How would you concealed carry in a kayak?

Recoiljunky

Hello, now lets start off with i already know that i am going to carry a glock 27 for this and know it works submerged and dirty. I'm looking for a way to conceal carry in heavly populated waterways to get to rural areas. I did a quick seach and could not find any good results on this. I don't really need to carry for fear of a criminal but more for various venimous snakes and critters. I was thinking of incorperating a holster into a life vest, but noy to sure about it. How would you carry and still have your weapon easily accesable?

I wouldn't. What's the point of concealed carry in a kayak? Seriously??? More likely to win the powerball than a "kayak active shooter" scenario. Snakes? They ain't jumping into a kayak. Neither are critters. Either one, however, are relatively easily dispatched with non-firearm tools or even your hands. Wait a minute - is this April Fool's day, and I just got sucked in?

I can tell you have never been to south florida. We are infested with cottonmouths. I normally shoot allot of them every time i go hunting so i can assure you it is an actual problem. They can also bite you with there heads cut off as most snakes so no rambo knife on this one.

I don't kayak but I do fish from a canoe.

I carry the same way I always carry, my revolver in my pocket. I figure if I fall in the creek, I'll just clean it when I get out.

No biggie.

I don't know about glocks but I really doubt the will melt if they get wet.

Yes, I have been to south Florida, albeit briefly, but I grew up in the bayou country of southeast Texas. I have had lots of fun intimate times with cottonmouths, water moccasins, copperheads, coral snakes (deadly but not really a threat), and a host of large non-venomous snakes, etc. Pack what you want, where you want, how you want, when you want. If you are in a kayak, canoe, raft, barge, boat, skiff, paddleboat, etc., there isn't a snake out there that is going to jump in and get you. Plus, the last thing you want to do in a water craft is start firing a large caliber handgun/rifle at a snake while it's in the boat. True bayou country folk frequently do have snake charmers along for the ride (i.e. .410 shotgun of some variety or another) when they need to dispatch snakes or varmints that they haul in either on purpose or by accident or for some other reason, but it is never because they were assaulted by such a creature such that a concealed weapon on the body was immediately necessary.

I've never CCW'd in the Kayak I had (Perception Spirit), but would consider in some environments. In that high volume boat, I wouldn't put in in the vest, but on the left side (I shoot lefty) of the forward support divider between my thighs. Would modify a retention holster to mount on the divider reduce the excitement /pucker factor when rolling / crashing, but mount or add a small 'privacy screen' to keep quick glances to spot it when I'm out of it.

Sgt Pepper,
It's been ~25 years but I did have a 3' Water Moccasin swim to then climb onto the front deck of my kayak and straight towards me, while a group of us paddled down the Guadalupe.
Major pucker factor, I scooped him off with my paddle, tossed him as far as I could and paddled. Yes they will come aboard a kayak.

Aren’t there life vests available with MOLLE webbing? If so that would seem like the simplest answer. The gun would be readily available and if you got separated from the kayak it would remain with you. As for actually concealing it I suppose that might depend on the specifics of Florida law, but it seems like some type of flap or something might work.

Yes, I have been to south Florida, albeit briefly, but I grew up in the bayou country of southeast Texas. I have had lots of fun intimate times with cottonmouths, water moccasins, copperheads, coral snakes (deadly but not really a threat), and a host of large non-venomous snakes, etc. Pack what you want, where you want, how you want, when you want. If you are in a kayak, canoe, raft, barge, boat, skiff, paddleboat, etc., there isn't a snake out there that is going to jump in and get you. Plus, the last thing you want to do in a water craft is start firing a large caliber handgun/rifle at a snake while it's in the boat. True bayou country folk frequently do have snake charmers along for the ride (i.e. .410 shotgun of some variety or another) when they need to dispatch snakes or varmints that they haul in either on purpose or by accident or for some other reason, but it is never because they were assaulted by such a creature such that a concealed weapon on the body was immediately necessary.

Just playing devils advocate here, and not trying to put words in the OPs mouth, but when I canoe I tend to leave the canoe on occasion. Hard to get in and out of it from my truck:). Seriously I like to explore. Pull over on a bank and walk in the woods for a few minutes. Eat a snack. Maybe fish a bit. I know you can pack a gun and get it out when you get out but it would make sense just to carry it. I for one think the question is a good one. And for the record if you have spent any time in small boats or canoes then you know the threat of a snake falling into your boat is very real. For every one snake you see in the water there is 2 on tree limbs. Of course you are right shooting them in the boat is not usually a good idea

I keep a firearm in a watertight bag stuffed forward between my feet. A string is attached to the bag so I can retrieve it without a lot of effort. Can't get to it very fast but it is availiable for when I exit the kayak and I not going to loose it if the kayak rolls.

