I bought a Mosin.

tucker251

Inactive
Yes, I did it. Went out and bought a Mosin. I live in Cali so it will be 10 days before I can pick it up. Just a few things I know about it so far: It is a Mosin... lol. It is one of the hex versions. All the serial numbers match. And it does have a star stamp so that would indicate it was made at the Tula plant??? I think. When I get it I will have some pics to post so you guys can better inform me of what exactly I have. I believe it was made in 1931. It does come with the bandoleers, bayonet, the tool and the oil canister.

Looking for some help on where to buy a few things: stripper clips (good quality), sling and butt stock cushion. TIA!

Congratulations. To bad you didn't live in a state where you could walk out the door with it after filling out your paperwork.

Nice, have fun with it. I like mine but would like it a lot more if the ammo was still $5.00 a box like when I first bought it...:mad:.

I like the Limbsaver medium size Butt Pad. It fits it fine. For stripper clips, don't get any with those tabs on the top and bottom. Get the ones that numrich sells here:
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/292270.htm#292270B
They are the best on the market, especially compared to the Chinese made tab-clips.

Slings, just get an original one off of ebay, don't get an NcStar reproduction.

Star and Arrow is Tula.

Triangle and Arrow is izhevsk.

1931 Tula would have originally been a Dragoon.
Question, is whether it was updated, or not- and if so to what extent.

If it was not updated and is still a Dragoon, it would be considered more "collectible".

A Dragoon that was fully updated sights, handguard, and barrel bands to the newer 91/30 specs is referred to as an "Ex-Dragoon", and is really just another 91/30.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM91D.htm

Here's the only pic I have of it so far.

attachment.php

Attachments

• mosin.jpg
    mosin.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 453
tucker251 said:
TOBNPR: What does it mean by the "bayonet socket"? Is the one in the picture the way the dragoon's look?

The Dragoon was in "91/30" configuration before the 91/30 came along. Just a shorter rifle than regular infantry, with a different handguard.

We'll need to see markings and stuff, but I thing Tobnpr's right.

You might limit any mods to those which are reversible.

Regards,

Josh

In the Czar's army, then the Red Army, bayonet sheaths were extremely rare, standard practice to carry the bayonet reversed as pictured until the command "Fix Bayonets!" was given.

Does that have a folding Bayo on it, kinda M44 style.. Negative. It kinda just locks in place. Gotta press a button on the bayonet to get it off.

Great find, the Hex 91/30's are a great investment and are definitely worth more. DON'T bubba up that rifle ! If you must mod buy another 1 of a bazillion Ishy and go nuts.

I bought a century refurbished 1944 Ishvesk for $189 bac severall years ago. "Almost" all matching numbers (wrong firing pin). The rifle is essentially worthless as far as collector value. I stripped and refinished the stock, reblued some of the crappy looking components , and added a leaf sight mounted scout scope to be able to shoot out to 600 yds. Very happy with shooting the Mosin (as long as I wear my PAST shoulder pad ! ) LOL

Last edited:
well I guess I can't make fun of you anymore, I went out and bought a mosin too... but in my defense it's an M39 so it's not so bad:D
I'm still in the process of finding good stripper clips too, most out there are made in china and have a bad reputation.

and bickering match will ensue in

in all seriousness, can we please have a milsurp discussion on this board for once that does not turn into a mosin nagant vs M1 garand argument? the two are like comparing apples to condoms: neither can really be used for the purpose of the other and neither warrants the comparison in the first place.

Piffle!
The Mosin & Garand are both excellent rabbit guns & in that category are directly comparable :)
Denis

Back