How to ship firearms

Tom, Thanks for the wisdom. Shipping firearms isnt something I do on a regular basis at all. Last time I shipped one it was a rifle back to the manufacturer for repair 30 years ago. I really do appreciate you responding to my post.....thanks

As for the shipping and label, I will use only my name as the shipper to the FFL holder address not the sons address that should cover me. I was never going to ship to the son. I know I cant ship handguns to the sons address. It will be up to the FFL holder that I ship to and son to do the form 4473 and NCIC check. It will be on them to do the lawful thing. I've been sitting on these guns for over 2 years because of the court backlog and I'm ready for them to be in the rightful owners hands.

Of the 8 FFL dealers in TOK, AK this guy is the only one that has responded to my inquiry of shipping to him and I have called and sent email to all 8.

Last edited:
Ok so I if I want to buy a black powder revolver from a unlicensed seller in another state can they ship it to my door? Do regular handgun shipping rules apply for black powder?

BlackPowderBen said:
Ok so I if I want to buy a black powder revolver from a unlicensed seller in another state can they ship it to my door?
If you're using U.S. mail, you can only lawfully do this if you're an 03 C&R FFL, the sender is also a FFL (C&R or otherwise), and the handgun is C&R eligible.

Per Publication 52 § 432.1.a, my emphasis underlined:
Firearm means any device, including a starter gun, which will, or is designed to, or may readily be converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or any destructive device; but the term shall not include antique firearms (except antique firearms meeting the description of a handgun or of a firearm capable of being concealed on a person).
Confusingly, the definition first exempts antiques, but then says that "a handgun or of a firearm capable of being concealed on a person" is not covered by the exemption. :confused: :rolleyes:

OK, so now that we've established that handguns aren't exempted...

Per Publication 52 § 432.2.a:
Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 431.2 and the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between curio and relic collectors only when those firearms also meet the definition of an antique firearm under 431.3.
The definition of "antique firearm" under 431.3 is basically similar to the ATF definition, i.e. black powder muzzleloaders, black powder replica handguns that don't fire fixed cartridges, pre-1899 firearms, and firearms that can only use "rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade."

However, a handgun must be both C&R eligible and an antique in order to satisfy § 432.2.a, so newer replicas must presumably be mailed under the same rules as modern handguns. :rolleyes: This makes 432.2.a a perilously narrow exception; since newly-made legal antiques (i.e. BP replicas and muzzleloaders) are pretty much unregulated by the ATF except as it relates to the NFA, the ATF has no compelling reason to place them on the published C&R list, so most legal antiques that are C&R got that way by virtue of being 50+ years old. (In case you're unaware, the definition of a C&R firearm specifically excludes replicas.)

I haven't checked whether UPS and FedEx differentiate between a modern firearm and an antique.
BlackPowderBen said:
Do regular handgun shipping rules apply for black powder?
With the USPS—unlike with the ATF—the C&R FFL exception is the ONLY "goodie" that you earn for having an antique firearm rather than a modern one. :( The term "antique" appears nowhere else in Publication 52 other than the definition.

[IANAL disclaimers apply.]

Last edited:
UPS, FedEx, and antique handguns...

Now that I've had the time to check the tariffs...

From the FedEx Rules Tariff:
2. Firearms
a. Carrier will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between... [list of parties]
Since antique firearms are not considered firearms under the GCA, this provision implicitly exempts antiques from FedEx restrictions on firearms shipments.

Similarly, from the UPS Guide to Shipping Firearms and Ammunition:
UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.
Both 18 USC § 921(a)(3) and 26 USC § 5845(a) say that antiques are outside the scope of the regulations. Hence, UPS also implicitly exempts antiques from their firearm shipment restrictions.

Last edited:
Change in FedEx policy, or were employees misguided?

I encountered a recent change regarding FedEx. I don't know if this is a new national FedEx policy or if this occurred only because someone put a weird bug in the ears of local FedEx employees. My local FedEx office is not a regional center, but it is more than a small mom and pop location. It is a relatively large FedEx storefront, which the FedEx website lists as a FedEx Office Print & Ship Center.

