How to ship firearms

Can I take a gun out of state and transfer the firearm at a FFL in the other state?
Assuming it's legal for you to possess the firearm in the destination state, you can certainly transport it to that state yourself. Once it is there, you may not transfer possession to a resident of that state without going through an FFL.
Federal law allows you to ship a firearm to a resident of the same state (intrastate) as long as you have no reason to believe that the recipient is a prohibited person.
In theory. In practice it's getting very hard to find shippers who will allow this, even if it is legal.

Buzzcook Can I take a gun out of state and transfer the firearm at a FFL in the other state?
Yes, provided that firearm is legal to possess in that state.

I have out of state grandkids and great grandkids that I want to give my guns to. I'd like to give them in person.
There is no family exemption to federal firearms law.

To transfer to a resident of another state, requires using a licensed dealer in that state. You ship or hand deliver to the dealer, the recipient completes the Form 4473 and the dealer conducts the NICS check.

Under no circumstance can you just hand the firearms to a relative in another state.

Thanks guys. I thought as much.

Gifting the guns while I'm still here to watch the kids enjoy them seems like a better idea than after my ashes are scattered.

I was suprised that my local UPS store - one of those small franchise steps in a strip mall - accepted my FN FiveSeven, which was being returned to Customer Service for warranty work.

FN customer service had sent me t a mailing label, and when I told the UPS store that I was shipping a firearm, they said that since I aleady had a mailing label, they could take it.

The UPS store told me that they could not “originate” the shipment - they could not create a label, but if I already had a label, I was fine.

I had never heard of this before.

I was pleasantly surprised - the UPS Service Center was close for no apparent reason the 2nd day in a row, and I stopped by the UPS store expecting to be turned away.

I was suprised that my local UPS store - one of those small franchise steps in a strip mall - accepted my FN FiveSeven, which was being returned to Customer Service for warranty work.

FN customer service had sent me t a mailing label, and when I told the UPS store that I was shipping a firearm, they said that since I aleady had a mailing label, they could take it.

The UPS store told me that they could not “originate” the shipment - they could not create a label, but if I already had a label, I was fine.

I had never heard of this before.

I was pleasantly surprised - the UPS Service Center was close for no apparent reason the 2nd day in a row, and I stopped by the UPS store expecting to be turned away.
That's my understanding these days, is that for a non-FFL individual to ship a gun via UPS, as long as they have a shipping label issued/created by a FFL, it's ok. Otherwise, if they wanted to ship it themselves, it would be a no-go. However, that said, it's usually at the discretion of the individual shop and its specific policies.

Frank

Back