I Hate Plastic Guns.....

OP: I was in the EXACT same boat a few years ago. I hated on glocks and other polymer wonders.

One day at an indoor range I rented a "new" Gen 4 G17 for S's and G's. Son of a gun if I didn't print a group of 15 rounds at 25 yards that rivaled what I could do with one of my 1911's. Mag capacity, its cheap, hey, I want one!

I now own 3 ploymer wonders. All of them fill defensive roles for me. I still laugh at their fit and finish, but they all work, and they all work well.

I would rather look at and shoot steel guns, however, my carry piece is a
Glock 36 in .45acp. It's MUCH lighter...

Plastic/polymer and..

It bears mentioning that only part of the gun is "plastic".....the works are steel.
At least at this point....
Pete

Yea . . . I hate plastic guns but then I'm old too! :D

I only own one - a Ruger SR9 and believe me, it was painful to buy one but I've had it for about 7 years now and I love it. Mosto of my handguns are metal - mainly revolvers and I have more have more than I should but hey . . . it's like shoes . . . you can only wear one pair at a time but it's nice to change up once in a while to prevent blisters.:eek:

I agree with you on the Shield. In fact, I'm seriously thinking of getting one for CCW to alternate with my Smith 36 snub. Anybody I have talked with that has a 9mm Shield loves it. Sometimes us 'old dogs" need to learn "new tricks". :D

And by the way . . . I think Bersas are a great handgun as well!

Metal revolvers
Full-sized metal semi-autos
My Kel-Tec P3AT

It takes time, but I am adjusting. I will probably add another plastic gun to the collection eventually.

Of all the handguns I've bought and later sold the only one I sort of regret not hanging on to was a S&W 3913. And that was my first plastic gun. I'd convinced myself that it would wear out real fast, so I sold it and got a real metal gun (Kahr MK40) which I also sold.

The 3913 isn't plastic, it's aluminium/steel with plastic grips.

The Shield is an excellent little platform. My wife carries one off duty, it's a sweet shooter and I can see how it can convert someone to the plastic side, lol.

The only "plastic" guns I have ever had were when I was a kid, and they squirted whatever out of the barrel!
I have several guns with a polymer frame, and steel, aluminium, or.....:eek:ZAMAK:eek: slides, and steel springs etc.
Also some with steel, stainless steel, aluminum, or ....:eek:ZAMAK:eek: frames.
I find things to like in all of them.
Guess you could say I'm none judgemental (got one of them too) when it comes to my guns. If I like the looks, and feel of it, the price is right, and I have the $$$ available, I buy it.

"The 3913 isn't plastic, it's aluminium/steel with plastic grips."

Thanks, it's been a long time. The frame is aluminum alloy. Pretty cool gun being TDA.

I carry a Glock 19 for work. The so-called plastic handgun is my working tool. It's works and I trust it. However it's just a tool. Take care of it and use it. Don't hate it. It has it's advantage. I'll keep my G19 when I retire. Probably the only one I will have in my safe.

I collect all steel revolvers. Those are what I enjoy and I am very fond of. Those aren't tools. Those are a passion.

Any chance we can get back on track and quit arguing over what "plastic" means?

But Spats, the definition of plastic and polymer is way more interesting and fruitful than the topic of this thread.

Hey, I hate 'em too. But in all honesty, I'll love and remain true to the one, plastic or steel, which doesn't have a FTF when the doo-doo hits the fan.;)

It ain't plastic!

Plastic it's not, it's super tuff polymer. Strong but light weight. Just like the polymer tips on preimum bullets, so ya know it's tuff stuff. I'm just waiting for more gun companys to offer the polymer pistol frames & rifle stocks in more colors then black, camo or some shade of desert whatever. Royal blue, candy apple red, forest green, metallic silver or gold.......that's what I'm talkin' about, but that's just my taste.....don't hate me.

I'm with you brother - I've owned plastic guns of many varieties - from high quality ones from Kahr and CZ to "junkier" ones (though quite serviceable) from Kel Tec, Taurus, and Glock... yet the only plastic gun I have left is the M&P Shield - love that sucker.

Having said that, I want another KT PMR-30 - kick myself for selling that one. Junky, yes, somewhat, perhaps, but so much fun, and quite accurate. And one of the best triggers ever on a handgun.

Regardless, you are right that the Bersa is a fine - metal - gun.

Last edited:
I say this in the kindest way possible, but those of us who hate plastic guns are probably part of the older demographic. I know quite a few guys who hate plastic guns, and they're all 45+, and more likely 60+.

I sometimes run into guys who argue that the military M16 is inferior to the old M14 or any 308 rifle, and that the M16 is a plastic toy, not a rifle. Usually the 60+ crowd. The .223 is junk!

I've never met a guy in his 20s or 30s who hates the plastic guns. To the contrary, they love the Glocks and HKs of the world.

One day, in about 50 years, when they perfect caseless ammo or some other inevitable advancement, we'll be talking about how 'real' guns were solid in the hand and kids nowadays don't know about guns. An all plastic gun? These kids are crazy?!!!! You can't have a plastic barrel! Heck I remember when you had to drive your own car, can't trust a robot to drive your car! The world is going to hell.

I hate plastic guns

I do not have any plastic handguns. I do have long guns with synthetic stocks. I prefer long guns that way.

Machineguntony

I say this in the kindest way possible, but those of us who hate plastic guns are probably part of the older demographic. I know quite a few guys who hate plastic guns, and they're all 45+, and more likely 60+.

I sometimes run into guys who argue that the military M16 is inferior to the old M14 or any 308 rifle, and that the M16 is a plastic toy, not a rifle. Usually the 60+ crowd. The .223 is junk!

I've never met a guy in his 20s or 30s who hates the plastic guns. To the contrary, they love the Glocks and HKs of the world.

One day, in about 50 years, when they perfect caseless ammo or some other inevitable advancement, we'll be talking about how 'real' guns were solid in the hand and kids nowadays don't know about guns. An all plastic gun? These kids are crazy?!!!! You can't have a plastic barrel! Heck I remember when you had to drive your own car, can't trust a robot to drive your car! The world is going to hell.

You nailed it. I'm 46 and I find myself grumbling about the proliferation of iphones or smartphones and the overall invasion of the electronic/digital world in our daily lives. Even though I belong to several gun forums on the Internet. I'm a hypocrite. :o

It's my opinion that it's risky to generalize a group. Especially one as large and as contentious as American gun-owners, but I'll go out on a fairly thick limb here in my humble opinion. Many American gun-owners tend to be politically and socially conservative and many also come across as curmudgeons - even the ones under 40 years of age. It's in their/our/my nature to complain and grumble.

Now excuse me. I have to go wave my cane at a bunch of blasted kids.

"Now excuse me. I have to go wave my cane at a bunch of blasted kids."

Is that a real cane or a plastic cane?

Sir, not only did you say it in the nicest way, you are about 95% correct. I fall into the 60+ age group, and I'm no fan of plastic guns of any type. Yet I have to admit they have been around long enough that they are no longer a passing fad. I have been thinking about picking up a Shield or small Glock just to have one; Not that I'd ever use it for much of anything, other than something to keep in the trunk of the car. Just in case............

Back