In recent years, I have shipped 2 or 3 handguns from that location to licensed repair sites. The FedEx employees always questioned me closely about it, but they shipped my handguns each time; until yesterday. I went in to ship a handgun to a major manufacturer for repair. The very same employees who previously accepted my handguns for shipping told me that they will not accept a handgun for shipping unless I have a pre-printed shipping label from the recipient.

In a few days, I will drive 45 minutes each way and try to ship this handgun from the regional FedEx center.

FedEx again

Here is an update to the my post above. Today (four days later) I drove to the regional FedEx center, and they accepted the same gun to be shipped to the same repair facility without the slightest hesitation. They did not request a pre-printed label or any such nonsense. I still don't know if my experience on May 27 represents a national change in FedEx policy, or if it was simply a case of misinformed employees at my local FexEx office.

David Wozniak said:
My question is can I send a well-licensed firearm, like pistol or rifle to any other country from America
The question is too vague and complex enough to be beyond the reasonable scope of this thread.

There are complex U. S. rules regarding the export of firearms, ammunition and related items. A lot depends on exactly what would be shipped overseas and to where. Then there's are issues with the laws of the country into which it would be imported.

So shipping a gun to another country will most likely require a U. S. export license and an import license issued by the destination country.

I wanted to export Px4 Storm SubCompact pocket Pistol. But this task was more complicated and the big problem is I am a Muslim and they rejected me to export firearm.

Is that reasonable that Muslims can take the safety? :confused:
your suggestion was good, thanks anyway.

David Wozniak .....and the big problem is I am a Muslim and they rejected me to export firearm.

Is that reasonable that Muslims can take the safety?
your suggestion was good, thanks anyway.

Huh?
What does being a Muslim have to do with anything?:rolleyes:

And I'm not aware of any document regarding the import, export or transfer of a firearm that asks what religion you are.

Huh?
What does being a Muslim have to do with anything?:rolleyes:

And I'm not aware of any document regarding the import, export or transfer of a firearm that asks what religion you are.
Ethnic background but no religious declarations. Recently bought a rifle. On the FFL transfere form it asked white, black, hispanic, etc. No religion! That info used to belong on our dog tags lol.

Aloha

I'm in the military and my home of record is in Idaho (my parents' address). Would I be able to ship a rifle from myself to myself from my current physical address (New Mexico) to my home of record in Idaho without sending to an FFL?

I'm in the military and my home of record is in Idaho (my parents' address). Would I be able to ship a rifle from myself to myself from my current physical address (New Mexico) to my home of record in Idaho without sending to an FFL?

There is a specific allowance in the law for shipping a gun from yourself to yourself in another location. That is used all the time by hunters who ship their gun to an out-of-state outfitter before a booked hunt. So, if you want to do that yourself ship it just before you go on leave back home.

Update on the OP, the ATF FFL EZcheck doesnt check type 03 and 06 FFLs.

Is there a legal need for a mere mortal like me to double check the FFL of an 06 dealer I want to ship to?

Federal law allows you to ship a firearm to a resident of the same state (intrastate) as long as you have no reason to believe that the recipient is a prohibited person.

Wow! I did not know that...

Can I take a gun out of state and transfer the firearm at a FFL in the other state?

I have out of state grandkids and great grandkids that I want to give my guns to. I'd like to give them in person.

Buzzcook said:
Can I take a gun out of state and transfer the firearm at a FFL in the other state?

I have out of state grandkids and great grandkids that I want to give my guns to. I'd like to give them in person.
Handguns, rifles, or both?

David is presumably asking can he sell (usually what international export means) to the states. State Department as well as other agencies has a say on which countries can sell arms into the US under what circumstances--permits and licenses would need to be in order in both export and import countries. Hard to tell if what he really means is can he bring his own weapon with him if he came to the states.

State/Fed laws regarding transfers do not necessarily mean that shippers themselves do not selectively apply their own requirements. I'd check into those very carefully nowadays as you could end up with your firearm gone forever with no recourse.

From the time I ordered it it took many months to get my Prazi press from Germany--not even a firearm, but firearm related from a export friendly country--took a long time just to get the necessary import/export docs processed and approved.

Last edited:
Back