I think I'm done with Taurus . . .

My experience with Taurus' products has been good, but I stay away from new products, new tech, from them. I have a PT99 (Beretta 92 copy) that is 30 years old. It has consumed a steady diet of hot reloads using max charges of Blue Dot powder and 115 - 125 grain bullets. I put a Wolff spring kit in to lighten the DA pull, which I rarely use.
I also have a Raging Bull 44 Magnum, 8 inch barrel and Burris dot sight. It had a smooth DA pull and excellent SA trigger out of the box. It reliably takes deer and I loaned it to a friend who took an elk with it out west somewhere. (Can't remember the state)
My son has a Taurus 1911 and it works fine. These are all tried and true designs by other manufactures. It seems to be their little guns that are a problem. Although I hated their foray into Colt SAA territory. Even though they might have been OK mechanically they looked like they were finished with gloss black spray paint.
I have heard about nothing but trouble with their .22 and .25 autos and the Model 85 revolver, and would stear clear of those.

Love me, love my Taurus.

Kind of like I am done with S&W, Ruger, Lipsey's, et al. Given automation, political influence, and off shore manufacturing, the guns will never be like the old ones. People expect prices they like and then complain about quality.

Also a PT709 owner here, and mine has been great, though recently I bought a couple of bulk boxes of 9mm from wally world and the Federal jammed several times. Bought a box of 50 thinking it might have been the batch, but it still jammed several times.

To say I'm not concerned would be wrong, but I am not worried about it because it has always functioned 100% with everything else I've fed it, including hand loads.

The only thing I'm mad about is that I bought it for $400+ back in 2012 and it now sells for $182 on buds :mad:

last I knew the federal 9mm at wally world was loaded light. (it's actually a special load just for walmart)
Have you shot that ammo before in the 709? could be the problem.

I picked up one last month but haven't made it to the range with it yet.
It's my 4th Taurus and while I had problems with Taurus nothing serious enough to send anything in.

Overall I like Taurus but they've discontinued a lot of models I intended to eventually buy :/

Cheapshooter - The plastic insert is . . .

Cheapshooter - If you go to the PT-22 owners manual on line, and look at the exploded view, the "plastic insert" is part 19.

Given the exploded view you posted we can only assume that there are differences in the PT-22 depending on the year of the make.

Life is good
Prof Young

I didn't see in his post where he said that you and others that posted your experiences liars.

But your post comes off as being hostile because he said he didn't have any problems with his and a friend. Every time there's a Taurus thread, people can't wait to dogpile on all the negative comments, even the ones that don't even own a Taurus!

On top of all that, the OP's gun was used when he bought it! So we don't even know what kind of condition it was in from the previous owner.

I've owned two Taurus guns, never had a problem with either one. I've had friends that owned them also and never saw them have trouble. I do know that ALL gun manufacturers have problems with some of their firearms and that's a FACT!

Notice how no one was called a liar? I think more people get caught up in the mob mentality when it comes to Taurus and yeah, if I paid money for a new firearm and it had problems I would be pissed off also. You also have to remember that not everyone buys a Taurus and has problems.

last I knew the federal 9mm at wally world was loaded light. (it's actually a special load just for walmart)
Have you shot that ammo before in the 709? could be the problem.

I did shoot some "American Eagle" before and all of that cycled. I'll check the specs on the box of Wally Federal and see if it's any different. It only fails as a failure to extract and sticks halfway into the chamber. Would a light load do that? I thought it would mean the chamber/case was rough, or the extractor is worn out, but it cycles everything else just fine and it hasn't seen more than a 1000 rounds(I think).

Well this was years ago.. I've not bought any ammo from walmart since this last shortage, so maybe they don't even sell it anymore.. i'll have to peek in and look next time im there.

The box was marked federal (premium) I think, not the usual "American Eagle"
the item# was "WM5199"

The box even warned about using in guns that are ported and such because it was loaded a bit lighter then usual.

I contacted ATK back when WM started stocking it and they confirmed it was exclusive to walmart.

Anyway ya if you have a light load it could easily cause extraction problems and stove pipes, that would probably be the #1 problem i'd guess.

The stuff shot fine for me but I think I only ever bought maybe 4 boxes of the stuff.

