I bought a Mosin.

Yes, you can spring many hundreds of dollars into a Mosin to get it to shoot well, or you can just buy a Garand or aught tree Springer.

True, but in my opinion it isn't as special buying a rifle that already shoots well as opposed to one you have to work on. I have a mosin target rifle project I've been working on for some time, and I'd take it over just about any rifle more accurate right off the rack because I've put my own personality into it. It's satisfying to me to be able to take an old worn rifle and make it something great.

Sweetie?!? Who the hell calls another guy sweetie on a forum.

Easy there. DPris is a good guy. Just been pulling his (and others) leg a bit about all the Mosin chatter. :cool:

I'm cool with the Mosin love, even if I prefer to "run errands with my Gerrand." :D

Ahh, not that you owed it to me but thanks for the explanation. I completely lost focus on the rest of the thread after that...:D

All I can say is that I purchased mine for $70. First thing I did was put a modern stock on it. Cost me around $50. After that I bent the bolt myself, mountain the weaver scope rail myself, lost "4 of the barrel and 're-crowned myself, and put a ring on the existing safety knob myself. I sold the old stock and sights parts to pay for a Timney trigger with built-in safety. I don't really consider the purchase of optics to be part of the equation because you would normally spend that on any rifle. I can easily say that I may be $120-$130 into this rifle. It's shoots well and I enjoyed every minute making it into something I appreciate. To each his own I guess.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Keep your Garand junk, I'll keep buying my mosin nagants. I wouldn't trade my N.E.W or Remington for all the Garands in the world.

If you find a fool that doesn't know the value of a nice Grand today...
Realistically it should take at least 4 or 5 MN's to make that trade...

With all the Mosin talk lately I decided that after close to a year in the safe it was time to get my 91/30 out. I was toying with the idea of possibly selling it to off set the cost of the M48 I am buying, after firing it today I forgot just how much fun that $160 rifle was to fire. Yep, it will be with me for the long haul.

I shoot mine competitively at 600 yards and with the as-issued iron sights. No glass for these 61 year old eyes. Shot it last month at Camp Pendleton. Shot a 169-1x out of a possible 200. Didn't place or show but I was pleasantly surprised with the score.
Just for the record, I have 4 91/30's. I also have 4 M1 rifles as well.
Jon

Last edited:
Time to reel this one back in....

That's a good looking Mosin. For all your Mosin-related questions...

7.62x54r.net

They are most likely the best compiled MN resource on the internet.

Back