How would you concealed carry in a kayak?

When I kayak, I carry my G27 in my dry pack, in the gun pack I normally carry it in. Thus if I go ashore, I can strap it on as per normal.

The Glock above other handguns I own because if it gets wet, it can be taken apart so readily for drying.

I once got saturated during a rainfall on a beach while carrying a Beretta PX4, and while a fine pistol, without my tools and punches, there was no way to break it down in the hotel room. I still remember sitting in the hotel room bathroom with a hair dryer for hours trying to get all the moisture out of it.

From now on, my wet weather pistols are either Glocks, or 1911s.

I carried an naa Minnie revolver in a sealed container when I used to go fishing on my kayak off south padre island. There was always trouble on that beach, especially during spring break when the beach is infested with thugs trying to hit on college chicks. I carried mine more encase I had to put one of their pit bulls down.

Originally posted by Sgt Pepper:
If you are in a kayak, canoe, raft, barge, boat, skiff, paddleboat, etc., there isn't a snake out there that is going to jump in and get you

I was on a Boy Scout canoe trip on the Allegheny river in NW PA back in the sixties when a copperhead climbed in our canoe. I was frantically trying to smack him with my paddle but he made it aboard anyway. We were near the bank and both disembarked in a really big hurry. Then we drug it up on the bank and flipped it over and waited for him to go on his way.

So yeah, it can happen. Not sure what good a gun would have done me except for putting holes in the canoe. When you're a 12 y/o boy stuck in a canoe with a poisonous snake a gun would be more effective used as a hammer. And looking back on that event, I'm not sure I'd be any more effective today under those circumstances.

so i went out today on the kayak and brought the s&w 637-2 and the glock 27 just too feel it out the glock defently needs an holster in the vest as the 637 fits really nice in the padding in the gunnel and is verry secure.

Never been in a kayak . . always wanted to . . but, I have been in a canoe a few times. The way I am around water, I'd double shrink wrap my carry, followed by a good wrapping in poly and duct tape with all of it dipped in paraffin. :D

I can understand your desire to carry where you are . . lots of nasty little critters to watch out for. :eek:

Back