I Hate Plastic Guns.....

I hate plastic guns, but I sure do like polymer pistols

Distinction without a difference.

Gun companies say "polymer" because it sounds better than "plastic." It's a marketing decision, not a distinction that means anything. It's actually less specific, because plastics are a specific type of polymer -- a polymer just being any large-chain molecule with a large number of repeating units. DNA and proteins are also types of polymers (biopolymers, specifically). "Plastic" actually conveys more information.

I don't "hate" them. I've owned several and liked them. They're just not my first choice. I'm a revolver guy at heart, and old blue steel, Smith & Wesson revolver guy to be even more specific. I've just got no real interest in plastic guns...or stainless steel ones for that matter.

"The word plastic is derived from the Greek πλαστικός (plastikos) meaning "capable of being shaped or molded", from πλαστός (plastos) meaning "molded". It refers to their malleability, or plasticity during manufacture, that allows them to be cast, pressed, or extruded into a variety of shapes—such as films, fibers, plates, tubes, bottles, boxes, and much more."

So plastic usually refers to a molded polymer. Included among molded polymers are some polyamides, and polyamides includes things like nylon, kevlar, and HK45 frames.

The word plastic is derived from the Greek πλαστικός (plastikos) meaning "capable of being shaped or molded", from πλαστός (plastos) meaning "molded". It refers to their malleability, or plasticity during manufacture, that allows them to be cast, pressed, or extruded into a variety of shape

So then would Ruger cast metal frames not be "plastic"?

So then would Ruger cast metal frames not be "plastic"?

Metal isn't a molded polymer, so nope. However styrofoam is a polymer, and normally wouldn't be thought of as a plastic even though it is sometimes cast, so the terms are a bit ambiguous.

I hated plastic guns all the way up to the day I held my XDs in my hand. I still hate the way many of them look but I have to admit I love the XDs.

Looks - steel and wood

Everything else - plastic fantastics

Since they are mostly tools to me I have almost all polymer framed handguns.

OK, so now for the plastic haters. 'Lumnum or steel? I have both, well actually three, no four when you through in Zamak. Also stainless steel so that's five different materials. Each has it's own individual attributes, and I don't really identify as a fan of any particular one.

I agree with Snyper "I sure do like polymer pistols" (and revolvers!)

Intro to Polymers

The term polymer is commonly used today in the plastics and composites industry, and it is often used to imply the meaning of "plastic" or "resin". In actuality, the term polymer means much more.

http://composite.about.com/od/whatsacomposite/a/What-Is-A-Polymer.htm

That link, and the part you posted, just repeats what I said in my last post: while all plastics are polymers, there are many polymers that are not plastics (rubber, DNA, proteins, cellulose, styrofoam, carpet, Teflon, etc.). Accordingly, because all polymers used as for handgun frames are plastics, "polymer" is an unnecessarily broad term. It just sounds better than "plastic."

Heh,Heh..

.." When I really decided I liked plastic was when I brought a Glock 23 on a week long backpack trip in PA.

It rained every day, and when it wasn't raining, the sun turned the water into thick humidity."

Welcome to summertime Pa!

To get back on track, all of my pistols are steel except for a Ruger LCP. And that's only because I can't afford a Sig 238 HD at this time. Though I do have a lot of respect for polymers. I've shot'em and found more than a few to be quite accurate. So even though I don't choose to own one, some of them are very decent tools.

I don't hate plastic guns, I hate trigger safety striker fired guns.

Just happens that many plastic guns ARE trigger safety striker fired guns.

Accordingly, because all polymers used as for handgun frames are plastics, "polymer" is an unnecessarily broad term.

It just sounds better than "plastic."
That's because the term "plastic" had been given derogatory connotations.

When plastic became popular in the 40's and 50's, it was cheap, brittle, and very likely to break easily compared to the materials it replaced.

It's greatly improved over the last 50-60 years, but the term is still often used to imply it's somehow inferior

Back