Have you looked at something like a Remora or Sticky holster? That might be something you could tuck into your skirt or inside your vest, if it's snug enough.

recoiljunky I now live in NC but I spent the first 40 years of my life down in south florida swamps as a avid hunter and outdoorsman. Never in my life did I feel a handgun was needed for a snake or other "critter" found in the back waters or swamps . You will have a paddle that will make a far better finisher or sweeper of any snake or even small gator that that feels it has to climb onto your kayak. Same way I used a rifle or shot gun or walking stick when on land. But you could also use any outdoors vest to stick your glock in a pocket just incase you see a wild swamp ape try'n to steal your kayak. ha. Use the vest for anything essentials and few other got'a haves ..
Knife, firestarter kits, whistel, spot, space banky, cheap thin pouncho, bug spray. http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/apparel-vest-safari-khaki.html

Now if your not a beginner at paddling around on the water and camping . PLAN doing this trip.
http://www.floridaadventuring.com/ten-thousand-islands-trip.html

You could be far better off owning a "Spot " and having it along rather than a handgun and a good machete style knife like one from SOG.

My big concern is finding a concealed carry rig for sky diving.

From the time I exit the plane until I hit ground any number of deadly force defensive scenarios could develop and come hell or high water I'm going to be ready.

I invite any and all suggestions.

(Yes......I have seen too many James Bond movies)

My big concern is finding a concealed carry rig for sky diving.

Shoulder holsters:

I spent 18 of my 20 years in the Alaska National Guard on Jump status. At the same time I was also with the Anchorage Police Dept. I have a heck of a lot of jumps while carrying either a pistol or revolver. Never had one come loose.

We were required to carry at all times per APD Regs. so I did. I mostly carried my Service Revolver (Model 28) when in the field, when in the rear (admin jumps) I carried a M1911a1.

The parachute harness secures your pistol/revolver quite well when you use shoulder holsters.

Hello, now lets start off with i already know that i am going to carry a glock 27 for this and know it works submerged and dirty. I'm looking for a way to conceal carry in heavly populated waterways to get to rural areas. I did a quick seach and could not find any good results on this. I don't really need to carry for fear of a criminal but more for various venimous snakes and critters. I was thinking of incorperating a holster into a life vest, but noy to sure about it. How would you carry and still have your weapon easily accesable?

Fanny Pack.

I wouldn't. What's the point of concealed carry in a kayak? Seriously??? More likely to win the powerball than a "kayak active shooter" scenario. Snakes? They ain't jumping into a kayak. Neither are critters. Either one, however, are relatively easily dispatched with non-firearm tools or even your hands. Wait a minute - is this April Fool's day, and I just got sucked in?

Snakes are known to climb into bass boats much less a Kayak. We also have gators around here. Gators who during breeding season become hostile and aggressive. Heck they just pulled a 12foot saltwater crocodile from lake Tarpon a month ago.

I always carry when legal. The likelihood of needing a firearm is already minimal so why change simply because the liklihood goes down slightly more? Murphy is not your friend and thats when he will be calling.

NAA loaded with SnakeShot inside a ZipLoc bag pinned to the inside of your bathing suit. unless yor are hunting Dragon Flies -- than you'll need a mini water proof Light Saber.

Hello, now lets start off with i already know that i am going to carry a glock 27 for this and know it works submerged and dirty.

Glad that I don't have to explain that to you, you made it so easy for me. lol.

I've been there with my Glock 19 several times, never worried for a fraction of a second. Here's how I did it, appendix style carry..with a larger shirt. Done. :) You're welcome.

If you have it and don't need it, so what? But if you need it and don't have it???? My vest has zipper pockets nice place for a S&W .38:o

Last time I kayaked in Florida, I carried a Glock 26 in a Galco pocket holster inside my swim trunks (which were actually styled like cargo shorts but aquatic - got them from Columbia Creek).

Went swimming with the Glock in my pocket and generally had a good time. Cleaned it at the end of the day and everything was good. Only downside was the suede pocket holster takes awhile to dry out in the Florida humidity.

Back