I own two Taurus's. One is a .22LR revolver and the other a heavy-barrel .38 Special. Both are SS.

The .38 is quite nice and feels good in my hand. And, it shoots very well. But, I still don't and won't carry it for protection.

I just don't trust Taurus.

I have owned 4, my sister has one.

Back around 1999, I bought 4 Taurus handguns. A Beretta 92 copy, was OK, not very accurate. Their small blued .22 double action revolver, with 4" barrel, the Model 85 in .38 special, stainless steel, and a 6" barreled blue double action revolver with ported barrel, in .357 magnum.

What caused me to sell them was that the revolvers were all slightly out of time, but accurate. The Beretta 92 copy seemed to be on the soft side concerning the aluminum frame, and on all the revolvers, the steel definitely was soft, they were wearing faster than they should have. Also, the hammers were sloppy on when they were released, were hitting the frame on each side, not terribly, but not as well fitted as a Smith and Wesson or Ruger.

My sister was getting stalked so I had her buy a new Taurus stainless steel revolver that was a copy of the S/W K frame with short barrel. It was finished a bit rough, but she rarely shoots it, keeps it for home defense and it has served her well. I shot it, it seemed just fine.

We never sent our guns back to do warranty work as they just plain worked. About that time I was reading of all the horror stories of their bad quality and lousy customer service, decided to sell them all. The blued .357 was sold to a fellow gun club member, for some reason he just glared at me in anger whenever we had club functions, I could not understand why, but the gun I sold him must have misbehaved. He was too shy to approach me, and I am a large man too. He got a good deal on a working gun.

Too afraid to buy another Taurus, but it does cross my mind.

I really didn't research Taurus before I bought a PT709 when they first came out. The gun was a dud from day 1. Jammed every other round. I guess back then they paid shipping. They actually sent a FedEx driver to my house with a box and label no less.
5 weeks later I had it back. It's been perfect ever since. Like some others here I can't recommend them, but I love the 709.
I am sending it to my sister in Fla soon. So use to having that gun, not sure what will replace it.

I have a TCP which I haven't had any issues with aside from finding spare magazines. Backordered a pair from Taurus, they had no idea how long it would take. Almost forgot about the backorder until about 4 months later a package came with my mags. But they weren't the standard 6 round mags, they were the rare-as-hens-teeth 8 round mags!

So I was happy with that.

Sauer, they still make the Pt709. It also costs a whole heck of a lot less than it used to. And mags are easily obtainable, though not the cheapest.

See more recent post. . .

I have a followup post titled "Taurus makes good." in the semi auto forum.

Life is good
Prof Young

I agree with the posters who've said Taurus' Q.C. is "hit or miss." I had a model 85 snub nose once that ran fine and shot adequately well.

Then I shot a buddy's more recent Taurus 1911 at the range. "Tried" is actually the more accurate description. The pistol was jam-o-matic junk.:rolleyes:

Look, when your Taurus runs fine, it's a "hit." But when it's a "miss," it misses badly, and is therefore junk.

Never keep a junk gun around. Get rid of it. :cool:

I'm not usually a fan of threads that bash XXXX brand. Also, I long was a defender of Taurus. However, I just no longer feel comfortable buying anything from them (people who remember me from 10-15 years ago, especially when I had the only online Taurus fan board at the time, may be doing a double take).

My Taurus history:

My first handgun was a Taurus 82. It was overall a good gun, though sometimes the ejector rod would back out a little after shooting making opening the cylinder difficult. Nothing a little loctite wouldn't fix, but I never got around to it. The DA trigger was a little heavy as well. I ended up selling it when I got my S&W 65LS since at the time I believed I wouldn't own more than 2-4 handguns and I didn't see the use of having 2 medium framed revolvers.

My next Taurus was a 605. No issues, but I found .357mag in a small snub unpleasant so I sold it.

Then I got a Taurus PT140 Millennium Pro, the original DAO version. For a long time it was a good gun for me. When the rear sight came loose and eventually fell off (a common problem) I still wasn't soured and I did some research to find a night sight that would work and paid to have a gunsmith install it since it would take a little modification. That work, and the sight, put my cheap Taurus into $500+ territory, that is how much I liked and trusted this gun.

