I hope some coyote hunters have ethics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a hunter.
Don't know if I will ever be, and I can agree with the sentiments of the OP.
I really don't see the "fun" in killing, personally. I can see the "food", and that might be the only way I'd consider taking hunting up...

I will say that calling a coyote a "brutal killer" is plain wierd as I don't know of any predator that is not brutal. They are doing what evolution has given them.
In any case, my view is that, on the one part we, technically, are the aliens in the ecosystems, not vice versa, yet we have the technology and skills to kill humanely: not doing so out of apathy, essentially makes us just as "brutal" and unnecessarily so, IMO.
We are the ones who should be working as hard as possible to make our impact in their ecosystem as minmial as possible.

I don't expect to change anyone's views, but these are mine:
Take them or leave them; don't expect to change them.

Coyotes are dangerous predators. You dont co-exist with them. And if you lived in an area where they were a real problem, you wouldnt have started this thread.

I'm not going to jump in too heavy on this, but thought this was pertinent.

http://news.yahoo.com/coyote-killing-contest-sparks-outrage-193948186--abc-news-topstories.html

Personally I can't stand coyotes, and I'll take just about any available clean shot that presents itself.

We had a big coyote problem last year, pretty much a nightly ritual of hearing them take something down. Lots of times it was turkeys, other times deer. Heard them really close up to the house one night after something, went to check out the area the next day in the light. Ended up finding the little doe still alive, with about half of one ham eaten away and most of her organs hanging out.........don't know how she lived as long as she did. I put her out of her misery, and used part of the meat as bait for that night. Killed me two of them suckers and felt pretty darn happy. ;)

Thankfully they haven't been around much at all since about mid-summer, hopefully it stays that way.

Many coyotes live in isolated areas and they do what coyotes have done for millennia. I'm fine with leaving those animals alone. The ones that start hanging around farms and snatch and kill domestic animals are the ones I'm interested in.
They most likely belong to an overcrowded coyote population and removing a couple of them actually helps them. Like Art said, it's more like a chore, but, you can get some enjoyment out of the hunt. It can be challenging and exciting, even though they probably won't hurt the hunter, it still makes your heart race to have a predator headed straight for you.

Now, it's been said time and time again that everyone strives for a clean kill, that's the mark of a job well done, but if a bad shot occurs, feeling bad about it is normal. If you fail to sleep at night because of a bad shot, then hunting may not be the activity for you. Would I feel bad if I maimed a coyote? Absolutely. Would I lose a wink of shut eye about it? Not at all. Doesn't make someone a jerk, it's just a reality.
Not every bullet kills. Coyotes are not very sturdy for bullets, they die the quickest of any animal. You put a shot between any two of the four legs and they go down.

wyoredman said:
Ever heard of anthropomorphism? That is just what you are doing here!

Coyotes do not have "feelings" like people. The ethics of the TV show you cite aside, maybe you should not be a hunter

Exactly correct.

Animals do not have "families" as we know them. They do not have dreams for the future or even plans for tomorrow. They do not mourn their dead or fear death as we do. They react by instinct alone. A coyote with pups "playing" and "loving" them today will eat the dead pups tomorrow if you shoot them and leave them out there.

Any lifer-long hunter should be well aware of those facts if they listen to their own eyes instead of Walt Disney's fantasy cartoon world.

Any hunter has seen an animal in a group get shot and after a panic over the sound of the shot or the strange behavior of the now dead animal, they go right back to feeding as if the dead one never existed. Even if they walk right over it, it's just a terrain feature, hardly worthy of a sniff.

I've watched a adult doe when their fawns get shot, jump and run a short distance, soon return, continue feeding and eventually wander away, no concern of what happened to the fawn or why.

This fantasy world makes me sick.

Watch a pack of wolves or coyotes kill a deer sometime. They will take bites out it's haunches while it's still alive and follow it around until it bleeds to death, they don't care how long it takes. They will begin tearing it's bowels out while it still lives, and they don't care. They will kill an adult doe whose fawn will starve to death without her, and they don't care. They'll kill the fawn too, if they get a chance, and they don't care.

Animals will kill other animals young, with no concern.

