I think I'm done with Taurus . . .

I might be the oddball. I bought a very old 38 special revolver that shot great. It encouraged me to ignore the constant Taurus bashing and I bought a semi-auto. It has been fine and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Taurus. I ignored the bashing after buying the widely bashed Hi-Point and finding the bashing was baseless. I figured if they were so wrong about the Hi-Point that it was likely the same with Taurus.

I will join in on the fun, I have had 3 revolvers and 3 semi and all of them but two semis had to go back for repairs and the ones that did not go back were Taurus 1911's. I will not buy another Taurus product again, I see no reason to take a chance at getting a dud or it breaking when I need it the most. There are other companies out there who have better customer service ratings if needed. I have had to send a gun back to Ruger and S&W but both times it was with a prepaid shipping label and they came back within two weeks, repaired and working great. The Taurus guns that went off for repair went back on my dime and were still not 100% when they came back. I will not support them any longer.

I have had several Tauri. Some were more useless than a paperweight..... Others have been better than guns costing much more. They just need to tighten up their quality control some.

I might be the oddball. I bought a very old 38 special revolver that shot great. It encouraged me to ignore the constant Taurus bashing and I bought a semi-auto. It has been fine and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Taurus. I ignored the bashing after buying the widely bashed Hi-Point and finding the bashing was baseless. I figured if they were
Agreed fully. I have had no problem with either Taurus I own. One wheel gun, one semi-auto. I also go by people I personally know, and their known experience over internet experts. My good friend, and his no passed father have accumulated many, many times more guns than I. Don't even have a clue how many, but I know at least eight safes in their Summer lake house location, several more in "the city", and one or two in Florida. They have never been afraid to buy any Taurus, and only had a problem with one Taurus 85 revolver. Which was sent back for repairs on Taurus, and returned working perfectly in three weeks.
Much better results than with the Steyr SSP he had that started shredding plastic parts all over the range with the second mag he fired in it.

Agreed fully. I have had no problem with either Taurus I own. One wheel gun, one semi-auto. I also go by people I personally know, and their known experience over internet experts. My good friend, and his no passed father have accumulated many, many times more guns than I. Don't even have a clue how many, but I know at least eight safes in their Summer lake house location, several more in "the city", and one or two in Florida. They have never been afraid to buy any Taurus, and only had a problem with one Taurus 85 revolver. Which was sent back for repairs on Taurus, and returned working perfectly in three weeks.
Much better results than with the Steyr SSP he had that started shredding plastic parts all over the range with the second mag he fired in it.

So, essentially, you are calling many members on this forum...some of them being longtime, experienced members...liars, when they post THEIR "personal known experience". These are members that stand to gain nothing by making up some negative comment about their Taurus experience.

Well, good to know how you feel about your fellow members.

Also, I don't care how you view my posted experience...it is very true...and you can have all of the Taurus guns that I might have purchased had I not gotten the junk examples that I did.

They certainly do seem to be hit and miss in quality. With that said, I have two Rossi's and other than a cartridge guide screw backing out of my lever action they have both been flawless and two of my favorite guns. A couple of co-workers have a Judge, PT1911 and 605. All of which have been excellent for them as well. For me? Yeh, Taurus is still worth a roll of the dice.

Last edited:
I have always been a non-basher of Taurus. I have owned 3 Taurus revolvers: a snubnose .357 with a ported barrel that was sold because I worried the recoil was loosening my teeth; a .44 spl ultralite was sold because I am not a reloader; and I still have a 94. All were reliable until recently when the ejector rod on the 94 stuck. Taurus repaired it and returned it but I have not test-fired it yet. I don't want anything to do with it anymore, with Taurus altogether. It was just one problem on a firearm that will never serve a practical role and I'm done. I don't trust them anymore. How fickle am I?

All were reliable until recently when the ejector rod on the 94 stuck. Taurus repaired it and returned it but I have not test-fired it yet. I don't want anything to do with it anymore, with Taurus altogether. It was just one problem on a firearm that will never serve a practical role and I'm done. I don't trust them anymore. How fickle am I?
Not sure fickle even begins to describe it.
Illogical would probably be a good start. One, minor problem, repaired, and returned, and you're done. Sounds like the lack of logic is exactly where Taurus hate stems from.
Would you be "done" with Sig, FN, Kimber, or one of the other "socially acceptable" guns with just one small problem that was repaired?
No, I am not calling the Taurus bashers liars. Just referencing my own experience, and the experience of friends. Plus other friends, and family not mentioned in my post that have had totally trouble free Taurus firearms.
Where all the Hi-Point bashers that seem to have disappeared lying? Don't know, many however continued to bash the brand without ever owning, or even shooting one. Just thought that bashing a brand that some found fault with was the popular thing to do to be in with the "big kids".

