I want one more fun 22lr . . .

Prof Young

I have way too much 22lr in the ammo closet. (Yeah I know you can never have too much.) I want to shoot more 22lr and want one more 22lr gun that is way fun to shoot. I already have . . .

Walter PPK 22
Heritage revolver
Mossberg Plinkster
Ruger 10/22
Henry lever
Ruger Mark III

I used to have an NAA black widow and am thinking about getting that again. I've owned 22 cal autos in almost every make and model. I've also owned a variety of 22 auto long guns . . . marlin and savage and others.

In your opinion, what is the most fun 22 to shoot. Long gun or handgun.

Life is good.
Prof Young

You might already have one of the most fun, your Ruger MKIII pistol. They have the virtue of an ample aftermarket with easy access to a good trigger.

In the last seven years or so, the aftermarket for parts that allow the building of a very accurate 22lr out of an AR upper and lower receiver have blossomed.
For a 22lr semi-automatic rifle costing less than $1,000, I don't think I could make a better 22lr.

Ultimately, the activity will be a larger part of the fun than the gun you are using, but it's nice for one's ability to be the limitation rather than the gun. My game is slow fire target, but I've also seen rimfire speed steel matches that people enjoy quite a bit.

TX22 - Fun and surprisingly accurate.

AR-22 - Try to build/find an accurate one, not just a bullet slinger.

Those 2 are the most fun I'm having and I've got my son hooked on .22LR now too with them.

Then, try some rimfire challenge matches:
https://www.rimfirechallenge.org/

$125 Marlin 795, with Tech Sight (peeps), MCARBO spring set, & a cotton G.I. sling. I have and have had some really nice .22s, but the 795 is my fun gun.

Get a bucket of Remington Golden Bullets, go to an Appleseed shoot, and show the guys with the suppressed and highly customized 10/22s with Nightforce scopes that you don't need a fancy rifle and competition ammo to earn a Rifleman patch.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I have a Ruger Super Single Six that's a very nice .22 LR six-shooter, but my favorite .22 handgun to shoot is a 1911.

My most favorite of all .22s is my grandfather's Winchester 1903 carbine but, technically, it's not a .22 LR. It's a .22 Winchester Automatic Rimfire. But the Winchester Model 63 is the same rifle, chambered in .22 LR. Taurus made the Model 63 for a few years after Winchester sold them the rights, but my Taurus 63 couldn't shoot nearly as well as my grandfather's old 1903, so I sold the Taurus.

Sounds like you need a pump action or bolt gun.

Or, like mentioned by others, I have also recently discovered the fun of an AR-22.
I tested the waters by using a CMMG conversion/adapter in various AR-15s. Accuracy was terrible, and reliability wasn't good.

But it was fun enough that I built a dedicated .22 LR upper. I should have gone for a higher quality barrel, but settled for CMMG. It isn't a tack driver, but holds about 2-2.5 MoA. Most of all, I added the reliability features to the upper (which are a pain to keep installing and removing from .223/5.56 uppers) and it runs great.
I don't have to worry about fouling a gas tube, or be stuck with a centerfire 100 yard zero. That upper is set up just for .22 LR and it is fun. My son and I even shoot it in competition occasionally.

Even though I am apparently a collector also, I have always been a shooter, so over decades, I have gotten a lot of enjoyment by bringing in great guns in FAR less than mint condition. I enjoy guns so much more if they were a damn good price.

To that end, I have a real love for guns that were extremely popular and wildly successful in the market, because that means they made a zillion because everyone wanted one… and that also means you can find wonderful examples of these in far less than mint condition and you end up with a heckuva good gun for low bucks.

I’ve chased MANY of those and you are asking .22LR?

My suggestion is most definitely a Colt Woodsman or variant. If you’ve never handled or shot one, you have no idea what you’ve missed. And they were massively popular for many decades, so they are easy to find, and if you find one with a far less than mint finish, they do not command stupid prices.

Here is my strong vote for a Woodsman or variant. I loved the Second series guns. A Challenger or a Huntsman is just as great.

The second iteration of the Ruger Charger. Rear picatinny rail that you MUST attach a folding arm brace too. It's threaded for a suppressor. Mount a red dot. 10 to 25 round magazines which you might already own. The shorter barrel keeps the suppressed sound down (not like a rifle).

CZ makes some nice .22LR bolt guns. The ones I have experience with showed pretty amazing accuracy.

^this has also been my experience.

A quality bolt action like a CZ would be high on my list for a .22lr as would a quality revolver.

A double action revolver like a 317 or a 617 would be fun. A Ruger Single Six made before the transfer bar might be nice and while it would be a step up in quality, it might not be different enough from the Heritage to justify the purchase.

I have a bunch of 22’s & the Browning 1911 Black Label has the classic look & feel, just scaled down to 85% of a full size 1911. Very light & plenty accurate, only thing negative I could say they’re a bit pricy, Mrs wanted one so I gifted it to her.
DQrUzPpl.jpg

get an old 102/103 series hi standard and get 7 different interchangeable bbls for it.
snap in snap out....different gun in 5 seconds.

I'll suggest something a bit different; a Glock 44.

Set up some mini-IDPA and USPSA courses with reduced targets, and run them over and over for pennies on the dollar. You can use G19 holsters and mag pouches, and have a ball for next to nothing compared to running CF courses.

Larry

Maybe try going vintage. My dad’s High Standard Sport King is still running strong after more than 70 years. I have an HD Military that still shoots great. Or a S&W K-22 or Model 17 revolver.

So easy....either a Ruger 10-22 Charger (very fun with a binary trigger and more fun still if you've SBR'ed it) or a S&W M&P 15-22. Can't go wrong with either one!

Ruger Mark IV target (with trigger kit) and Savage MARK II FV-SR. Because accurate (and affordable) firearms are tons of fun.

The list of what you already have, is great.

If you don't have Tech Sights (peep sights) on the 10/22, do that :)

I have a bunch of 22’s & the Browning 1911 Black Label has the classic look & feel, just scaled down to 85% of a full size 1911. Very light & plenty accurate, only thing negative I could say they’re a bit pricy, Mrs wanted one so I gifted it to her.
That looks sweet--wish I'd known about it when I was looking at RIA 22 full-size 1911's, might have sprung the extra bucks.

Back