Think of the word "humane". It's a human word. It doesn't apply to the animal world. It is a figment of our imaginations, in that regard. There is no "humaneness" in the animal world, except what we, as humans, put there.

Animals kill and get killed without pity or remorse. It's the cycle of life in the world as it is today.

You should see what a burst from one of these things does to a Coyote.

attachment.php

If the guy is looking for apologies..... I think he's come to the wrong place.... He needs to contact the editor for the show.....

Don't expect an apology from me.....

We used to have cattle and the coyotes would be a problem. I have pets and two of them went to the coyotes. My grandfather raised pigs and cattle, coyotes again were a problem. Here in West Tennessee, coyotes are everywhere and they will attack anything; some people have even been attacked. Just because some dude on some tv show got a bad shot, either due to lack of skill or game on the trot doesn't mean that he thoroughly enjoyed it and licked his chops at the sign of an injured animal. I enjoy the hunt and the meat from the hunt. But what I enjoy more is when I know that I am saving my family's investment in cattle, crop, pets, pigs, etc... by taking out a few of the thousand coyotes in the area. Grow up, coyotes cause major economic problems for farmers and ranchers as well as any family with an outdoor family pet.

Coyotes are predators who's numbers need to be controlled for our good and their good also. While bad, poorly placed shots are common in the real hunting world, intentionally wounding any animal so that it suffers a long and painful death has nuttin' to do with ethics. It has to do with being sick in the head. There's a big difference.

I live in Denver. Urban coyotes are a big issue here, and if I could shoot the ones that are in the open space behind my house I would.

They're sneaky little turds. They will lure dogs into a steep creek bank where the dogs can't get out easily and then they gang up on them and it's bye bye to the family pet.

I've lived in the Midwest and heard them kill a cow. The cows scream for what seems like hours as the coyotes kill it. The sound travels for miles.

No sympathy from me for coyotes.

Bait post.

Looks like one to me too Sarge.

OP, I doubt there are many coyote hunters who take delight in making coyotes suffer. As has already been pointed out numerous times in this thread, coyotes are a pest species that do lots of damage. Having them spade and neutered, then adopted by loving homes is not feasible. Hunting them is the most effective way to control their population. In that hunting process, some will be wounded and die a slower death than others will. Thats reality.

Real life is not like the Disney movies man.

So everyone feels better.... I will kiss all of my dead coyotes on the forehead right before I pitch their carcass into the bone pit...

Anyone can quote me on that

I figure that if somebody else who has little or no understanding of issues concerning predators finds this thread, it might prove educational.

Nuff fer now.

I'm going to repost a story from my own experience. Lived in a rural suburb of Denver when my kids were smaller. (9-14y.o.) The coyotes were VERY thick in the area and equally aggressive. It got to the point where nightly we would hear the yipping that they used to communicate while they were running down prey, then silence when they caught it. The kids started coming home in the evening saying as the sun started to go down the coyotes would start to follow them. The thing that prompted some changes was when they came in, and ran in the door terrified saying a pack had followed them making those sounds. They were on their bikes at the time and able to get safely home, barely. I called the local LE and asked if they had heard anything along those lines. Turns out new building in the area had concentrated them near our house and they were killing pets and scaring joggers pretty much daily. Too close to town to shoot, too many to handle that way anyway. Bought the kids bear pepper spray, best I could do. Part of the reason we moved not too long after.
Coyotes ARE intelligent like the OP said. Hearing other coyotes make horrible sounds as they died MIGHT scare them off the area, a net benefit. I'd feel bad about it but in some cicumstances it's simply needed no matter how it is done.
I feel very close to animals out in the wild. My tribal friends (Shoshone-Bannock) always claimed that how I felt about animals was very close to their beliefs.

I have watched time and time again as small birds attacked a bigger bird to drive it from their territory, and have heard of coyotes deliberately killing off competing predators in their territory.
Even using the OP's logic, I as a fellow animal have the same rights they do.

Hunting is always a win-lose situation

For me it doesn't matter either way. I feel just as bad when I get a clean kill as I do when I have to track my prey after it was wounded. True, other predators in the wild aren't concerned with a "clean" or "humane" kill, but after all, that's what makes us human.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back