I have had 95% good luck with Taurus and the one problem was eventually fixed. A few have been excellent. The rest have been in the vast majority okay. If my experiences had been different, so would have been my response. You rolls your dice and you takes your chances.

I must be lucky. I own two model 85's in 38spl and a PT-145 and all are good guns. Ive had the 145 for over 10yrs and one of the 85's for 5-6yrs. No issues. Good affordable guns when you are working your ass off paying bills and raising kids.

I have a 709 Slim and there is a 738 that I gave my oldest daughter because she felt comfortable with it, was confident in it, and shot it well.

Then there is a 4" blued 669 .357, an M44SS6, and an M444B6 that I gave my son. He digs that Raging Bull.

I have five .357 Gauchos that I shoot a pair of just about every weekend in CAS matches. My youngest daughter won a state championship shooting a pair of my Gauchos because one of her brand new Pietta's broke during a warmup match.

There are also three Rossi M92's in .44 Magnum and one Rossi M92 in .357 that have been shot as main match rifles in CAS and Wild Bunch.

We have a Rossi Trifecta in .243, 20 Gauge, and .22 that is my youngest daughter's deer hunting rifle.

There's also a Rossi Overland 20 Gauge.

That's two semi-automatic pistols, three double action revolvers, five single action revolvers, four lever action rifles, a combo gun, and a SxS shotgun.

I reckon that comes up to 16 Taurus and BrazTech products that have never had a problem and none have them have ever been back for service. Not to say that none of them ever will. Anything can break. But it hasn't happened yet and many of these I have owned for years.

I have no reason to bash Taurus.

I've had three Taurus CS experiences that took between 6 and 8 months each to resolve... I will NEVER make that mistake again.

ps. One of the three above was never truly resolved after 7 months, so they let me choose a new firearm to replace it, which I then promptly sold upon receipt.

I have a taurus revolver and pistol that are each over 10yrs old and both have been nothing but reliable. I love the innovative stuff their company is pushing and their prices.

As far as taurus bashing, I have always said this...

When you post a forum that your glock is not working right, everyone automatically assumes its your fault or you just got really really unlucky and got a bad one. When you post on a forum that your taurus is not working right, people just say its taurus's bad quality control. If taurus had bad quality control, they would of been out of business a long long time ago. Heck if it were over 5% they would probably be out of business. Could they produce a gun that has some issues at first? Yep, so can glock (think glock 42 when it first came out and everyone gave them a pass).

Lately Better

If any company has been unjustly hammered by the Internet Amplifier, it would be Taurus.

My brother has their 1911, it's accurate, has a great trigger, and has not given him any issues. He had a case head failure recently. Just blew the mag out, no damage to him or to the pistol other than the mag.

I picked up my model 94 as I had been wanting a .22 revolver, but not bad enough to pay S+W's prices. The 94 fills a niche, and always rides along to the range. I like that little 9 shooter a lot, and the icing on the cake....200.00 bucks out the door at the local fun store. Double action trigger is stiff, but single action is crisp and smooth. I did dry fire it about a zillion times using dry wall anchors as snap caps. I also did a full tear down and lube when I brought it home. The dry firing really helped the trigger. At 7 yards I can keep them all in the size of a softball double action. It's a tack driver single action. How could I go wrong for 200 bucks? I do want to put some nice wood grips on it tho, I understand the rubber grips at it's price point. The gun was not NIB but I doubt it had ever been fired prior to my purchase. SN shows it was just made a couple years ago.

I've had Taurus pistols. They looked great. They were finished great. They functioned great. Had good triggers. Shot nice and more accurate than expected.

I just got tired of trying to find holsters, and using the generic ones from Walmart. I was worried about repairs if they ever did break. They have been retired to the junk drawer, metaphorically speaking.

I had an old Taurus 357 mag revolver and it was great--but that's the only one I've had that I can say that about. Had a TCP and it never worked reliably from the git-go--and my beloved 44 mag rossi carbine--well, it musta been assembled on the line when everyone was hung over from too much Cachaça it was terrible but I managed to "remanufacture" it into a great shooting lever gun. Terrible may be a stretch to characterize all Taurus products--but "toss of the dice" I think would be a very appropriate description.

That's how I'd assess people's experiences across the board as stangpanther says, A Roll of the Dice.
I had a favorable experience with Taurus, but that seems to be atypical if you read lots of owners accounts.

I also assume that most Taurus pistols probably only get fired a few times then thrown in a night stand for several years. People get the self protection bug, buy a gun then forget about it.

Back