I'm not sure if the used Taurus 85CH came before or after the PT140. It has been a good gun for me. I'm not a big snub/small framed revolver fan (despite owning 4 small frame snubs) and I've often played with the idea of selling it. Every time, I find an excuse to keep it.

So, four good Taurus handguns and about 2K rounds through the PT140 had me online defending Taurus in all the Taurus bashing threads. I wasn't a fanboy, I acknowledged that they had problems somewhat more frequently than the more expensive brands, but I bought the idea that if you have trouble it will show up immediately and then just send it to Taurus to get fixed.

What changed my mind...

First, my PT140 developed another problem, one that made it unusable. The firing pin gets stuck in the fire position. Luckily it caused rounds to be unable to feed, because if they did then the firing pin would have engaged the primer and it would have fired when I didn't want it to. Eventually I'll get around to sending it in and experiencing Taurus customer service first hand, but I'll never trust it for its intended purpose (CCW/home defense), it is a bit small to be a great range gun, and I won't sell it due to it being a piece of crap. So, I'm in no hurry to spend the money to UPS it just for a gun that will do what it is doing now (sitting in my safe) most of the time.

Then, I saw the class action lawsuits about the polymer guns firing when they shouldn't. Coupled with my firing pin issue, my confidence in Taurus took a blow. Then, there was the settlement with Taurus actually acknowledging the issue. This can be seen two ways: 1) at least they acknowledged it and are doing something about it, or 2) that means there is definitely a design issue with all their polymer guns that they fought doing anything about for about a decade. I took the second way of seeing it. I keep hearing that the G2 guns are different, improved, without any of the issues of previous designs, but I always heard that about every previous generation of Taurus polymer, and each had major flaws, some unfixable enough that they dropped lines altogether for a "new and improved" (the original Millennium for my gen Millennium Pro for instance).

The final blow at around the same time was buying my 2" Rossi 461. Rossi is now made by Taurus, and has been for a while. My 2" 461 had an issue early on where it would totally bind after shooting off a round or two of .357mag. It would work fine with .38spl, but I couldn't get through more than one or two rounds of magnums. I haven't had the problem in a while, but I rarely shoot more than a cylinder or two of magnums anymore so I don't know if it likes the brands I use now, or if I'm just getting lucky. I don't trust it (especially since, from doing some online research, I see that this seems to be a relatively common problem now with Taurus and Rossi revolvers), I rarely shoot anything out of it, and I've never used it for its intended purpose as a carry gun. I also got a 3" which I rarely fire and I'm not sure if I'll ever develop any confidence in it due to the troubles with the 2".

So, I no longer recommend Taurus. When shopping guns, I often look due to their prices, but since that 3" Rossi (which I'm probably going to sell soon) I have not been able to convince myself to buy a Taurus product (both Taurus and Rossi).

I'm not usually a fan of threads that bash XXXX brand. Also, I long was a defender of Taurus. However, I just no longer feel comfortable buying anything from them (people who remember me from 10-15 years ago, especially when I had the only online Taurus fan board at the time, may be doing a double take).

My Taurus history:

I'm not done with Taurus, yet. They have some revolvers I might be interested in. I have a 605 that's been very sound. I have a hankering for a .44 Special carry gun. At the affordable end there's Taurus and Charter, and of those two it's a tossup.

I'm indifferent to the Taurus autos. Always have been. There's so much else to pick from.

I had two

Both were 605 snubs. One blued and the other stainless. Blued one was great, I'm sorry I sold it. The stainless went back for repairs. Twice. For the same problem.

Chaim, looked for that class action suit, google did not help me. Or maybe I'm the idiot, but either way, do you have a link?
I have a PT709 that I used to carry and I haven't recently only because I moved. If they have a problem firing when they shouldn't I'd like to know now before I go back to carrying it all the time. Especially since the Shields are super cheap right now and it would be real easy to replace it.

I just sold my last Taurus, a model 94. It also recently arrived from the service center due to a stuck extractor. Anyway, I was using it as a trainer for my soon-to-be 10 year old but he could not manage the stiff double action and would tilt the barrel in frighteningly unsafe directions while trying to cock the hammer so I traded it in for a Buckmark.

Back