape isn't hard, which also means they aren't $1k++. Whenever I go to the range, that is one that ALWAYS goes with me.

cdoc42 yeah: those old winchester 22's were hard to beat. my mothers 80+ year old pump action 22 out shoots my new ruger american bolt 22 with every ammo i've tested in them both.

I have way too much 22lr in the ammo closet. (Yeah I know you can never have too much.) I want to shoot more 22lr and want one more 22lr gun that is way fun to shoot. I already have . . .

Walter PPK 22
Heritage revolver
Mossberg Plinkster
Ruger 10/22
Henry lever
Ruger Mark III

I used to have an NAA black widow and am thinking about getting that again. I've owned 22 cal autos in almost every make and model. I've also owned a variety of 22 auto long guns . . . marlin and savage and others.

In your opinion, what is the most fun 22 to shoot. Long gun or handgun.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Given what you have, and the fact that you live in IL, I have some reservations about what you can legally own. With that said, I'll suggest the following:
1. Ruger American Rimfire - Over the last few years, I've come to appreciate a nice bolt gun. I have a couple (one standard, one Target) of these and wouldn't mind having a couple more. They use the 10/22 magazine, of which you probably already have a couple on hand.
2. A CZ - I don't have one, but they get a lot of good chatter over on RFC. Also, the guys I've talked to that do have them absolutely love them.
3. Marlin Model 60 - I need to get to work on restoring mine, but these are also very popular. And I suspect the tube barrel keeps it off the Naughty List in IL.

Back